The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2g upper ball joint size question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CdubsBlackTalon

Probationary Member
Feb 1, 2016
golden, Colorado
I am finishing up my 6 bolt swap and while everything was out figured I would replace some parts like the upper ball joints. I ordered a set from rock auto, MOOG PN K90264. I searched the part number and everywhere I look says this is the right part number. When I went to install them, they are significantly smaller in diameter than the ones I took out and just drop into the hole in the upper control arm.

My question is, was there a difference in years for the upper ball joint? I bought the car with a lot of things already done to it so I am not sure if the upper control arm is even stock (it looks stock, not tubular or anything). Are there kits or upgrades from other platforms that are common on 2g's?

I can upload photos if it helps, and if it matters, i can also grab the diameter off the ball joint that is on there at the moment. If there is anything else that would help, let me know.

Thanks!
Cody

The housing themselfs might differ from whom ever made the arm in the first place, so if its oem vs say a moog arm one might not fit the other,

AFAIK no revisions made on the oem arms so your issue might be aftermarket part to oem or aftermarket to another brand,

I didn't find any part numbers on the old joint or the arm. The arm just has a big "L" stamped into it. I'd imagine the passenger side has an "R".

Measuring the two, the old one measured 36mm and the new one measure 34.4mm. It didn't match up with a standard measurement either.

The two side by side. The old one has the ridges while the new one does not.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The gap when inserted in the arm
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yeah I just did the same. Looking at pictures of different control arms from manufacturers everything seems to line up visually with Mevotech. So I just ordered a new set of control arms with the joints. Might as well, everything else is new.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back