The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2g easy brake upgrade using cobalt ss turbo brembo monoblock calipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperX2013

Proven Member
May 5, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
So yeah guys thought I would share this with you. Cobalt ss turbo brembo monoblock calipers 30 minute upgrade. All you need is the calipers bolts and a die grinder with a small diameter metal bit. These calipers almost bolt directly on the 2g front spindles . You need to awl out one of the factory spindle holes for the factory 2g caliper bracket about an 1/8 of an inch and then they bolt right on. You can use factory rotors like I have pictured as of right now, but you have room for evo 8 / 9 rotors which I will be doing as soon as they arrive. I figured out all of this by mistake and am very pleased with the upgrade. It literally took me 45 minutes for both sides

the 94+ 3000gt vr4 rotors are 314mm

Those would probably fit perfect, but again that's assuming that the hub center spacing and caliper location are the same as the DSM.

I have to agree with dot45, this is a pretty permanent mod if you have to slot the mounting ears on the hub to run these calipers, which I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable doing..

Yes o elongated one of the holes on my spindle . And it's perfectly safe. The other hole remains the same and there is no play up and down or side to side because the hole that is elongated is to narrow the space between the bolts, it cannot and will not move and then tightened down securely. Ad far as rotors I'll just stick with my original plan and use the drilled and slotted evo 8 rotors and then have them machined down to the diameter I need . I already talked to my guy and he quoted me 20 bucks a rotor to machine them to fit

These look smaller than the evo brembos. I believe they are 38mm four piston calipers. (quick google search) I don't know how much it would make the evo calipers better? OP could you post up better pictures of your setup? Like the back side mounting and non fuzzy pictures? Thanks man!

Dsmspick idk the exact details of these calipers I just know it's an upgrade to my stock gsx breaks and it didn't cost me hardly anything. I can get some more detailed pictures tomorrow.

Update guys . I've done some more research and figured I would try the 05 06 mitsubushi outlander front rotors . I went and got one from the parts store and test fitted it on the car and come to find out they fit perfectly. They allow full contact between the pads and rotor and clear the caliper. These are 296 mm or 11.7 inch rotors. So that concludes this upgrade. I will let you know how well these upgrades perform here in a month or so when my build is finished.

Damn, i couldve done this instead of the outlander upgrade i did last year. Still, either way for me was a massive upgrade. Nice find and thanks for the info.

Synthetec yes should fit evo 8 wheels the spokes don't curve back towards the center of the wheel. Also I will have to get pictures up tomarrow.

Well I have been doing some researcher on what rotors to use. All from rockauto.
Stock cobalt 315.5mm diameter
Evo 8/9 are 320mm dia.
hub 69mm/ height 43.5mm ( im assuming this is the measurement how much the hub part of the rotor sticks out.)
3000gt 314mm dia
hub 69mm/height 45mm
05 outlander 294mm dia
hub 69mm/height 45.5mm
2010 outlander 294mm dia
hub 69mm/ height 45.7mm
2g is 276mm dia
hub 69mm/height 45.9

It seems the best option would be the 2010 outlander rotors as its .2mm off from the stock 2g. But this is just my theory in what the height measurement means, I could be way off.

Just as an FYI, a year or two ago I was trying to do the ctsv brake upgrade and spent hours upon hours researching brake rotors. I uploaded the info into an excel file for comparrison reasons. However I never came up with a viable option other than the 14" 370z rotor and this is why.

When bolting on a brake caliper you have to measure the needed rotors offset, diameter and pad contact range. The offset is the distance from the inside of the hat to the surface of the rotor. Get this wrong and you will drag pads. Rotor thickness is another one to look out for. These measurements on top of the bolt pattern make finding oem rotors that are perfect for nearly any bargain basement big brake kit almost impossible. DBA has a boat load of stock rotor sizing and at the time was very easy to surf through so I would check out their site.

I will say that I came to the conclusion that a two piece rotor with custom machined hats would be the best approach for the brake setup I was researching at the time. Two piece rotors run around 300 each not including the custom machine work needed. I eventually found it more cost effective to get the galant knuckles and evo 9 brakes. Cost me about 1500 after powder coat but I have a complete set of brakes that I know work well together with no fitment or operational issues.

Good luck in your search

Flyineagletsi thanks for your support. I believe I have found the setup that will work effectively with no issues. I have noticed that on the current setup that the rotor is offset to the caliper centerline by maybe an 1/8 of an inch. This is the last issue I'm running into for perfecting this setup. I have come to a conclusion that an 1/8 inch wheel spacer/shim placed between the hub and the inside rotor mating surface will dial this in. I plan on sourcing a set of these spacers and giving it a shot . I just ordered drilled and slotted outlander rotors and will post pictures up once the parts arrive.

What kind of IM do you have? Looks like a huge plenum. It kind of reminds me of the ebay IM's people were talking about.

Boost97gst. Lol that is a jmf drag version 1g definitely not some ebay pos. My build is capable of over 800 whp. No knock off ebay junk here

Update guys . I've done some more research and figured I would try the 05 06 mitsubushi outlander front rotors . I went and got one from the parts store and test fitted it on the car and come to find out they fit perfectly. They allow full contact between the pads and rotor and clear the caliper. These are 296 mm or 11.7 inch rotors.

So is that the rotor in the pictures?

Only disadvantage is the 11.65" rotor will be smaller than the Evo 8 rear Brembo setup (11.9"), not sure how that would be for balance.

The one advantage I see is not needing an adapter to make work. But it just limits you to a small(er) rotor.

Awesome find though! Will be a nice budget upgrade when they drop a little more in price.

After more reseacher, the 2010 outlander rotor is not the best choice as its 26mm thick and stock cobalt is 25.7. Only .3mm thicker but im sure with new pads it will be a tight fit or not even fit.
The part im confused on is the hieght measurement of the rotors. 2g are 45.9mm while the 05 outlander is 45.5. So does that mean the outlander rotor will stick out more?

Let us know how the 05 outlander rotors work out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back