The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

General 2g maf on my 1g questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbgriffin

Proven Member
Jun 14, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
So I finally collected everything I needed to swap over to a 2g maf. Filter adapter, filter, 2g maf, and a harness adapter from ohm racing(for simplicity). Now I should state I don't have link installed yet, but it next on the list. Need to get my ECU socketed. But I didn't see any harm in installing the 2g maf in the meantime. So I did, and it took some doing with stretching my 1g intake pipe. But I finally got it with a little heat. So I go out for a quick test drive. Quickly realizing I'm running dangerously lean. I have a cheap Megan air/fuel gauge for right now, just to give me some idea. And I know they suck, because of the oscillating narrowband signal. But it's better than nothing, and definitely saved my ass that day. So I went home and changed back to my 1g maf.
Now for my questions, finally LOL. 1st, is this to be expected without a way to tune? I've done a lot of reading about this, but haven't got a solid answer. I also know a dirty maf will cause a lean condition, because the unmetered air getting passed. I'm told it gets worse at higher rpm, which I observed in my case.
2nd, I have a good set of 550cc injectors I could throw in. I recently read on the vfaq's that with 2g maf/550's, not much tuning will be needed. The thing is, I'm not gonna go through all of that again without confirmation? Or should I just grow some patience til I get link? Sorry for the long novel, and thanks for any input.

Pssst, sell the 2g MAF setup and go SD and DSMlink.... Thank me later.. :hellyeah:
Maybe someday, but for now I'm gonna stick with the 2g maf. For my modest goals, it should be fine. Plus I don't know the 1st thing about tuning with SD. I'm told it's a hole different animal to tune.

I ran evo 560cc injectors and an evo mad for a while with an safc. The tweaks were very small. You should have no problem balancing out your lean condition with those 550's. It won't be perfect but good for some fun. Just make sure u watch that afr.

I ran evo 560cc injectors and an evo mad for a while with an safc. The tweaks were very small. You should have no problem balancing out your lean condition with those 550's. It won't be perfect but good for some fun. Just make sure u watch that afr.
Good to know. But I think my issues are solved. I'm buying link and a socketed ECU off the classifieds. Pretty excited! But it's good to know I won't have to tweak much. Thanks again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back