The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2g timing belt gets soft after sitting then tight after starting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsubro93

5+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2018
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Hi so I just replaced my timing belt and I notice that after sitting there is a soft tension between the cam gears but after running it feels stiffer to the touch? Also my car backfires and hesitates around 2000 rpm Im using a 1996 engine with a 1998 ecu so I have the inverted cam sensor. Could this be the reason why?

Getting lax after running is fine and normal, its just the hydraulic tensionor relaxing, as long as its within its spec range then nothing to worry about

IDK guys my friend told me to pull the covers double check it just in case so that's what I'll do. I already started takin stuff back off tomorrow ill borrow an impact again take off my crank pulley lets see whats happening below the hood before we jump to conclusions. better safe then sorry mess this up kiss your valves and pistons bye bye

I took my wheel off rotated my motor clockwise and once i was back at TDC my belt tension got rock hard so i think i'm good i used a new Mitsubishi tensioner as well or do you think i should pull off everything and actually look?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be much further ahead in this world if you take the advice of experience rather than your "friend" said this or this or this...

I agree with you because what we as people may find weird can be totally normal for the car. Also I ordered a 1996 eclipse gst ecu last week should be here tomorrow ill plug that in to fix my issue. Last but not least im only takin my timin covers off so that i can double check to make sure i tightened the tensioner arms bolt LOL the one with the bearing i know i did but still

Update got all my timing covers off was a tad bit annoying since i had to buy an impact to do my harmonic damper removal never remove that with a wrench youll spin the engine ccw! Anyways everything is perfect in spec all my marks are at tdc belt tension is tight auto tensioner gap within spec i used a ruler so i know. Now my uncle is going to give it one last look before i put all the covers back on. A word of avice however when taking the alt belt off make sure your lifting and lowering the motor mine got a verrry small tear in the edge Nothing insane but if it squeaks ill replace it again;)

Update after we gave it a final inspection i bolted everything back together and now ill plug in the 1996 ecu tomorrow and run it to listen it. I will say my only pet peeve about this was my alternator belt had to slightly get bent against that front frame rail to come out smh! Its still fine just a word of caution if any of you ever do it remember to lower ur motor and raise it so u can put the alt pulley back on which is also a pita since u have to line up three bolt holes to put back on but aside from that not bad fixing these cars is real straightforward. Also to planzero you can just swap wires and run it but it will run very bad im sure if you changed up the injectors it could maybe be perfect but i doubt it and who wants to cut into a factory harness if you dont have to thats why i just got a 96 ecu problem solved.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back