The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G owners running fuel cells

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No, I wish that was it. I've switched hoods a bunch of times and currently use a Speedglas. I have it set it up as a passive lens hood to try to help, but it doesn't. DC bothers me as well, it just takes longer. 5 minutes welding aluminum and I have a debilitating migraine.

Also, it's only my right eye.

Can you weld with just one eye? Maybe wear a patch over your right eye?

Don't think you would lose your depth perception by just using one eye? Might be off alil bit I'm sure you could train it with practice. Not like no one has never done something that was deemed undoabke before.

Don't think you would lose your depth perception by just using one eye? Might be off alil bit I'm sure you could train it with practice. Not like no one has never done something that was deemed undoabke before.

Try walking a titerope with an eye patch. When your doing percision work you want all the advantage you can.

Try walking a titerope with an eye patch. When your doing percision work you want all the advantage you can.

I know what your talking about but if it were me choosing btwn subbing outcwnd losing money or trying to train myself to do it differently, I would at least try to make it work. I understand its precision work though.

Sorry to ruin the thread and get back on topic guys. Lol. But wondering how difficult it'd be to make a dual fuel cell setup. One on each side of the driveshaft and each containing a fuel pump versus having to spend like $500 for a dual fuel pump setup (plus the pumps) but somehow make it to where fuel gets from one side of the tank to the other. Just a thought, if no one has thought of this already. Figure you could have 2 lines come together at a one point. Orrrrr, make them totally separate. One for pump gas, the other for well, whatever other fuel you plan on using. HHmmm....

Only problem with that would be you would need to have a 2 return hoses and 2 feeds and a few valves as well. You could switch the feed and return lines on the rail and the regulator but then the time saved from switching fuel would be less than to change the lines. You could also have a diffident entire fuel system for each fuel run 8 injectors and an ems that would let you set it up to change fuels based on engine load or boost.

No, you could run each fuel line from the tank to a Y for the feed. And the same for the return. You'd just need a valve for the return so it goes back into the proper tank. That'd only be needed if you use each tank for different fuels though. If they always use the same fuel, it wouldn't matter. Just have to make sure that fuel can go to and from each tank at the same time though.

I am going to be cutting my spare tire well out and replacing it with 1/16" aluminum sheet. I plan to use some kind of weather-proof sealant as well as rivets to hold the sheet in place. What kind of rivets should I use? Steel or aluminum? I obviously want to prevent any kind of corrosion. My cell is going to be mounted underneath the car to the new sheet. Will I need to use aluminum hardware and brackets to mount the cell? Is it true that in doing this I will be required to build a cage around the cell to make it track legal?

I am thinking of putting an 8 gallon fuel cell where the spare tire used to be but not cutting out the bump. It is about 9" from the base of the spare tire well to the spare tire well cover. On summit racing they have vertical 8 gallon cells that are 10.25" in height. If you cut out a hole the size of the fuel cell to drop it down a little more you should be able to keep the cell covered with the factory spare tire cover.

Will the car smell like gas with a fuel cell sitting in the trunk? I would be worried, especially after filling up, to be choking on fumes.

I know this is an old thread, but it seems like the right place to ask. I'm setting up my car for road race, and about to do some seam welding. I'm probably going to drop the tank to do so. And am wondering what the actual reasons/advantages are to switching to a fuel cell over the OEM fuel tank setup. I'm also wondering what the purpose of cutting out the spare tire well is, other than de-cluttering and maybe shedding a few lbs possibly? I can't see that reducing all that much weight?? Doesn't really seem to me like the spare tire well would be in the way of an undertray or diffuser either? Appreciate any input you guys could shed on the subject.

*RAISES THE DEAD*

The biggest advantage of a fuel cell is having the ability to run dual in-line fuel pumps in parallel.
The stock fuel tank does not have the ability unless you do drop-in a dual hangar.
Weight savings is fairly minor. For road racing, a HydraMat fuel pickup is a big advantage of having a fuel cell, keep the fuel from starving at high-G.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back