The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2g rear diff issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXBAM

Probationary Member
Mar 23, 2014
Lancaster, California
How can I tell if the rear diff I bought is for a manual or auto?

Spin the pinion and verify the ratio.

I have verified that it is for a manual. I have another question I bought an LSD rear diff for a manual thinking that it was the same one that I had in my car that went bad. I swapped it out and using the same axles as before. After a little research I have figured out that the axles I have are not LSD axles. After about a mile or two of driving my car the drivetrain locks up on me. When I say locks up, I am referring to me taking off from a complete stop and the car will barely move as if I was pressing on the brakes, holding the car back. Do you know if this is from having the wrong axles in the LSD diff? Any help would be appreciated!

You SURE about them being the same ratio as your front?

I am not sure I had no idea what I was doing. I thought all GSX had Lsd rear diffs.

Is there an orange sticker on the door jam on the drivers side? It will state that your car is equipped with a LSD differential on AWD cars.

I will look into that right after work.. If it's not equipped with LSD which at this point I don't think it is, Am I not allowed use a LSD diff? What else would I have to change besides getting some LSD axles?

I recently purchased a used 4 Bolt LSD from Miller Import Parts, a supporting vendor here on this site that was in the classifieds (which you probably can't get to yet, so keep posting to get to 30!). You can however always email or call them (Steve) and ask if they have any. I have 3 bolt and 4 bolt LSD's. The 3 bolt are more common but not as strong of a unit. You can swap a LSD into a non-LSD, that's no problem just make sure you are getting it for a standard or an auto, whichever you have so they match in ratio's. You will want to get the axles, cups and center rear dif all as one that way all components fit together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back