The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Solid Roof Car ... Anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techboy

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2018
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
My really close friend had a non-sunroof 2G Talon probably 20 years ago. I had the opportunity to buy it and didn't - and I'm still kicking myself seeing how the metal surround on all these sunroofs rusts out. Anybody else out there have a solid roof car? I haven't seen one since his. I'd love to see some pics. :thumb:

Whats with the Fetish of a non moon roofed car LOL there are plenty of them about, mine is non MR, never liked the weight of them anyway

I want one to my dream shell is

95-96 gsx

W/ ac
Manual locks
Manual windows
No rear wiper
No sunroof
No cruise
Ect ect ect nothing besides 5spd awd and a/c
Would never happen, only the RS got manual everything, GS got some manual stuff and optionals and the rest above pretty much got it all,

So if you want manual stuff you have to buy a gsx and depower it all and go back to manual

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats with the Fetish of a non moon roofed car LOL there are plenty of them about, mine is non MR, never liked the weight of them anyway

Would never happen, only the RS got manual everything, GS got some manual stuff and optionals and the rest above pretty much got it all,

So if you want manual stuff you have to buy a gsx and depower it all and go back to manual

Maybe in Europe they are more common. :idontknow: I've been around these cars since you could buy them on the lot and I've only ever seen 1 in person. The sunroof sucks - so that's my fetish - I want one!! Hopefully I get to see PlanZero's ^^^ real soon.

Maybe in Europe they are more common. :idontknow: I've been around these cars since you could buy them on the lot and I've only ever seen 1 in person. The sunroof sucks - so that's my fetish - I want one!! Hopefully I get to see PlanZero's ^^^ real soon.
There are only 14 or slightly more in the UK, both my chassis are hard roofed, a few of my friends are too,

Let me see if i got a pic of the roof

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
It has the good quarter windows too!

I've seen a handful, but they are all 95s. It seemed like that was the best chance you had at getting a turbo car with no sunroof.

This is about as good as i got for roof shots! Not many as its not common for me to take roof shots LOL

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have seen a lot of hard top cars, but like others have said here, they are usually only on low option cars without the other power options which is always the N/T cars RS and GS. The turbo cars were not low option cars and they pretty much all had sun roofs here in the states unfortunately.

Quarter window glass only came on hard top cars, tsi or esi, hard top 98 only
Interesting. I did not know this.

I have seen a lot of hard top cars, but like others have said here, they are usually only on low option cars without the other power options which is always the N/T cars RS and GS. The turbo cars were not low option cars and they pretty much all had sun roofs here in the states unfortunately.
I had a 95 TSI FWD w/power seats for a little while that was a hard top. I don't think talons followed any rules .

I believe the moonroofs were options as they all did not have them it seems it was an option, just like power seats! Not all had that either,

Interesting. I did not know this.

I had a 95 TSI FWD w/power seats for a little while that was a hard top. I don't think talons followed any rules .

I agree. My good friends car that was talking about in the OP was a Talon TSi, so turbo of course, but it had a solid roof. It was a really different green color that I haven't seen very often - almost like a hunter green, not the emerald everyone knows on the Eclipses. Wish I had a picture of that car somewhere.

And to back ec17pse's point, my 99 GST has the non-powered leather seats. I prefer it that way - so much lighter!

Last edited:
I prefer to call mine a slick top. My 97 gsx is a none sunroof car and I'm the same way every time I see a turbo 2g I look for a sunroof, LOL. Guess I have a fetish too. They are less conman and have a little more head room. I'm six foot and alway skim my head in my girlfriends gsx with sun roof so the extra inch or so helps in a slick top car.

I have a 95 awd tsi that's slick top as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer to call mine a slick top. My 97 gsx is a none sunroof car and I'm the same way every time I see a turbo 2g I look for a sunroof, LOL. Guess I have a fetish too. They are less conman and have a little more head room. I'm six foot and alway skim my head in my girlfriends gsx with sun roof so the extra inch or so helps in a slick top car.

There are 3 different seat styles, the one offering the best head room is the manual seat with manual lower seat adjustment wheel

Base level trim was one of the worst for head room, non adjustable lower seat. I had real problems with only 1 of my gs cars, I had an rs with a moon roof that had better fitment

Mid level with lower seat adjustment wheel: great for fitment and head room. I'm six foot 4 and car fits great

Top level trim had power upper and lower seat adjustment. I've only had one 96 gst with this option. Seat fit well however it felt like I was sitting on a flack slick wide surface compared to the trim level 2 seats. Originally they were more padded but were easily more flattened foam over time.

There are 3 different seat styles, the one offering the best head room is the manual seat with manual lower seat adjustment wheel

Base level trim was one of the worst for head room, non adjustable lower seat. I had real problems with only 1 of my gs cars, I had an rs with a moon roof that had better fitment

Mid level with lower seat adjustment wheel: great for fitment and head room. I'm six foot 4 and car fits great

Top level trim had power upper and lower seat adjustment. I've only had one 96 gst with this option. Seat fit well however it felt like I was sitting on a flack slick wide surface compared to the trim level 2 seats. Originally they were more padded but were easily more flattened foam over time.
Good to know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back