The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G dsm 95 eclipse Street build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xandrew245x

Proven Member
Jul 18, 2015
Gardners, Pennsylvania
First off I would like to introduce myself, my name is Andrew, and this is my first DSM project, as well as my first real in depth project in general. I bought the Car early last year, the car needs some TLC to get it where I want it to be. The car already has some upgrades.

Front mount intercooler
Aluminum Radiator
Atmospheric BOV
A/C delete
Battery Relocation
Air filter
Balance shaft Delete
Aftermarket gauge cluster
Direct wired fan for turbo

My goal is 300-350Hp.

Plans are:
ARP head studs
All new gaskets and seals
Composite head gasket
Timing components and water pump
Gerret T28 turbo
Walbro 190 fuel pump
ACT streetlight flywheel
ACT 6 puck clutch
Manual boost controller
Recirculating BOV

I would like to also repaint the engine bay and car.

Possible plans:
Thinking about rebuilding the head while its out of the car:
Valve back cut
New springs
New lifters

Possibly doing a wire tuck as well.

Thats all I can think of for now, I will update with pictures later.

car.jpg

Engine before.
IMG_20151203_215253.jpg
IMG_20160111_193800 (1).jpg
IMG_20160111_193826.jpg

I contacted a performance shop and he wants $250-300 just to do a valve job, seems pretty pricey to me. For a whole head rebuild that puts me around 600-700 dollar mark. Is having a valve job done really all that much beneficial, from my reading, it seems to really have mixed reviews.

Two more photos before I bought the car.

Attachments

• IMG_57091.jpg
    IMG_57091.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_02981.jpg
    IMG_02981.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 82
Was able to get some work done today. ARP head studs, Gates water pump, fel pro composite head gasket. Cleaned up the crank sprocket and front case.
20160414_193523(0).jpg

Two pictures of the engine before it started its make over.
20160409_133116.jpg
20160407_184951.jpg

Yesterday was a busy day, I started work on the head. This will be getting new Stainless steel valves from ebay (engnblder), supertech single valve springs and retainers, and 3g revised lifters.

Cam towers and cams removed.

IMG_20160415_175238.jpg

IMG_20160415_175247.jpg

removed the lifters and worked on removing the keepers, springs and retainers. I used a home made tool of a 8" C clamp and a 5/8 deep socket with a window cut in it.
IMG_20160416_113437.jpg

Removed the valves then pulled the old stem seals off.
IMG_20160416_120402.jpg

End Result, intake valves out, rinse and repeat for the exhaust side.
IMG_20160416_115246.jpg

Ready for oil port mod #1 and a good cleaning. End plans are for crower 264/264 cams and fidanza adjustable cam gears to complete the head rebuild.

I have alot of work to do on the engine bay to get it ready for a new coat of paint. Lots of lots of parts to remove. Then I have to scrape the old rattle can paint that they previous owner did.

More to come!

So I have come to the dilemma of needing to move the car around my garage in order to prep it for paint and such. I had an idea and wanted some feed back. The engine, transmission are out of the car. What i was thinking of doing was getting 4 furniture dolleys(rated for 1k a piece) Jack the car up, cut a couple 2x10s to length, screw the 2x10s together to make a 4x10 piece, Put one just behind the steering rack in the front supported by a dolly on each side, and then put one in the rear roughly under the rear seats in the back again supported by a furniture dolly on each side. To be safe I was thinking on fastening the 4x10 to the dolly. Thoughts on this idea?

Well I have made some progress since my last update. I rebuilt my head with supertech single springs and titanium retainers, revised lifters, a set of stainless steel valves, new valve stem seals, and crower 264/264 cams. I was installing the Cam caps and I stripped out one of the bolt holes, so I ordered a time-sert set to repair the bolt hole. I also bought a pair of fadanza adjustable cam gears. The head is mounted on the block with a new felpro composite head gasket and arp studs. I also ordered myself a inch pound torque wrench so I can get the lower value bolts to the right specs.

Once the bolt hole is fixed i'm going to get everything torqued down to spec and how well my cams move in the journals. If everything is good I'll install the rockers, cams and torque everything down to spec and move on to the timing belt.

I also got my car body up on some wheels so I can move it around the garage. I used 4 1,000# dolleys, 4x4s and some 2x4s to secure it on the dolleys, rolls around like a charm now.

I'm going to start working on getting the engine bay cleaned out so I can start prepping for paint, Need to fix some rust spots as well. I'll supply some pictures later.

Wow, i've been so busy with work and haven't even had time to think of working on this. Things are finally starting to slow down at work, so I have some more time at home now. I was wondering, should I go ahead and replace the oil pump while I have the engine out, the car has about 120k miles on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back