The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2nd, 4th & Reverse not engaging.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Probationary Member
May 17, 2018
larned, Kansas
Took the car out last night for break in. Everything went perfectly except I lost control of 2nd, 4th & reverse. I can come the shifter levers on the tranny into gear by hand. Linkages look good, nothing is binding, and the U clips are snug. What should I check? Shifter cables are only a year old. Billet shift fork.

Well typically if you are losing those gears the cause is a missing shift cable retainer clip on the shift cable bracket, or you have something hitting the shift lever or counterweight on the shift lever assembly on the transmission.

Well typically if you are losing those gears the cause is a missing shift cable retainer clip on the shift cable bracket, or you have something hitting the shift lever or counterweight on the shift lever assembly on the transmission.

New OEM shift cable U retainers are in place and snug.
I have verified nothing is hitting the counterweight or shift lever assembly.
Later tonight, I will be checking shifter base inside car and shift cable bracket on tranny to make sure they aren't loose and moving around.

Shifter linkage U clip came off on the console. Everything is fixed now.

Attachments

• 20180521_033629.jpg
    20180521_033629.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 300
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back