The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2g anyboost > 19psi, engine flutters/cel trips

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiggity99

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2011
York Haven, Pennsylvania
As soon as I adjust my MBC to anything greater than 19lbs of boost, ill get into it in 2nd gear, and right as the engine reaches >3800RPMS, you can hear the power STOP and a fluttering through the exhaust. If I try to stay into it, it bucks, and I get out of it. I can ride 19psi till 7000RPM and it runs perfect. As soon as the boost pressure is changed to 20/22/23/25, Whatever, in 2nd gear especially it loses all power, flutters, and that's where im stuck at. Fuel pressure is set to 43.5 via Fuel Lab regulator, -6an from filter to rail. Is there a difference between 1g and 2g fuel filters? Let's say (im pretty sure not), im running a 1g fuel filter.. could this cause the problem? Anny help would be greatly appreciated.

--Steve

What's your spark plug gap? You can try closing out down .02 at a time. Really your gonna have to start eliminating things. How about data logging some sensors (o2, maf, tps, ect, ks,etc.) And what trouble codes are stored?

im tuning via ECMLink v3, plugs are gapped to manu settings (NGK BPRE7), not a trace of knock.
I cranked my Bypass Valve down pretty far, and besides the unit not releasing pressure correct, I could swear
the car runs much more responsive. I did a boost leak test, and as soon as the pressure gets to 12/13psi the bov leaks out the outlet. So I turned it in a few turns, and it held till 15psi.. going to get a tial unit, and see whats up..

thanks for the replies..

Yea that spring gets weaker and requires more tightening til its out of boost range and youll get a boost leak above stock levels 12psi and higher on most, and adjusting per psi to hold. I hate knowing my 2g stock BOV is most likely leaking and not doing 8-10lbs of boost

cougar...
yer right, this is my 4th engine,but this time its fully built. I now wish I had went with a bigger turbo, exh mani, etc.. the bov was definitely the problem. I rode 20psi till 6kRPM and no flutter.. felt pretty good, considering that's the highest pressure I have been able to hold for 8months.. going to peak at 25psi, just not sure if I need tuned in the higher RPM range. Got my injectors dialed in, idle is fine, cruise trims are good. (thanks, Chris!! :) ) just don't want to turn it up to 25, and detonate, etc.. would like to be sure. So, in short... PROBLEM RESOLVED!! (too bad im missing my front teeth!! ;) )

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back