The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Road Race Build 2G Auto Time Attack race build!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just a few more pictures from over the last few weeks that i have been slowly getting done after work! long and not enough time but slowly and surely i am getting through the list

IMAG1798.jpg
IMAG1799.jpg
IMAG1811.jpg
IMAG1803.jpg
12166554_10153766050876337_1401872079_n.jpg
12167625_10153766050881337_1826309859_n.jpg

Its sunday and i have some free time so thought i would get some things done.

The fans are now both in and look amazing and free's up some room over on the passenger side but i did have to trim some of the frame off i didnt expect but no big deal was easy enough to do.

I also got 1 of my 16g's rebuilt and its ready to go off to get its KTS billet wheel installed then VSR balanced. This turbo is going to be THE TURBO and the components are all upgraded, Thrust plate, lower thrust collar and the thrust seal collar for the oil deflector, and of course KTS 6 blade extended tip billet wheel and to make it all work as best as it can It also has a 9 blade turbine wheel!

The 10AN return adaptor was all flat and it made the return in the turbo smaller and they are all like this from what I have seen online so i took a countersink tool out and well gave it a countersinking slope to make it a bit nicer and should aid in keeping it moving freely dont know if it will work the same or better but it looks better so now it matches the gasket perfectly so they should be no restriction on the way out.

The other 16g is going to be OEM spec'd and its going to be a backup with no upgraded items, but all will be new from turbine shaft to comp wheel and everything inbetween.

Thats about it for today! Next i hope to get some of the fueling items installed and plumbed in.

Another thing added to the list is to now rewire the front and rear of the car because when it was imported from Texas they made a mess of it all and well its all gone hard from bad wire so i need to spend a few days doing it all again and making it correct and neat with proper connections and oem connecters! Fun fun FUN!!!

IMAG0105.jpg
IMAG0110.jpg
IMAG0111.jpg
IMAG0112.jpg

What fans are you running?
Just the stock thinner fan, I got another one as they get their own cooling plates and cover the sides nicely on the radiator so i stripped them down and had them dipped and then clear zinc coated to keep them protected and it wont flake like the powder coating will.

Last edited:
Frontline Fabrication (Andrew Kisner) sells them, and he just got a batch in a little while ago I think so you can probably snag one from him.

Little parts update!

Got a few more items in today, my tr8 treadstone intercooler is here my rci filter and afpr reg arrived and my mounts also turned up, i sent the front back as i eneded up buying one from truestreet and their chromoly cross bar which has a built in mount so no need for a billet one with this route, also my oem sized compressor wheel turned up from tradersgreg for the oem built 16g so now both can be shipped off for vsr balancing.

Not related to the built persay but i managed to find a drivers side lower window mould as they are discontinued now so i was luckly to find one! but they still make the passengers side which is weird so JNZ sorted me out getting both to me, JNZ has helped me out alot over the last few years so thanks guys

My rci rail i have had a while now and i got new fittings for it as i wanted all new fittings and o rings but they dont seem to seal correctly as they seem small so im awaiting a reply on this.

Im getting pretty close to having everything i need for the complete install of it all now so im excited to get cracking.

IMAG0158.jpg
IMAG0159.jpg
IMAG0142.jpg

Its christmas day and im working on the car!!! Yay, i decided to install my aerocatch hood latches had these sitting in the garage for a few months so got bored as i do every christmas so went and worked on thr car! They came out pretty good and i used the oem rad bracket hole, i just drilled and tapped it to accept the bigger size m10 stud for the pin.

Just another small step in the direction and got next week off so a few more days to go and get some items made for the car i gotta make.
IMAG0282.jpg
IMAG0272.jpg
IMAG0271.jpg
IMAG0280.jpg
IMAG0285.jpg
IMAG0283_1.jpg
IMAG0281_1.jpg

Also these arrived from Paul and i got to open them today so it was a nice christmas present to open up, these wont go on till i get the front end apart for the suspension and brembo install.

IMAG0279_1.jpg

Got my FMIC mocked up and bolted into the place where it will stay. Never got a chance to trim the bumper but the FMIC is not staying on till its all ready to actually stay on so it was only to center it and make brackets to hold it to the crash bar,
I did consider making a aluminum crash bar or similer but i just didnt have time today so maybe another day but i would like to frame the complete front end out anyway but i might save this project till I (1) got time and (2) got my other projects out the way first!
IMAG0295.jpg

Its a Treadstone TR8 and i chose this because it sits nicely inside the opening in the bumper and when the bumper is fitted i measured it will not leave alot of core covered up so most of it will be exposed to air! Which is good and this is rated to 550hp or slightly more and thats pretty much around my total goals (ish) anyway so its all good.

Also managed to get my rear and timing mounts in from torque solution! These are just as bad as the avids!!! The bushes are way to long and over sized on the hole so i had to make new sleeves for them so they fit nicely but other then that they went in reasonable well, the timing side was over tight and would not straighten up alot so it took me 1 hour to do that 1 bolt alone! PITA these were. But all done and added my avid auto trans mount too so its all solid now and just awaiting my Chromoly front cross member from josh at truestreet which he said the other day is ready to go out since i had some bits braced.

Vibrates alot now but i knew it would.

This is all i got today and this is the last day working on the car till the new year,

Just going to order some parts up i need as i still have a fair few items to buy.

Last edited:
Over the weekend i managed to put some time aside to do my brakes and brembo swap! At the same time i installed Pauls LCA's since i split a boot getting the old one off so now was as good a time as any!

Took longer the i thought it would due to me getting all evo parts and it did not work out as well as it was mentioned but my data i read was years old and i am out of date on reading up on this setup so its my bad. I had the evo 8 booster and MC but both did not fit so i had to modify both, the booster was easy to fix tap a small flat underneath it and thats all, the MC i had to dink the inner strut area and turn the res around! this will be fixed by summer as i will replace it with a ee oem 3G unit like has been proven to work! But for now it all works and it stops! HARD!

The install was fine and arms went on a breeze and the test drive was amazing, so another step forward!

Coilovers are this weekend and its booked for tracking the following weekend so then i can actually drive it safely and test them out better

IMAG0529_1.jpg
IMAG0528_1.jpg
IMAG0527_1.jpg
IMAG0519_1.jpg
IMAG0516_1.jpg

Keep up the good work. Everything looks great!

I've thought about starting a journal, especially since autocross season started last week, but god, I feel like it takes so much time to take the pictures and type the article. LOL

Keep up the good work. Everything looks great!

I've thought about starting a journal, especially since autocross season started last week, but god, I feel like it takes so much time to take the pictures and type the article. LOL
You should do, it does take a little more then being hidden but it also helps keep you going as you can look back and see the progress online plus we all love a build thread to view and the more the better!

DO IT!!!! HAHA

Got around to putting my BC coilovers on today! Also managed to set them up to how i worked it out it would be best for now, i may adjust them slightly and raise them up 1/2" as the arms are level but i would orefer then slightly pointing down on the outer side but i will run them like this for now and see how it gets on.

I set them up with a rake of 1/2" difference, so front was set at 4 1/2" and the rear was 5" this is from the seal to get the most accurate setup!

I test drove it but its tracking is out so thats booked for next weekend, as i changed alomost all the arms and joints to renew the suspension

They feel pretty good but i was not going to tell much at the moment as its a slow drive!

Also installed a chromoly cross member with solid rollstop, was ok but i originally asked for more bracing from the mounting points and i was right, when i bolted it all up it all moved and well i was not happy with it, i will take it off over winter and so it myself as the guy who built it clearly cannot do it right and what i asked for! I need to buy new hardware aswell as no new hardware was sent and the oem bolts are not good for this so i will order them up this week

IMAG0575.jpg
IMAG0567.jpg
IMAG0565.jpg
IMAG0573_1.jpg
IMAG0574_1.jpg
IMAG0572_1.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good!

Don't forget to tighten the ball joints, as per Paul's notice indicates. Mine were able to be tightened even after the first 15 minute ride and then again a couple hundred miles later.

Last edited:
Looking good!

Don't forget to tighten the ball joints, as per Paul's notice indicates. Mine were able to be tightened even after the first 15 minute ride and then again a couple hundred miles later.
I ran them tighter then he sent them out for a small breakin. I actually went looser now as my steering was way hard to control as the joint was not free to move around, im not on the bottom limit for being too loose but i have more freeness now with is really nicer to have and the steering somewhat is better to use now as it is looser. I did regrease them as i decided to run different grease then he sent them with. They seem fine so far but time will tell and i will have more info from them once the tracking is done and i can actually steer straight haha

I ran them tighter then he sent them out for a small breakin. I actually went looser now as my steering was way hard to control as the joint was not free to move around, im not on the bottom limit for being too loose but i have more freeness now with is really nicer to have and the steering somewhat is better to use now as it is looser. I did regrease them as i decided to run different grease then he sent them with. They seem fine so far but time will tell and i will have more info from them once the tracking is done and i can actually steer straight haha

Good point. I don't mind mine a little tighter for more control during autocross. But my steering doesnt return to center at all! Haha

Also, I threaded my inner heim out a quarter inch and gained -0.6 degrees of camber. I verified with Paul on the strength of the arms and he said I was good to go.

Good point. I don't mind mine a little tighter for more control during autocross. But my steering doesnt return to center at all! Haha

Also, I threaded my inner heim out a quarter inch and gained -0.6 degrees of camber. I verified with Paul on the strength of the arms and he said I was good to go.
Yeah i agree on the centering LOL with it being looser its definitly better but still no centering but i could go looser still but i am still learning how to use them for best results,

When you went out 1/4" did that create any bad effects on caster from the compression arm? I know it will create toe and thats counteracted by the steering tie rod end adjustment.

Im having my tracking done on satso ive booked a bigger slot to have a play with it and i would like more camber up front of course without causing too much of an issue with everything else

When you went out 1/4" did that create any bad effects on caster from the compression arm? I know it will create toe and thats counteracted by the steering tie rod end adjustment.

It did toe out pretty bad, but nothing the alignment didn't fix. Good catch on the caster, I lost the same amount in caster. No binding or anything of that nature. I autocrossed this passed Sunday and no ill effects that I could feel or broken parts. Car drove pretty good actually.

I plan on slotting my upper control arms for even more camber. If I can get enough by just doing that, I will thread heim back in to gain some caster back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back