The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 2g shifter to tall

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm panda

5+ Year Contributor
Dec 8, 2017
Franklin, Wisconsin
So I just recently picked up a awd 96 tsi and compared to my 1g cars the shifter feels to tall. The throw is fine I'd like to avoid a short throw shifter as the car has a freshly rebuilt trans and I'd like to keep it shifting this good but I feel like I'm I'm driveing a semi truck with how high my hand is. Is there any aftermarket shifter that's just shorter in hight?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
just cut an inch or two out of it an weld (or have it welded) back together

Last edited:
i would think someone makes one but i always just cut down the stock shifter. Its quick, easy and cheap (like a hooker).

My Talon had this done by the previous owner. I didn't truly appreciate it until I moved on to my GS-T Spyder. The throw doesn't really need to be shorter but the arm itself could stand to drop 2"!

I've had nothing but bad experiences with aftermarket shift levers for the DSM platform. This mod is cheap AND it has been better than the aftermarket units that I have used.

I have only heard bad things about short throws I just want it more like my 1g cars it feels so wrong being that long. Does The shifter still sit in a good spot in gear i.e doesn't hit the center console or anything like that? I feel like everytime I go into 1st or 3rd I'm going to punch my radio LOL I just got the car so far that is my biggest issue with it... thanks guys I guess it looks like a cut and weld job.

I have only heard bad things about short throws I just want it more like my 1g cars it feels so wrong being that long. Does The shifter still sit in a good spot in gear i.e doesn't hit the center console or anything like that? I feel like everytime I go into 1st or 3rd I'm going to punch my radio LOL I just got the car so far that is my biggest issue with it... thanks guys I guess it looks like a cut and weld job.

There's nothing wrong with a short throw, as long as you buy the right one. The Megan and other knock offs out there are poorly made with sloppy tolerances, this leads to a poor quality shift.

The only 2G short throw I trust are the B&M that are unfortunately discontinued and tend to carry a high price tag if they hit the used market. The difference in overall shifter height is negligible, but you no longer feel like you're going to punch your radio when you shift hard.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back