The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

[2g] '98 Eclipse RS "Selena"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EntropiousDesign

Probationary Member
Nov 7, 2015
Hampstead, North_Carolina
A couple weeks ago I was gifted my first Eclipse. A beautiful '98 RS. It has some valve leak issues but beyond that it drives like a beast. But hey after 254,000 Miles you would have some leaking issues too. She has some minor cosmetic dents and dings, but nothing that detracts from its natural beauty. She is bone-stock at the moment, but over the next few years I hope to change that quite drastically. Hopefully by end-game she can take on my dads 350HP '09 Mustang California Special :D. She's gonna need some serious TLC, but I have never driven a car that fits me so perfectly. I don't plan on creating a iconic "Tuner" out of her, but a daily- driver with some power and style.

So without further ado, I present to you lovely people; "Selena".
12063485_1027962653915055_718289295173395280_n.jpg

Already upgraded:
Only the sound system so far;
  • Innovatek 7" Touch screen Head unit
  • 2x Rockford Fosgate 6" in the Doors
  • 2x 6x9" in the Back

Not much, but you gotta drive with good tunes, and I already had all the equipment :D

Plans for the Near-ish Future? (Keep in mind I don't know brands or anything yet for these cars)
  • Get the engine in tip-top shape
  • Set the stance, Rims, Tires, Struts and coil overs.
  • Upgrade all the brakes and convert the rear to Disc Brakes.
  • Repair the Exterior Cosmetic blemishes: A few dings and a nasty yellow streak on the rear bumper.
  • Cold air intake
  • Better spark plugs, and increase the gap.
  • Re-carpet the trunk, for some reason the carpet was pulled out..
  • Re-fabric the headliner.. again, removed for some reason, the headliners there, but its just fiberglass.
  • Halo Headlights

More-Distant Plans:
  • Stage 2 Internals; Valves, Rockers, Cams, Pistons, Injectors, the works.
  • t3/t4 Turbo: Going to try to reach 12-14 PSI but we shall see the closer that day comes.
  • Wide Band o2 Sensor
  • Front Mount intercooler
  • Full Catback Exhaust (but I'm not about to put a "Fart Cannon"* on her.. that's just disrespectful.)
  • A decent, but mild body kit.
  • Interior accent lighting (basically replace the floor-board lights with orange Neon/LED, and maybe some EL** Wiring)
  • I'd Love to make some custom sequential tail lights, nothing too flashy just different.
  • Repaint with a dark metallic gunmetal/silver with black and orange accents
I would say I have intermediate car knowledge, and with that and the help of the internet, one step at a time, this will become the vision in my mind.

*By Fart Cannon, and I don't think I should have to explain this but just in case, I mean the obnoxious exhaust systems that sound like extremely loud flatulence. No one wants to hear that.
**Electro-Luminescent wire example: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/r8Hj9Z32j-8/maxresdefault.jpg

TTFN, Ta Ta for now!

Wow, sounds like a great car!! I to have an rs but it's a 99 with 100,000 miles on it. I really with I had gone for one that looked nicer and didn't have a bad paint job, but the miles and the solid engine took me. My plans are about the same but I've started with some light mods already. I stated with a short ram intake so I wouldn't have to worry about hydro locking, then picked up a strut bar. Soon after that( yesterday) i picked up a spec D cat back exhaust and some eBay headers and down pipe and so far I'm very impressed with it. The exhaust sounds great not raspy at all and for the price I had to get it. If your up for suggestions, if I were you I'd start off picking up these mods. All together I don't think I've invested more than $300 dollars on these mods and my cars running and driving a hundred times better! Any ways good luck with your dsm adventure and keep me in the loop on what your doing to your car, I love hearing what other people have done to there cars

Seems like you have a good base to start with and you have a good plan.

I have an rs and for my first DSM it was great, Learned a lot.

Now depending on how it was treated by PO I would also do a few checks for common issues with 420a engines. Check Oil Pressure Level Sensor for leaks on side of engine near firewall. This was a huge issue with mine and its easy to fix.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back