The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Drag Race Build 2g awd swap forward facing 6466

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picking my head up today! Head gasket will be here today as well! Will be up and running this weekend! Back to chasing that 9 at next weeks test n tune

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG

41250501_309381946279444_6502888516903501824_n.jpg

Mike,
Looking great! I hope the car rips at the next track event. I also am glad to see the water pump pulley is working out for you.

Well, the car is smoking now worse than ever and something needs to be done about it. It truly is acting like the turbo is blown. Pulling it off today for a rebuild, the amount of oil in my exhaust is ridiculous.. Tomorrow some new parts get here for the new look. So expect new pictures Wednesday!

Well, the car is smoking now worse than ever and something needs to be done about it. It truly is acting like the turbo is blown. Pulling it off today for a rebuild, the amount of oil in my exhaust is ridiculous.. Tomorrow some new parts get here for the new look. So expect new pictures Wednesday!

Good luck with the turbo rebuild Mike. Hope this solves the problem.

I'm wondering if the turbo seals/bushings got excessive wear due to the coolant getting in to the oil possibly

**THE BEST UPDATE EVER**

So, I decided it was time to tear this apart again - there was obviously something wrong in the bottom end. Tore it down last week, pulled pistons out and found some interesting things. Cylinder 1,3 and 4 oil expander rings were destroyed - hence the absurd amount of oil being burnt. This is due to the lack of the oil rail supports....I haven't had oil rail supports since 2016. I have no idea how this didn't catastrophically destroy everything. So, Saturday morning a friend came out to help re assemble this pig. Gapped the rings, honed the cylinders, go to install everything and notice something funky when sliding the rod back and forth on the wrist pins. All 4 wrist pins were bent!!! So I take a trip out to Summit Racing and got my hands on some HD pins. Get home, install the wrist pins, by now its about 6:00 so we end up going out to eat. Get back home and throw the pistons back in the car. Nothing was going as it should but I was finally making progress. Clean everything up real good, throw the head on and start torquing it down and yet again..head studs stripped out on the very first one. Luckily I have about 20 spares so I go one by one and none of them worked. We gave up for the night and started drinking some beers haha. Meanwhile my friend is playing with a head stud he found and he goes lets try this one - why the hell not. Throw it in, torques down as it should along with the rest!! WE WERE ONTO SOMETHING! By now its far past midnight but the motivation had skyrocketed so we start knocking things out left and right, before we knew it it was 3:00 am and the car was ready to be turned over! -BEDTIME- Next morning I go to start it, it fires right up, smokes a little, I drove it around the block to burn out all of the residual oil, VOIALAAAAAAA IT DOESN'T FRICKEN SMOKE ANYMORE!!@#$@#!

gfsdgsdfgs.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3017.JPG
IMG_3020.JPG
IMG_3019.JPG
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3030.JPG

October 12th and October 19th are the last two test n tune nights, I have got 2 more chances to get that 9 this year

Well.. unfortunately, no 9's this year. Friday night I got one pass in before it rained and somehow missed 4th gear terribly haha(proud to say that was the first missed gear ever on the track). Got back in it and went 10.5 at 142. Loaded up for the night, left the car in the trailer because Saturday was an all day event. Get to the track Saturday afternoon, hop into the lanes and here's how the pass went - 1.59 60' (best launch all year in the car) It was moving, grabbed second perfectly didn't fall out of boost or anything, grab 3rd perfectly and then at about 6500 rpm the trans lets go and the car revs out, so I short shift into 4th and the car had absolutely no power. I got out of it around the 1100' range. 10.4 at 138..... The 1/8 ET was the same as my 10.1 pass however it was 20 mph slower. That truly was going to be a great pass. SO, I pull off the track and hear the worst knocking noise - GROSS - Load the car up and tore it apart yesterday and #4 bearing is a goner.

IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3230.JPG
IMG_3231.JPG
IMG_3245.JPG
IMG_3246.JPG
IMG_3267.JPG
IMG_3265.JPG
IMG_3263.JPG
IMG_3269.JPG
IMG_3270.JPG
IMG_3271.JPG
IMG_3273.PNG

Well I haven't updated for a while because I haven't done much work to the car! I did manage to pull the block out and now the car is awaiting its new motor which is almost done! You'll see more on this soon I promise.
IMG_3614.JPG

In other news I did a thing...

So, a local guy was selling a 2g gsx shell, 2 transmissions, 2 t cases and a 6 bolt long block for stupid cheap. I just wanted the transmissions but he would not separate. So my friend talked me into going out with the trailer and taking a look. The plan was to buy it all, haul the car straight to a scrap yard, sell the 6 bolt and have 2 trans and 2 t cases for free haha. We get there and this car is ridiculously clean not a spec of rust underneath. That being said my plan has come to me sooner than I thought it would. Within the next 3-4 years I wanted a new shell because mine is crusty underneath, strut towers, rockers, rear wheel wells all have their typical 2g crap. Daily driving it years ago through Ohio winters has taken its toll.

IMG_3781.JPG
IMG_3802.JPG
IMG_3801.JPG
IMG_3785.JPG
IMG_3784.JPG
IMG_3786.JPG
IMG_3783.JPG
IMG_3782.JPG
IMG_3793.JPG
IMG_3813.JPG

The core support has some damage but that does not matter as it will all get cut off anyways.

So here's the plan: Finish my car(black one) get the new engine installed, get it running and push it to the side. Bring the new shell in, strip it down, cage it, tube the front end and get it ready for paint. I will most likely get it painted either 2019 or 2020 depending on how things go with my car this year. Once it's painted all of my parts will go into the new car and part ways with the black car. The real question is..... WHITE OR BLACK??? This car will get carbon doors, possibly fenders, and a roof.

Attachments

• IMG_3796.JPG
    IMG_3796.JPG
    472.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3797.JPG
    IMG_3797.JPG
    477.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3817.JPG
    IMG_3817.JPG
    478.8 KB · Views: 85
** Edit** Me and @goonie90gsx tore down the 6 bolt, all stock besides ARP head studs. The bottom end was just refreshed with all new bearings, still had assembly lube on them! And someone thought that silicon would be a good addition on top of the head gasket haha.

IMG_3817.JPG

** Edit** Me and @goonie90gsx tore down the 6 bolt, all stock besides ARP head studs. The bottom end was just refreshed with all new bearings, still had assembly lube on them! And someone thought that silicon would be a good addition on top of the head gasket haha.

View attachment 556990

Makes me think them new bearings in the bottom end might need a looking at... Silicone makes everything better!!

Nice score on the parts etc.

Edit- I'll throw another vote in for Lexus white as far as paint goes.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back