The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g Evo X\9\8 Brembo without JDM knuckles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you know if the rear brake rotors and calipers will bolt up to 2g like 8 and 9 do?

The rear evo X calipers would fit on 2g rears with a lot of cutting of the back plate and porting out the holes. Evo 8\9 rear rotors have to be used for this swap. Once every thing is done it actually fits better then the 8\9 rear does because it's perfectly center not off by a couple millimeters like the 8\9. I would recommend the evo 8 calipers over X; less work, fits in 17" rims and cheaper rotors. The only good thing about the X is you know it can't have too many mileages on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 4,321
Last edited by a moderator:
So is there any need to run wider wheels with this setup like most of the aftermarket kits they have available?

So is there any need to run wider wheels with this setup like most of the aftermarket kits they have available?

It's the shape of the rims and offset that is more important. EVO-8 17" rims ET-38.

wider? or taller? like 17"
i dont think the width would really matter just the right offset so the spokes would clear the calipers, and a 17 woud be the minimun heigth you would need to a evo VIII/IX calipers and 18" rims for the X brakes.

just pick up Evo VIII/IX rims and they will be sure to fit over the VIII/IX brakes LOL

Apex - I already know that 17" will fit with the evo8/9 brakes....he also said it in one of his earlier posts. I was talking wider. When using the JDM spindles, you have to run a minimum of an 8" width wheel and even then you might need to use a spacer. With the other style adapters, the offset didn't make any difference. You can run the evo 8 wheels but not everyone wants to do that. So my question does remain the same but rephrased - Is there any need to run a 17x8 or can you run just a regular 17x7.5 with the way you have set the bracket up?

An I don't like the evo wheels. They just don't do it for me.

Apex - I already know that 17" will fit with the evo8/9 brakes....he also said it in one of his earlier posts. I was talking wider. When using the JDM spindles, you have to run a minimum of an 8" width wheel and even then you might need to use a spacer. With the other style adapters, the offset didn't make any difference. You can run the evo 8 wheels but not everyone wants to do that. So my question does remain the same but rephrased - Is there any need to run a 17x8 or can you run just a regular 17x7.5 with the way you have set the bracket up?

An I don't like the evo wheels. They just don't do it for me.

I see with wider rims of the same offset and style you have more chance of clearing the calipers. so i guess its the style of the spokes that is more important. Just look for rims where the spokes connect to the very outer lip and have an et-38 or less. This set up the caliper will be in the same offset as the jdm knuckle because it is center between the evo rotors and both use the same spindle. The only way to move the caliper in is to use different rotors with deeper offset.

I really like the design of those brackets. I wonder how long it will be before a vendor starts to offer a evo brake swap package of machining, brackets, and some new SS brake lines.

And those bracket bolts are in shear. It would take a lot to break those off as long as they are tight. I wouldn't worry about those any more than the stock ones.

I really like the design of those brackets. I wonder how long it will be before a vendor starts to offer a evo brake swap package of machining, brackets, and some new SS brake lines.

And those bracket bolts are in shear. It would take a lot to break those off as long as they are tight. I wouldn't worry about those any more than the stock ones.

your right the wheels would lock up and skid so it couldn't generate enough force to brake any thing. there bigger then stock bolts too so there's nothing to worry about.

Enough peoples want them why not but I doubt it. This is might not be the cheapest Brembo set up. The price of Evo Brembo has gone up over the years thanks to the dsm and rx7 community. There's also the cts-V way too. It's a good option if you could get a set evo brembo from some one that doesn't know what there worth. I have a set of brackets left anyone want them please pm me:D.

I never liked the idea of aluminum brackets around the brakes with how hot they can get during hard driving.

I never liked the idea of aluminum brackets around the brakes with how hot they can get during hard driving.

I don't think the heat would transfer that far down to the bracket. the big aluminum calipers soaks them all and quickly dispense them and the steel bolts would insulate from them the calipers anyway. I never see my brembo get hot as my old steel calipers would maybe due to brembo excellent design of isolating heat from the pads or the aluminum dispense heat better. If I ever make them again i would make them out 3/8" steel much cheaper.

Just how hot are you getting your brakes? I'd worry about brake fluid boiling first.
A high temperature brake fluid will usually withstand about 600°F before boiling.
Aluminum doesn't melt until 1200°F.

Sure, you'll lose some of the strength of your aluminum if it's heated to 600°F, but at that point, you have other problems to worry about.

Honestly, I'm surprised no one's mass producing brackets to mount the EVO calipers on the 2G knuckle. Seems like most DSM'ers would buy em up like hotcakes. I've been out of the DSM "scene" for a little bit but when I did the conversion it was still a relatively unheard of thing. Cost wise I'm sure the price of the brackets and the work needed for the knuckle to accept the bracket is far less than the mythical Galant knuckles I had to hope and pray for LOL

Enough peoples want them why not but I doubt it. This is might not be the cheapest Brembo set up. The price of Evo Brembo has gone up over the years thanks to the dsm and rx7 community. There's also the cts-V way too. It’s a good option if you could get a set evo brembo from some one that doesn't know what there worth. I have a set of brackets left anyone want them please pm me:D.

And the S13-14 ppl.

As requested if I could get atleast 5 orders prepaid from you guys i can sell them at $100 a set plus shipping which is $15-20max.
It will be made out of 10mm (3\8) thick mild steel so you spot weld them up as i piece if you like. please pm me if your interested.
Machineing\leveling out the knuckles would you cost about $30-40 at a local machine shop. This might be cheapest 4 corner brembo swap at this price.

Last edited:
This is how you mill out the knuckles. You see the 6 yellow holes, they all level a cross. Remove that raised border circle in red, its about 1\4" high. Slap on the bracket then you're done. If you're really cheap you can grind off the border with an angle grinder. Add two flat spacers at the hub holes to offset the bracket up. Remember to add the same amount of spacer on the calipers side to even out the offset. This wouldn't be as stable but it'll still work.

Side by side comparision.

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,840
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,381
Hi i was wondering if this could be done on a 1g and is it the same way as putting the evo brakes on a 2g with a bracket or will more work have to be done?

Do you have the dimensions for the bracket? Cad drawing?

Hi i was wondering if this could be done on a 1g and is it the same way as putting the evo brakes on a 2g with a bracket or will more work have to be done?

This will not work with 1g. If your using Evo x calipers(longer mounting arm then 8\9) I know 100% it could be done with just brackets only. The way the 1g knuckles is you can fit almost any thing with just brackets. The only reason Evo 8 swap is popular with 2g is you get the bonus rear bolt on.

if I had the money right now I would so jump on this. Would you take payment? :p:

A friens of mine has a 3000 gt sl would these fit and function to use the evo brakes ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back