The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2g eclipse engine swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy692c

Probationary Member
Jan 20, 2012
STT, Puerto_Rico
I recently bought a 2g eclipse gst and the engine went bad so I'm in the process of purchasing another engine. I would like to get a better engine rather than getting an exact replacement. Will the engine from a 97 evolution fit and if it does what will I need to complete This swap? Also if it doesn't what engine should I get?

Have you identified what caused the current motor to fail? This knowledge will help preserve the next motor. The 97 evo used the same shortblock as it is also a 4g63, but it was oriented 180° from our 2g powerplant's position. Therefore the exhaust, intake, motor, and tranny mounts will not simply bolt up. I suggest doing your homework on a 6 bolt swap and what that entails. I assure you that there is a plethora of information on these forums about this very procedure. Depending on just how damaged your motor is, you may be able to budget build and replace only what is needed. There are many options to consider. Take a little advice from someone who has learned the hard way: RESEARCH, take your time, and weigh all of your options carefully. Haste will bring pain and suffering.

Are you trying to find an engine in P.R?

Look for:

90-92 Eclipse/Talon/Laser 6 bolt takes some things to get it two work. Least Likely to crank walk
92.5-94 Eclipse/Talon/Laser 7 bolt Same as 6-bolt swap except uses your stock flywheel or flexplate.
95-97 Eclipse/Talon 7bolt same as in your car.
98-99Eclipse/Talon 7bolt revised trust bearings least likely to crank walk of the 7 bolts

EVO 1,2,3 EVO3 is the best. Of the EVO group.

91-92 Galant VR4 Same as Eclipse/Talon/Laser 6bolt EDIT:87-92 6bolt, 92-97s assume 7 bolt, will also work if they were made available in P.R.

None of these are significanly better than your engine. Alltough the 6-bolt is recomended by most people because it tends to crank walk the least.

You may want to find a block and build one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back