The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

215/50/17 vs. 225/45/17 on OEM GSX wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have 215/45 on 17x7's In my eyes they fit perfect
If I go to a 225 I think, I will go with a 40 not 45 seems like it would fit better... .

Last edited:
Damn, those look mean!

Thanks! I agree!

I have 215/45 on 17x7's In my eyes they fit perfect
If I go to a 225 I think, I will go with a 40 not 45 seems like it would fit better... .

I went with the 45 aspect ratio so that the tire circumference was closer to stock.

The stock tire was 205/55/16 which was 8.07 inches wide, 24.88 inches diameter, and 78.16 inches circumference.

With the 225/45/17 the width is 8.86 inches, 24.97 inches diameter, and 78.45 inches circumference.

If I were had gone with a 225/40/17 as you suggest, the width would be 8.86 inches, 24.09 inches diameter, 75.67 inches circumference.

As you can see, the 225/45/17 is closer to stock in diameter and circumference while being wider which is what I wanted.

Sorry to go off topic, but what would the circumference be with a 225/50/16?
Just wondering how close mine are to stock.

I wasn't sure off the top my head... .
But seems to me 45 would be abit to much sidewall for my taste...
Purely off measurements ya the 45 would the closer match -0.41% Diameter Difference vs +3.18 that's only like a 2mph difference

Purely aesthetically I think the 40 would be better Lol
But then again It's hard to say with out a side by side...and you'll probably limit your time manufacturer going with a 225/40/17... .

Anyone have pics of a 17x7 wheel with a 235/45 or 40? seems like you would need a 7.5 rim... .

225/50/16 would be 78.06 its not quite 0.10% difference

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't sure off the top my head... .
But seems to me 45 would be abit to much sidewall for my taste...
Purely off measurements ya the 45 would the closer match -0.41% Diameter Difference vs +3.18 that's only like a 2mph difference

Purely aesthetically I think the 40 would be better Lol
But then again It's hard to say with out a side by side...and you'll probably limit your time manufacturer going with a 225/40/17... .

Anyone have pics of a 17x7 wheel with a 235/45 or 40? seems like you would need a 7.5 rim... .

225/50/16 would be 78.06 its not quite +0.10%

I'm not a huge fan of really thin sidewalls. I like with the balance between looks and (hopefully) performance with the 225/45/17 while staying close to the stock diameter/circumference.

RadDsm, 225/50/16 would have a 24.86 diameter and 78.09 circumference according to my numbers which is very close to stock, just wider.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a huge fan of really thin sidewalls. I like with the balance between looks and (hopefully) performance with the 225/45/17 while staying close to the stock diameter/circumference.

I'm not really a about "looks" Was more joking then anything.
I just prefer as little sidewall as possible usually means less flex
I missed the pic above yours doesn't seem to bad...

Here's a link I have used some to help decide. It even takes into consideration offset and how much difference there is in the wheels and tires. Sunny SN3800 Non Run-Flat Tire Review - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

What the tire mounter was talking about is based on what is reccommended by the tire manufactures. If you look up the tire specs like for a 225/45/17 the designed rim width range is about 7" to 8.5". Anything under or over that could reduce traction, handling, tire life, and possibly safety. Wider might even scrub down your gas mileage some......LOL but the increased traction will help it because of less tire spin!

I think a 225 45 17 would be ideal. It's a fairly wide tire with a low profile so grip will be good but you might lose a little comfort, but it will definitely have a nice stance to the car.

Kyle_T more pics please! im very interested in picking up a set of the gsx wheels and going with the same setup you have. kind of torn between the gsx wheels and evo 8 wheels

heres a couple from the same day. I dont really have any others since that was that last day the car was out of the garage for the winter.

Im at stock ride height by the way.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

if you want some specific pictures I can snap a couple in the garage.

awsome man, i just picked up a set of 4 gsx wheels, 2 are mint and 2 of them are slightly bent...got them all for 120 bucks locally. Trying to source 2 other wheels currently and then im going to order up some new tread!

awsome man, i just picked up a set of 4 gsx wheels, 2 are mint and 2 of them are slightly bent...got them all for 120 bucks locally. Trying to source 2 other wheels currently and then im going to order up some new tread!

yea mine were pretty bad too.

got 'em blasted and 2 of them straightened.

can you post some up close shots of the rubber to see how much bulging there is with the 225/45r17s

I can snap a picture tomorrow if you want.

Thanks man, appreciate it. How are your wheels holding up? talked to a couple gsx guys and they say these 2 piece wheels are almost too soft for street use. What do you think

Thanks man, appreciate it. How are your wheels holding up? talked to a couple gsx guys and they say these 2 piece wheels are almost too soft for street use. What do you think

Well theyre holding up pretty good sitting in the garage since my car isnt running yet :p But I have heard that the gsx wheels are pretty soft.

I really love the look of the wheels and i've been told the 3g eclipses have the 1piece design of the gsx wheel.

I hope that the 225 with some good rubber will give me enough traction for my setup once everything is together.

6 year grave digger here. Just got a set of BNIB GSX 17s. Went with 225/45s. Bought them from one of the guys who won them at M.O.D 5 years ago.
My current wheels are a so damn big idk how they fit. They're 18s with 235/40s and they are rubbing since the all-wheel drive conversion in the rear. TEINs jacked up as high as they'll go.
I have no idea of the brand or offset but these suckers must be 9" wide. Going to a 6.5 wheel is gonna bulge a bit but this is an auto car with a laggy FP Black, it's not meant for carving canyons.
I will resurrect this with pics asap. Tires come in friday so with the nice weather saturday i'll have em mounted up and pics posted.

Popped them on today. Here's a cropped pic. Original was like 7.5MB so it wouldn't let me upload. That's ok, y'all don't need to see my expedition!

They don't bulge much at ALL. I was surprised. I'm lowered on Tein Basics and still have clearance from spindle arm to tire. Not a lot, mind you. It's just the offset of these. Too much.
I THINKit's like a 45 or 46? I could be wrong. Should've made them max 40 offset. But, that's just my opinion. I fn love the look of them and no one else has literally brand new stockers!haha

Attachments

• 20170211_153122.jpg
    20170211_153122.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 83
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back