The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g Evo X\9\8 Brembo without JDM knuckles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interested in this setup. I've done a lot of reserch in either A) upgrading my evo's brakes and putting those on my eclipse, or B) putting new rotors/pads/lines on my evo and pickin up a set of used calipers for my eclipse and using my stock evo rotors/pads with 25k miles on my eclipse.
Cheapest so far is doing B). So lemme know when you can have those brackets ready for shipment, I should be picking up the other parts within this next week. Already sourced out pads,rotors and calipers for less than 650 shipped.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone that prepaid for these brackets, I will be getting them out shortly.
Here's some picture of the new 3\8" steel design.The stock ears were cut off to save weight. Good luck hunting for brembo guys. Miniturbo23 just got all 4 calipers\pads and rotors for $300 so he prove that u can get brembo bbk for under $500 cheaper than a set of jdm knuckles.
would anybody like brackets for CTS-V brembo with 14" G37 rotors, since there really cheap for new parts?

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,346
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 910
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how this would apply to these brackets since I have no data on how hot they really get but I just ran a hardness test on my friends 6061-T6 motorcycle brake rotor mount that was on his bike for about a year and we found that is was very soft. We think that the heat cycling from the brake system had removed the heat treating that the part originally had.

So it is possible to remove the heat treatment from aluminum by overheating the component but I have no idea if these brackets get anywhere near hot enough.

With that said, I would still give it a shot if I came up on some Evo brakes.

I'm not sure how this would apply to these brackets since I have no data on how hot they really get but I just ran a hardness test on my friends 6061-T6 motorcycle brake rotor mount that was on his bike for about a year and we found that is was very soft. We think that the heat cycling from the brake system had removed the heat treating that the part originally had.

So it is possible to remove the heat treatment from aluminum by overheating the component but I have no idea if these brackets get anywhere near hot enough.

With that said, I would still give it a shot if I came up on some Evo brakes.

Lets put a rest on the aluminum debate I only gave out steel one to the people on the board. Personally I still prefer the aluminum one for some reason. if any one wants them,they will be cut from steel only.

LOL Well if they were JDM knuckles you would not need the brackets so I don't understand what are you talking about.:thumb:

The evo x calipers will fit the jdm knuckles with evo x rotors only. If you read my first post you would have known that. The difference is the evo X caliper has longer arms for bigger rotors.How I know this because I have them both in my hands.Those picture above are X calipers and the 2pc x rotors.

Thanks for the INFO but I still don't see the JDM knuckles in the pics?Did you mil down the JDM knuckles?

There is no jdm knuckles in any of the pictures there just stock 2g shave down.

My new(used) calipers will be in on tuesday. I got that set on ebay with the stainless lines included! Paid470 shipped. I'm picking up the rotorpros package with crossdrilled/slotted rotrs,stainless lines and pads of my choice for 350 shipped off ebay. I will be contacting you soon for the brackets KMV. Both my cars will get upgraded. New rotros/pads/lines on my evo, evo upgrade to eclipse with old rotors and pads!

you have these brackets in stock ready to rock?
should be in the next week I hope.

Hey guys, I don't know if I should do this or not. But I found these used cts v calipers on this site for CHEAP and thought one of you guys might wanna snag them up before there gone?? CTS-V Brembo Calipers - Fully Loaded with Pads and Retainers | RallyRoad.Net $300 for everything isnt bad at all!!!:sneaky:

300.00 for brand new calipers isnt bad its not everything it says last picture with rotor and knukles not included but can be at a additional charge.. :aha:but a good deal still. KMV sorry I havent got to your part yet but had alot of expences to take care off. this friday morning money will be in your paypal. :thumb: my bad and thanks again..

Don't worry these brackets are overkill there more beefer then most aftermaket adapter out there.The bolts thats holding them are m12 much stronger then the m10 bolts on the ears that other brackets uses. look at these made out 1\4" t6 aluminum being sold. This route is only good if got the brembo for dirt cheap like i did. like i said is not the cheapest way to get brembos aleast now we know there are more options.

Good job on those brackets. My brackets are 1/2" thick not 1/4" as stated in the above post.

Hey guys, I don't know if I should do this or not. But I found these used cts v calipers on this site for CHEAP and thought one of you guys might wanna snag them up before there gone?? CTS-V Brembo Calipers - Fully Loaded with Pads and Retainers | RallyRoad.Net $300 for everything isnt bad at all!!!:sneaky:

Nice find, $300 is really good for a full loaded cts-v calipers. I think i'll buy one my self.
remember to pair them with 14" rotors or it won't be as good as evo 8 due to its smaller piston. even with 14" it won't be as torque as evo 8, could some one confirm us the torque difference.:thumb:

Great Job designing the brackets.
The M12 screws you chosen are plenty strong enough to handle the shear load.
What may happen if the M12's ever get loose is the holes in the Aluminum Bracket will begin to oval out.
Keep an eye on that.
Aluminum likes to expand a lot, so the brackets will be working those screws with every heat cycle, especially if you're like me and are addicted to road racing.

Another thing too.

I'm a designer by trade, and your design is great, but not pefect.
If I may make a suggestion, this is what I'd do.

1st, I'd look into patenting that sh!t right now, well at least you can say you looked into it instead of saying, "Man I sure wished I would've patented those brackets years ago.... I could've been rich by now.", you never know right.

2nd, I'd try and make the brackets as easy as possible to machine, water jet, cookie cut with a punch and die.
Especially if you plan on mass producing these.

What is the process used to cut these out.
They appear to be Plasma Cut or Water Jet cut.

Those do not appear to be CNC'd because there are no cutting tool radii and you have sharp corners....

Speaking of sharp corners, those blue circles in the picture that I've attached are all stress concentration areas.
I'd suggest making all of the round surfaces have tangent surfaces to one another like I show with the red lines.
If the knuckles need to be shaved a touch more I'd do it to make those tangent edges fit better instead of creating those stress risers.
These are just my suggestions and could potentially save you money so the machinist can use any means possible to cut these out.
In fact, a CNC Plasma Cutter could knock out hundreds of these from a 4' x 8' sheet of 1/2" thick aluminum.
In the second picture that shows the cross-section, it appears these have been water jet cut, or plasma cut, which is it?

Attachments

• caliper_adapter.jpg
    caliper_adapter.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 989
  • Plasma_cut.jpg
    Plasma_cut.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 974
The first one was actually cnc mill; those are rounded corner but didn't show up well in the picture. The second picture is steel with jet cut. Here more pic of the 3/8" steel one. those angles(the red line) are for clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_0855 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0855 - Copy.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,552
Last edited by a moderator:
i am painting my Brembo's today and hopefully can start taking off the old brakes today too, and then get around to putting these brackets on thursday! i cant wait!

Sending money no later then Friday for my set of brakets. Thanks KMV for such a good product.

Thanks to duwackerTSi69 i got these bad boys fully load for $300 just the brake pads and clips\pin are worth that. The best part is both caliper share the same pads.:hellyeah: why can't mitsu shit be cheap like GM. back to the drawing board to make new brackets for these with 14" nissan 370z/g37 rotors.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 787
Last edited:
how big is the difference between 1g and 2g knuckles? or is there one?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back