The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Craigslist Hero

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Over the past few weeks I have been looking for a car to have just for fun. I had been looking for basically Hondas, Acuras, Toyotas, and the occasional dodge, but I just couldn't find anything that was really worth my time or money. Until this Talon showed up, I knew a guy that had one and he looked back on it fondly. So I thought what the hell, let's do it.

The ad said, 80k miles, no check engine light, mostly stock and that the A/C worked. I have an Audi S4 in which the air conditioning does not work, so for the price of having that fixed, more than justified this purchase... unless you ask my girl friend.

I loaded up the car hauler and set out to get this car. I got there and was surprised the car was being offered by a Mitsu/Talon enthusiast. He told me everything he knew about the car and set me on my way.

This little guy doesn't need a whole lot but I would like to set this thing back to as close to daily driver condition as possible to include (not in any order):

1) The straight pipe 3 inch exhaust is kind of much - when I test drove this car I asked myself "who would drive this thing" and bought it anyway.
2) It's low.. it has two inch lowering springs which makes for a rough ride, the purpose was definitely for looks over function (to each his own).
3) 2G Window rattle
4) Failing head liner (Done)
5) The clear coat on this car has seen way better days
6) Sway bar bushings
6) It develops a "wobble" after about 80mph. I did notice that the outer tie rods had been recently replaced as well as the ball joints on the control arms, so maybe it's the wheels, inner tie rods or alignment?.. idk yet, to be determined.

I did go though the stereo wiring this weekend, unfortunately whoever wired the old radio cut out the original harness, so tracking down the wires was kind of a pain. I never did find a constant 12v, but I ran out of daylight so I just called it good. The stereo doesn't recall presets but that seems to be as bad as that gets.

I do have a spare rear spoiler for this car so I am going to practice painting that this weekend as well as trying to the window rattle. I have to admit I hate photobucket since it seems a lot of the relevant information and pictures I'm looking for, require the original poster to upgrade their account which is lame.

I do like how this car is right at home out cruising any country road and shifting through the gears is a real treat, this Eagle still flies.

Attachments

• Talon 1.JPG
    Talon 1.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
So a few updates even if I'm just thinking out loud here.

I decided I'm going to ignore the exhaust pipe, even though it's extremely hard to do so, but I figure it's not hurting anything and maybe is doing some good.

I got the headliner done which was fun. I used the 3M headliner glue, TBD how it turns out, but the glue cost more than the fabric so the worst case is I eventually do it again. It looks nice though and greatly improves comfort in the vehicle by not having a headliner touching you at all times.

I was going through the vacuums and noticed that the waste gate solenoid was connected to the compressor outlet meaning the car was only boosting at 8psi (GASP).. So I returned the vacuum lines to the factory waste gate solenoid and pulled out the restrictor, now the turbo is spoolin away!

I've found that beer is much more refreshing after you finish anything on these cars.

Glad you're loving the dsm man! They are such amazing cars if you treat her right. Idk suggest putting another resonator into your exhaust maybe choose another muffler. my srs is deep but loud and annoying on long rides, however the vibrant on my tsi is so much easier to deal with. Rattles and odd noises are part of loving a dsm.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back