The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2g Evo X\9\8 Brembo without JDM knuckles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmv

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 5, 2004
I just like to share the solution for for jdm knuckles with the forums. This is how I got the evo X\8 calipers on my 2g knuckle. I was looking for jdm knuckles but there like $500. I had a few set of 2g knuckles and one evo X and 8 calipers lying around. Then I thought of this idea. First I machine flat the back part of the knuckles. Now I have workable surface to make brackets. These brackets could be made out of 3\8" steel or 1\2" T6 aluminum on a CNC machine. The bracket I made will fit the evo X\9\8 Calipers with one exception that evo X calipers must be used with the X rotors and vice-versa with evo 9\8. These pictures are evo X calipers and big 14” rotors. The evo X brakes will require 18" rims minimum, i went with evo 8 calipers to save my 17” rims\tires. Here's the tech artical on how to shave the knuckles.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...-make-brackets-evo-cts-v-brembo-calipers.html

Attachments

• IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 5,031
  • IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 4,223
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,892
Last edited:
People are asking will it clear the cv shaft. Yes it does by a few millimeters. here are some more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 4,079
  • IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 3,624
Sweet did you do the machineing your self? If so how?

I paid the guy $50cnd to level out the back half. It'll properly cost less for u guys in the US because we get rape here for every thing.

Looks good. The idea regarding the mounting bracket has of course been discussed, but not many people take that route, for a number of reasons. Let us know how it works for you.

i have been doing some thinking about these and came to the conclusion that i would never put these on my car... while i think its an awesome new idea i think there is a flaw. 6061 T6 aluminum which i am assuming is what these are made of, i dont feel that material will hold up the the stress that will applied to it. now i am no metallurgical engineering but i do have some experience with metals. if you see where the caliper bolts to the bracket to me that appears to be a serious weak point. i think if these were made out of steel i would trust them alot more and i would think they would hold up.

anyone else feel similar or hae experience with metals and want to chime in?

I've seen kits sold with aluminum brackets so they are probably strong enough. Also, it looks like it may be possible to throw in two more bolts where the original caliper ears are. Just need to drill and tap the bracket. As long as the caliper mounts don't overlap.

i have been doing some thinking about these and came to the conclusion that i would never put these on my car... while i think its an awesome new idea i think there is a flaw. 6061 T6 aluminum which i am assuming is what these are made of, i dont feel that material will hold up the the stress that will applied to it. now i am no metallurgical engineering but i do have some experience with metals. if you see where the caliper bolts to the bracket to me that appears to be a serious weak point. i think if these were made out of steel i would trust them alot more and i would think they would hold up.

anyone else feel similar or hae experience with metals and want to chime in?

Don't worry these brackets are overkill there more beefer then most aftermaket adapter out there.The bolts thats holding them are m12 much stronger then the m10 bolts on the ears that other brackets uses. look at these made out 1\4" t6 aluminum being sold. This route is only good if got the brembo for dirt cheap like i did. like i said is not the cheapest way to get brembos aleast now we know there are more options.

Attachments

• 3kgtvr4%20calipers.jpg
    3kgtvr4%20calipers.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 5,796
for safety why not put bolts in threw the original caliper mounts on the knuckle also in addition to the hub bolts? If this is done it would also be a good idea to put more material where the arch of the caliper is.

are the evo X calipers the ones with the 38/42 mm pistons?

It does look stronger than the aftermarket parts I have seen as well. Steel would be nice, a little heavy, but nice and if your really worried you could spot weld the bracket in place as well.

It does look stronger than the aftermarket parts I have seen as well. Steel would be nice, a little heavy, but nice and if your really worried you could spot weld the bracket in place as well.

1\4" steel would have been as strong as 1\2" T6 aluminum and cheaper too. You can weld them up to be one piece but people like bolt on. This design is good the way it is. Sure you can add more bolts to feel safer but comparing to most brackets out there this should be over kill. about the x calipers i'm not sure what piston size are they but the are a bit bigger and longer then the 8\9 and the pads are biger too.

nice, how much did it cost to get the plate CNC cut? like total price with out the calipers and rotors?

I think what they did was shrink the piston size on the x calipers a bit and increase the rotor diameter for about the same braking torque. I doubt they used the same 40/46mm diam pistons on the x because with a 14" rotor the braking torque is nearly 62 k inch-pounds which is ridiculously high and would snap thoughs little 10 or 12mm bolts on the hub in a hurry under hard braking.

I don't want to tell you what to do with you project but I would regard the extra bolts as a necessity.

I bet the braking torque is close to the 8/9 , can you find out the piston diamters?

I think what they did was shrink the piston size on the x calipers a bit and increase the rotor diameter for about the same braking torque. I doubt they used the same 40/46mm diam pistons on the x because with a 14" rotor the braking torque is nearly 62 k inch-pounds which is ridiculously high and would snap thoughs little 10 or 12mm bolts on the hub in a hurry under hard braking.

I don't want to tell you what to do with you project but I would regard the extra bolts as a necessity.

I bet the braking torque is close to the 8/9 , can you find out the piston diamters?

your right, i measured the X cailpers they look like 36 40mm. so what's the point of bigger rotors smaller piston and how about those 6 piston brembo gt upgrade kit that uses 10mm bolt on there adpater too.

are you serious? LOL so they are essentially cts-v calipers with a wider mounting distance and different casting.

if your right then mitsu essentially decreased the braking torque for the x. I'm not sure on the argument for smaller diam pistons with a larger rotor, it probably has to do with response time.

are you serious? LOL so they are essentially cts-v calipers with a wider mounting distance and different casting.

actually there 43-44 mm and 36mm i measured it wrong. I also found out that 6061 t6 aluminum(35k psi) is almost strong as mild steel(40k psi) and 1\3 the weight.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back