1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you notice anything broken, post a thread in the Site Feedback forum please.

2g eclipse engine swap

Posted by andy692c, Jan 20, 2012
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. andy692c

andy692c Probationary Member

STT, Puerto_Rico
    I recently bought a 2g eclipse gst and the engine went bad so I'm in the process of purchasing another engine. I would like to get a better engine rather than getting an exact replacement. Will the engine from a 97 evolution fit and if it does what will I need to complete This swap? Also if it doesn't what engine should I get?

2. Maverick4g63

Maverick4g63 Proven Member

Laurel, Mississippi
    Have you identified what caused the current motor to fail? This knowledge will help preserve the next motor. The 97 evo used the same shortblock as it is also a 4g63, but it was oriented 180° from our 2g powerplant's position. Therefore the exhaust, intake, motor, and tranny mounts will not simply bolt up. I suggest doing your homework on a 6 bolt swap and what that entails. I assure you that there is a plethora of information on these forums about this very procedure. Depending on just how damaged your motor is, you may be able to budget build and replace only what is needed. There are many options to consider. Take a little advice from someone who has learned the hard way: RESEARCH, take your time, and weigh all of your options carefully. Haste will bring pain and suffering.

3. nuclearr

nuclearr Proven Member

Slidell, Louisiana
    Are you trying to find an engine in P.R?

Look for:

90-92 Eclipse/Talon/Laser 6 bolt takes some things to get it two work. Least Likely to crank walk
    92.5-94 Eclipse/Talon/Laser 7 bolt Same as 6-bolt swap except uses your stock flywheel or flexplate.
    95-97 Eclipse/Talon 7bolt same as in your car.
    98-99Eclipse/Talon 7bolt revised trust bearings least likely to crank walk of the 7 bolts

EVO 1,2,3 EVO3 is the best. Of the EVO group.

91-92 Galant VR4 Same as Eclipse/Talon/Laser 6bolt EDIT:87-92 6bolt, 92-97s assume 7 bolt, will also work if they were made available in P.R.

None of these are significanly better than your engine. Alltough the 6-bolt is recomended by most people because it tends to crank walk the least.

You may want to find a block and build one.