The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g Counter weight removal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gTurBoD

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
orange park, Florida
Ok I cut part of the 2g counter weight off when I did my 6 bolt swap. My question is, how much can I remove? I cut off the weight itself, but the arm is still there, and It has pierced my radiator hose, also it is still hitting the radiator making getting into certain gears a little difficult.

This isnt my actually picture but It will give you an idea.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mines basically cut off in the same area. How much can I remove of the part with the actually pin in it?

No you can't just remove the whole ARM but you should be able to get it very close to the end there and make sure you sand it smooth so that doesn't happen Agian. Why did you need to cut it in the first place?

6 bolt swap it got in the way. And you said I should be able to cut it pretty close. Are you referring to the piece with the pin in it?

I spent a few weeks driving without cutting it off on my 6 bolt swap and it was just a pain trying to get it into gear, and keep it from popping out.

I cut mine a little further out than in the picture posted, and am going to use a angle grinder to get it smooth. With as close as it is cut in that picture, by the time it is smoothed out it looks like it would be getting close to having too much material removed.

I certainly hope that there are no issues with rubbing on the radiator hose though, even with my counter weight arm probably half an inch or so sticking out, it is still a good inch and a half from the hose when in the gear that puts it closest to the radiator hose. (cant think of it off the top of my head)

Have you looked into the possibility of adjusting your lower hose? If you turn it where it connects to the water pipe, the angle the hose connects to the radiator can be changed. Might wanna look at it, it certainly helped in my experience.

I cut the pin part right between the arm part and the piece that connects to the shifter cable and seems to work fine for me. I know a couple other 6 bolt swap cars which have done the same. If you cut the arm off but leave the part connected to the pin, it does nothing since it has no counter weight on it.

Can you explain were this piece, is? Because I was down there and saw nothing like this. Also do you know what size the bolt is that holds the bracket to the transmission. Im missing one of the two bolts.

I took an angle grinder, to the counter weight piece, and just rounded it off, so it rotates freely and no sharp edges, pretty pleased.

I think I know what piece this is, and if its the same, the one on mine doesnt look like this. It is just one side, and I can basically pull it out. Ill get a picture of it, but I took your photo and the piece im talking about is connected to this arm, which I think is what you are referring to.

I outlined the arm in green, which the piece im referring to is connected to.

The select lever shoe is a white nylon square looking piece that slides onto the select lever pin and rides in the ring of the control shaft so it push the shaft up/down yet also let it rotate. Unbolt the select lever and it will come out with it.

Is this fitment issue only with full 6 bolt swaps? I had a 6 bolt block with 7 bolt head in my last eclipse. I just bought a 6 bolt long block for my spyder. I never had to cut the counterweight last time. Will I need to this time?

So what is the benefit of cutting off the counterweight on 2g transmission on a7 bolt motor, if any?Some one was explaining it causes a the car not to pop out of gear when shifting the transmission trying to understand the logic and if its a reasonable mod

No you can't just remove the whole ARM but you should be able to get it very close to the end there and make sure you sand it smooth so that doesn't happen Agian.

Cant remove the whole are eh? How did Tim remove mine when he built my trans?

The whole arm can be removed. 2g awd trans, he removed it since it really isnt necessary to have anyways.

Cant remove the whole are eh? How did Tim remove mine when he built my trans?

The whole arm can be removed. 2g awd trans, he removed it since it really isnt necessary to have anyways.

I wish there was a little how-to (even as simple as it would be) to this. Mainly, I'm wondering what steps you have to take to remove it like crash89's is from TMZ. I see that there is that 'bolt' or pin that goes through the counterweight part of the arm at the top, but that makes me think I could just remove the CW piece from the whole arm and not have to cut anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back