1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G compression test

Posted by Blackdemongsx38, May 17, 2018

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Blackdemongsx38

Blackdemongsx38 Probationary Member

Joined May 15, 2018
    IRVING, Texas
    So I recently got my 97 GSX up and running after sitting for almost 4 years. Engine is a rebuilt 7bolt with stock internals with about 40k miles on it. Got BPUz, FMIC, 550cc and walbro 255 with Frank 3 turbo. Engine cranked right up after i changed the oil, bpr7es, and battery and sounds great no smoke or misfire. Well i decided to do a compression today and i got 140 compression on cyl 4 2 1 and 150 on cyl 3. Did the test twice and same results. What are yalls opinions, is the engine almost done or do yall recomend i do a leak down test. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

2. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Is it a 2g or 1g 7 bolt? Either way do you know what pistons are in it?

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  3. Blackdemongsx38

Joined May 15, 2018
    IRVING, Texas
    Its a 2G 7bolt rebuilt with the 2g stock pistons.

4. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Was the engine warm? If not redo the test.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  5. Blackdemongsx38

Joined May 15, 2018
    IRVING, Texas
    I let it idle for about 15 mins and let it cool down for about 15mins after, keep in mind i dont drive it right now since i dont insurance on it yet. Also i pulled the "engine" fuse out to do the test. Do you suggest i drive it for a good 30 minutes to warm it up good?

6. Bo0sTeD 4G63

Bo0sTeD 4G63 Proven Member

Joined Aug 31, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    The car needs to be warmed up to get accurate readings on the compression test. Do it with the car completely warmed up to normal operating temperature then post your results.

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

automatic
  7. Blackdemongsx38

Joined May 15, 2018
    IRVING, Texas
    Will do. Thank you