The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G GSX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sypherzero

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2008
Marion, North_Carolina
Hey everyone, this is my 95 GSX, that purchased March of this 2011. When I got it, it had KYB AGXs, Ground Control sleeves, Eibach springs, Energy Suspension bushings front to rear, Stillen tower bars, and some larger sway bars. I was told they were Stillen too, but I can't seem to find any info online about Stillen sway bars for the 2G. Its got 84k original miles, and very, very minor surface rust here and there.

The previous owner got rid of all of the interior except for the dash, and a stripped steering wheel. No air bags, carpet, speakers, nothing! He was a DIY kind of person, and he custom made some sheet metal door covers, spare tire delete (he cut out the spare tire well), some under body "aero" covers, front splash guard, and some "swiss cheese" style door pans he planned to weld in.

So far I've bought an Injen intake pipe, 1g BOV, Dejon UICP, OEM side mound, OEM T25, 2GB bumpers, high rise spoiler, 2G five spokes, freshened up trans, transfer case and a bunch of other crap! Gotta love Pull A Parts, right? Even after all of the stuff I've gotten, its still a long way from being done though.

I've also had my fair share of set backs along the way. In May a small tornado touched down next door to our house, knocking a huge ass tree through our neighbor's house, and into my shed. It ended up costing me about $200 in material, and a few hours worth of work. And in all the chaos, I lost the only key to the GSX. Go figure, huh?

I was preping the block to go to the machine shop one morning. I was removing all of the freeze plugs, until I got to the trans side. Where I couldn't remove the two plugs on the trans side. So my dumb ass decided it would be a good idea to drill a hole in one of the plugs, so I could put a threaded screw in there, and yank the plug out. Well... The drill bit went straight through cylinder wall.

So then I picked up a block from a somewhat local guy. After hours of searching by the guy I got it from and myself, he found out that it is an early Evo block. So now I've got some JDM shiz yo! Or so I think...

Recently the people who own the land our house is on, decided I can't have the GSX here unless its operable. And I'm not allowed to work on it here. So its sitting at my soon to be in-law's house. And now my fiance and I are looking for a new house. And hopefully, we will find something with a garage! That's what I'm hoping for at least, haha. So its kind of on hold for now, but lots of future plans.

Including but not limited to;
Powder coating various suspension parts
Some sort of undercoating/weatherproofing
Rear diff bushings
Carrier bushings
Complete the interior
Relocate battery to trunk
Grind and primer the section where the spare tire well was
And so on....

Engine
Evo III block, stock bore
Balance shaft bearings rotated 90*
ARP Head and main studs
NPR Piston Rings
ACL Main and Rod Race Bearings, .010 over
Felpro Gasket Set
OEM Timing Belt
ENGNBLDR 3mm lifters
ENGNBLDR SS valves
OEM BSE kit
Prothane motor mount inserts

Turbo/Intercooler
OEM T-25 (I know, its puny)
Extreme PSI SS oil feed
OEM intercooler
Greddy SMIC piping kit
Greddy Type RS BOV

Cooling
Undetermined

Suspension
KYB AGX shocks/struts
Ground Control coil-over sleeves
Energy suspension bushing kit (full)
Front and rear sway bars (I was told Stillen?)
Stillen strut tower bars

Braking
OEM Dual Piston Front Calipers
OEM Single Piston Rear Calipers
Powerstop Rear Rotors
Goodridge SS brake lines
Power Stop rear drilled rotors

Trans
OEM 2g 5spd recently rebuilt
OEM flywheel

Interior
99 Limited edition silver faced gauge cluster
Black/gray leather door panels
GS gray cloth seats

GSXonthewayhome.gif

The day I brought it home
DSCF2013.gif

Dash before
GSXInterior2.gif

Dash after
DSCF2055.gif

Front before
DSCF2281.gif

Front after
DSCF2010.gif

Rear before
DSCF2280.gif

Rear after

Last edited:
cant you tell the people that own your land your fixing it up as a daily driver so you can get back and forth to work? LOL

nice start on the build btw!!!!!

cant you tell the people that own your land your fixing it up as a daily driver so you can get back and forth to work? LOL

nice start on the build btw!!!!!

Thank you, I honestly appreciate it! I've tried to explain that to them, and they basically said they don't care. Thats why my fiance and I are hoping to get another place in the next month to six weeks. Then say screw em' and sell our current place. Then I can have my car all the time! And possibly a garage!

Yea, the land lords mush have never had a car they cared about, and can't understand what your trying to do with it. Anyways, lots of work ahead of you, good luck with the build.

First update of 2012
Not really an update, but more of a set back, haha. I was working on getting the calipers taken apart to rebuild them. Then after smashing the shit out of my finger using compressed air to blow the pistons out, I learned that the fronts are definitely fubared. And the rears are just as fubared. So I need new calipers, front and frickin rear. So I have a couple of questions. On the rear, my rotors are solid. Can I just bolt on the calipers that are made for vented rotors? Or would that require a different bracket? Also, are there any bolt on upgrades for the 2g GSX?

like i said your gettin there! good find. will look bad ass with a new paint job. sorry i cant help about the calipers.. i dont know much about them. although i have heard of people using 3000GT calipers... just a thought.

which 2gb front bumper is that... i noticed the diamond star is a triangle in that pic. my body shop is going to be getting me the same bumper or its the same ones they use.. what brand is it.. i know its not OEM

like i said your gettin there! good find. will look bad ass with a new paint job. sorry i cant help about the calipers.. i dont know much about them. although i have heard of people using 3000GT calipers... just a thought.

which 2gb front bumper is that... i noticed the diamond star is a triangle in that pic. my body shop is going to be getting me the same bumper or its the same ones they use.. what brand is it.. i know its not OEM
Thanks! I honestly have no idea man. I got it, a rear bumper, seats, and headlights for $100, so I didn't ask, haha. I'll look at it tomorrow though.

1/16/12 Update
I've found front calipers from Miller Import Parts here in NC, and may be getting the rears for the slotted rotors from a boardie. Anyways, I worked on the car a little today. Got a few small parts I'm going to powder coat. Other than that, anyone notice some differences?

Before
DSCF2886.gif

After
DSCF2887.gif

What is this? The thing to the bottom left of the fuel filter. It was on the charcoal canister.
DSCF2888.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with your build you have a lot of work ahead of you.
Yeah, its going to be a bit of a bumpy road.

if you dont have emissions id rip out all of the EVAP and EGR stuff while you have the engine out.. makes life easy.
Thats what I'm thinking about doing. I want to keep the heater though, it gets cold here, haha.

1/17/12 Update
Got a few parts in the past week, and some today. Got a set of 2gb fogs, Victor Reinz MLS head gasket, gray and black door panels, glove box, and an entire set of locks with a key! I'm stoked about the key and locks seeings to how I lost my only key to the car back in May of 2011. I'm going to get some copies made tomorrow, ###### a dozen or so, haha. More updates with tax money. Until next time, peace!

Last edited:
2/1/12 Update
Just got a set of re manufactured front calipers in the mail today. Ordered a set of poly motor mounts, and will have a SS clutch line, and Evo IX wheels tomorrow! Also, I will be doing the Oil Port Mod #1 in the next couple of days, and the engine IS going to the machine shop on Tuesday. A little more progress, stay tuned. Peace!

2/8/12 Update
Got the poly motor mounts the other day. They sent red instead of black, kind of pissed about that, but eh. Got a few more parts ordered, t-stat housing, knock sensor. Also, I finally got the engine to the machine shop! Hopefully will have that back in the next week or so, and I can finally start assembly. Or so I think, haha. Peace!

Nice work. I believe that "thing" is the breather line from the gas tank. I just routed that down with a piece of hose on my car.

3/2/12 Status Update
My fiance and I are moving in the next week or so. Car is going to be moved to the new place, and I'm going to lay a concrete slab so I can get the car up in the air, and I'm going to start on a slight wire tuck. Still waiting on my engine from the machine shop... Been almost a month now, getting kind of impatient though. Blah.

3/21/12 Update
Its been a crazy few weeks! Got moved into our new home, getting ready to sell the old place. Left my shitty ass job at Ingles. And I found out on the March 7th, I'm going to be a dad! I'm so stoked, and nervous as hell, haha. Going to tell my fiances family tonight....

Anyways, picked up my block from Leicester Auto Parts yesterday, it looks great!
It was hot tanked, honed, decked, the balance shaft bearings rotated 180 degrees, and the crank was polished. My shed should be moved to the new house by the end of the week, and I'll have the car here in about 2 weeks. Until then, peace!

BlockandCrankfromshop.gif

PolishedCrank.gif

Re-surfacedblock.gif

And this one is of her sitting next to my fiance's 64.5 Mustang. Just waiting...
Shesits2-22.gif

Build looks like its coming along nicely.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back