The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

304hitman

Probationary Member
Jan 3, 2018
Kearneysville, West_Virginia
so I’m buying a 2g gs from a guy in my area. I’ve been in love with these cars since I was a kid because of the build my dad had. It’s 200 dollars. Reverse gear is out so I’m either gonna do a trans rebuild or drop a manual in it since it’s an automatic. 190,000 miles. Guy said he bout it off a used lot for 2300, drive it for a year before it shut off at a stoplight and wouldn’t start. I assume it’s been sitting since. He said it starts when he’s spraying starting fluid but won’t run when he stops. I imagine it’s a fuel/fuel pump/ problem but I’m new to this and it’s my first project. Any tips, info, ideas y’all can give me would be greatly appreciated

I would start with a running car personally. The Turbo models are a lot of fun but finding one that isn’t chopped and run down can be a challenge. Check the classifieds on here before you jump the gun! I have learned getting a car from someone that doesn’t start or has been sitting is a headache.

Appreciate the advice! I think I’m still gonna go check it out just because it’s so damn cheap. Plus, I’ve been looking for a real project car to start on and learn about motors and cars in general, and thought this may be a good start. I guess we’ll see how it goes!

That model will have the Chrysler engine and transmission in it, the good side is that they are plentiful, they used them in all of the cloud cars. The cam sensor goes in them, but if it starts with ether then its not the cam sensor. Timing belt could have failed but again it wouldnt start on ether, he might be fibbing as far as the part about it starting on ether just to get a buyer to believe its something easy and cheap to fix such as a fuel pump, be prepared for anything unless he can prove that it will start that way.

Yeah I planned on having him start it with the ether before I buy, I’ll also have a very trusted family friend/mechanic with me so I’ll see what he says as far as that. I’m confident and hopeful it’s a fuel pump, but also readit could be injectors, fuel rail etc.

Its not going to be injectors or fuel rail, that I can pretty much guarantee you, those arent high wear items.

So if he’s not lying it’s probably fuel pump, correct? If so, that makes me feel better. I’ve found decent ones priced pretty well. Also, it’s an automatic, but I’m probably putting a new transmission in it. Is it worth it to go 5spd or will I experience elctronic/computer problems?

Its alot of work to switch to a manual transmission, including installing new pedal assembly, I would leave it auto.

Update: found a 98 rs that runs but smokes for 450. Any reason to believe it’s anything other than a head gasket? 150k all original. Definitely a better deal than the gs right?

All bad deals and in the long run you will always be wishing you had a turbo model. Smoke coming from a car could be so many things. It would take some tests to get it nailed down.

My advice. Save some money find a nice GST and make that a project car. Why spend $450 on a car and then another few hundred to get it running then a few more hundred to keep it running. Then you'll want to do some mods, another few hundred. After all is said and done you might be in the car $2000+ and still wish you had a turbo model. For that kind of money, you can find a turbo car.

I think a lot of that for me ties in with the wanting a project side of it. Believe me, what I really want is a gsx LOL. But do you think that buying one with no problems I would learn the same amount from doing mods as I would if I were to buy one to fix up and then mod?

I think a lot of that for me ties in with the wanting a project side of it. Believe me, what I really want is a gsx LOL. But do you think that buying one with no problems I would learn the same amount from doing mods as I would if I were to buy one to fix up and then mod?

Buying a non-turbo that doesn't run means you are going to learn how to get a dodge neon running. Is that what you want to learn?

Finding a GSX cheap is next to impossible, people are selling rollers with no motor for thousands. Not sure if they get it but they ask. If you want to learn these cars and don't have a bunch of upfront money I would save up for a project GS-T. They are out there for decent money.

from my experience buying a car that isn't running is either something really simple to fix or turns into a huge mess. If you are new to building cars starting with something that runs well and then modifying from there is your best bet. unless you have unlimited amounts of money to spend.

What do y’all think the misfire on that gsx could be/is?

Unfortunately I’m east coast and that’s colorado

Last edited by a moderator:
be patient and buy a nice car that isnt rundown. these cars are already a PITA so avoid any problems you can from the start

and good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the na to turbo builds and decide if the later cost is worth having a slow car in the mean time. The auto transmission is fine on dsms. You also get constant boost and other benefits. Going manual is a waste of money unless you're road racing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back