The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Drag Race Build 2g awd swap forward facing 6466

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

**UPDATE 6/05/17**

First of all WTFFF!? Got everything hooked up and ready to go, primed the fuel and oil systems, cranked the car over after 2 cranks it fired right up! HOWEVER IT IS STILL SMOKING.. New head from last year, new valve seals, new rings, new everything basically.. Somebody throw some ideas my way

IMG_5529.PNG

Started mocking up the bumper and headlights to see how much I have to hack the left side headlight and there wont be much headlight left! Obviously, the bumper is not fully secured yet

IMG_5618.JPG

IMG_5617.JPG

**UPDATE 6/14/17**
Got the car out of the winter storage shed/garage! Drove the car for the first time, with my handsome co pilot, up to the front to meet back up with Brandons 1g that stays at my house. First time these cars have both been running together in over a year! Well the glory last all of about an our then it was time to tear it back down.
IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

Ok, that was fun driving it, time to get serious. T-minus 2 or 3 hours later it was torn down and I found the culprit to the 2 year chase of my smoking issue. Since I cannot upload a video on here and dont feel like going through youtube.. I have screen shots from my video showing the PTW clearance that is extremely excessive. New rings will be here friday so HOPEFULLY by next week this car will be back on the road!!

IMG_5646.JPG

IMG_5652.PNG
IMG_5654.PNG

Cylinder walls still look good at least!

IMG_5648.JPG

**UPDATE 6/20/2017**

Tore the bottom end down and found some interesting things.. Cyl #2 which I knew was the problem child was in fact the culprit. New rings are installed, bearings lubed up and its back together again! hopefully......IT WONT BURN OIL NOW!

19399795_10159054532905651_5841214059181895010_n.jpg

back together waiting on a head gasket
IMG_5735.JPG

Man,you guys have some good taste in cars. However, I don't like the way that kids looking at me. Tell him to back off or we can race for pinks. Anyways, hopefully this thing will be running soon.

Took it out for the first car wash and a fun street cruise to make sure everything is going as it should. Found a small oil leak to address other than that everything is working as it should and its RIPPING(lower intercooler pipe was installed after the pictures haha)

19642267_10159140204320651_522436425039664638_n.jpg
19260643_10159140207170651_1701501348236970519_n.jpg
19665384_10159140210135651_7480849279643470258_n.jpg
19598974_10159140210825651_8627810248953285323_n.jpg

Got the exhaust finished up too!

IMG_5901.PNG
IMG_5909.JPG
IMG_5908.JPG

Thanks man! The DP is currently exiting out of the fender. I am contemplating on keeping it that way and doing a teardrop cut out of the fender or making some more bends and make it dump out of the bumper. I forgot to take a picture with the DP installed, Ill get one tonight

Here is version 1 of the downpipe, it's not finished yet but at least it spits the exhaust out to the side! This is need to get wrapped for sure.

IMG_5923.JPG
IMG_5922.JPG
IMG_5921.JPG

Took the car out for some cruising and dialing in the tune. Shes running strong and KEEPING COOL!!! Ran out to Dragway 42 over the weekend for the Slowmotion track day(didn't race) which is a 25-30 min drive and temps stayed 180-190 the whole way there any back in the 80+ degree heat! The goal is to test and tune at this track this Friday, STAY TUNED!! got my bumper(center bracket needs bent up to close the gap between hood and bumper) and fender on too!!

IMG_6025.JPG

**UPDATE 7/31/17**

Got everything buttoned up, and loaded her up on the trailer to go racing last Friday and it was a huge success! This is on pump gas 93, 18" street tires and 32 psi fyi!

So the last time this car went down the track this car was basically 100% stock back in 2008 or 2009. It went 14 something at 99 mph.

IMG_6100.JPG

So the first pass I rolled out very slow just testing the car out grabbed a 2.7 60ft, 11.82 at 142.95! Was NOT expecting that!
IMG_6103.JPG

IMG_6116.JPG

IMG_6101.JPG

After some issues with the track I was able to only get one more run in before the night was up, this time around I launched it to a 1.81 60ft, 10.42 at 143.27! Second pass ever in the car and I brought it deep into the 10's! Bogged the launch then spun in first, grabbed second and it blew the tires off again, once I hit third gear and slapped fourth she was ripping!

IMG_6105.JPG

Was very pumped after this being that the 10's came that easy! Time to dial this launch in and get that 9!! Loaded the car up for the night and nothing was broken! At least until the next day haha
IMG_6110.JPG
IMG_6109.JPG

Come Saturday I went out for a cruise and did a quick 2-3 pull. turned around headed back home and the car died. No fuel no spark. Some how the crank trigger hit something and took out the crank position sensor. New parts will be here today and I WILL be racing this Friday to get that 9!

You didn't have to tune the car at all before you hit the track?
Great numbers by the way for a few shakedown runs!!!

Best of luck hitting the 9s. Are you going to switch to a sticky tire?

thanks man, I want to hit a 9 with street tires is the goal. Then switch to Hoosiers. In regards to the crank trigger and sensor I should have the car back running today or tomorrow.

You didn't have to tune the car at all before you hit the track?
Great numbers by the way for a few shakedown runs!!!

I street tuned the car to 32 psi last week. Sunday Aug 13 I'll be strapping down to a dyno to make some jam

Finally started the project I've been wanting to do, BUMPER SHUTTERS! SO here is my DIY..
- 4'x2' ABS plastic sheet that is 1/16" thick - $22.00
- Carbon vinyl wrap - $10.00
- Pan head allen bolts - free laying in garage
(FYI the bolts in the picture are not the bolts that I will be using)

All and all I had $30 invested and I like the look of mine better than the angry aero ones even, pretty satisfied!
First I cut out a template using paper and masking tape, lay it out on the plastic and trace it. You can actually cut the plastic sheet with scissors so that made it 100 times easier. Tape the new plastic piece to the bumper and pucker your b hole to start drilling 22 holes! Lay the first plastic shutter on the sheet of plastic, cut out another one but reverse do the same process, wrap them and bolt em down!

IMG_6171.JPG

IMG_6170.JPG
IMG_6172.JPG
IMG_6173.JPG
IMG_6174.JPG

Can't wait to get the new bolts on it and finish these!

Attachments

• IMG_6159.JPG
    IMG_6159.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 96
I am diggin the new look! PENDING THE RAIN(50% on friday)... I'm going back to the track this Friday again to chase that 9! Then, this Sunday I finally get to strap down to a dyno. Bunch of local dsmers are putting on a dyno tuning day before the shootout and I got a spot just to see the power I'm at.

IMG_6237.JPG
IMG_6239.JPG

I for sure want to strap a go pro to the cage!

What fuel?.......Pump 93 (I'm the pump gas hero)
What spark?....Stock ignition system BPR7ES plugs
What Turbo?....PTE Gen 2 6466 @ 32psi
What Cams?....GSC S3

Mind you the dyno is a heart breaker :(

Had a very stressful weekend with the car. I know that I shouldn't have went racing Friday but the inner me that wants 9 seconds overtook the obvious thing to do. So...recap

Friday- Went racing on the first launch I broke something I thought the tires were spinning so I stayed in it and potentially did more damage, once I realized something was wrong I let out and coasted to a 15 something at 70 some mph. New slow record haha. Seemed like the clutch was slipping..bad. So I get home and start ripping it apart got the trans and clutch off and it seemed like the clutch was smoked. By now its about 2am.

Saturday- Put my old 2600 ACT clutch in just so I can make it to the dyno event on Sunday. By the time I got the new clutch in it was about 1pm or so. Go to take it out for a test drive and its doing the same exact thing. Boom, figured it HAD to be internal on the trans. Pull it back into the garage and within an hour the trans was back out and I was headed 45 minutes away to a buddies house who is great with these transmissions and was going to weld the center diff. Mind you this trans was 100% stock with an open diff. Get to his place by 7pm or so we start tearing the trans apart to find this. Center diff was exploded, output gear was destroyed and chunks of metal were throughout my entire trans. So now the hunt was on for a new one just to make life easier. BOOM, found one in Akron(50 min away from me)

Sunday- Make the drive out to Akron, get there around noon(I am scheduled to be on the dyno at 4:30) Get to the guy selling me a trans only to realize the trans was junk.. So at this point I gave up trying to get my car on the dyno.

Monday- Sourced another trans about an hour away from me

Tuesday- Picked up the trans, cleaned it, put my quarter master 8 leg twin back on, put the new trans in and VOILA it shits doesn't slip anymore and shifts clean through all 5 gears.

THE SHOOTOUT SCRAMBLE IS OVER!

IMG_6317.JPG

Old blown trans

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6306.JPG
IMG_6307.JPG
IMG_6308.JPG

New grimy trans

IMG_6320.PNG

Lot of elbow grease and some fancy spray painting goes a long way

IMG_6319.JPG

Mounted the twin back up

IMG_6300.JPG

Back in the car Tuesday evening and good as new

IMG_6321.JPG

This week is always hell.. Now that my car is done it leaves me with 1 day basically to help do a clutch in my buddies 2g and tune my other buddies 1g meanwhile getting everything else ready for Friday.

SEE YOU ALL AT THE SHOOTOUT!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back