The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2 huge problems with my 95 talon Help...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainlessher0

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2006
Palm Coast, Florida
alright guys i have 2 huge problems... the first problem .... When i am going 40 mph my car tells me im going 80 mph i am hoping this is just a calibration issue due to the fact the car had the ecu replaced by the previous owner. the second problem is i will be driving and for no reason the car will begin to spit and sputter for about 5 -10 seconds almost like its not getting fuel then all of a sudden comes back to life. It does this periodically and i have no control over it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know This car is getting to be almost dangerous to drive.

thanks everyone

brainlessher0 said:
alright guys i have 2 huge problems... the first problem .... When i am going 40 mph my car tells me im going 80 mph i am hoping this is just a calibration issue due to the fact the car had the ecu replaced by the previous owner. If anyone has any ideas please let me know This car is getting to be almost dangerous to drive.
thanks everyone

Sounds like the speed sensor in the tranny. Only thing i can think of other than the cluster is malfunctioning.

brainlessher0 said:
the second problem is i will be driving and for no reason the car will begin to spit and sputter for about 5 -10 seconds almost like its not getting fuel then all of a sudden comes back to life

Could be about 10 diferent things, but since your a 95 I'm going to give you the most likely.

1. Crank sensor..........never fails to crap out on 95's and usually overheats while driving.
2. coil
3. wires
4. MAP sensor
5. the notorious 95 ecu failure.

The 95's can be heros when it comes to boosting w/o an fcd, but they are notorious for so many other electrical part failures.

Thanks much... im gonna check all of the above and i am purchasing a new ecu....

New ECU's are pretty expensive last time I checked, why are you just gonna throw money away if you don't know it's the problem yet?

$255? Doesn't sound too expensive to me... but I would try to troubleshoot the other possible areas of malfunction.

Where's Palm Coast?

Just north of daytona.. the guy i was buying the ecu from fell through so i am not getting it after all.

Ohhh... I just drove through there earlier today.

You can get a remanufactured unit from Satan for about $250.

yea i bought this car to drive for a matter of 2 3 weeks tops tell i finish moding my 05 mustang gt.... well first day the engine blew and now i have invested way to much money... now i have all these problems i just want to fix it.. sell it.. and never see it again..

None of the sensors on the motor are the problem. That is the worst advise i have ever heard. Crank, Cam ect ect Come on.

I will bet you the sensor in my car that you have a Neon sensor in that trans. Remove it and install one for a 2gnt. Problem solved.

Backround: The Neon sensor read 2X the speed when compared to a 2gnt sensor. Some genious figured it was the same sensor and replaced it.

ECU? Gauge Cluster? Come on guys.

Terry

I doubt it Paul. Very well could be a second problem. Just because there are multiple problems, i would not jump to conclusions to replace the ECU.

I could be wrong but the Speedo issue is common because the tranny's are the same and its easy to expect the sensor to be the same.

Here is another question.... Did the speedo ever work properly? If it did then you know the sensor is the correct one. The way i read it it sounds like you might have bought the car like this.

Terry

yea i bought it like this.. the guy told me it was as simple as having somone adjust it... the second day the motor was blown.. the tach works and apears to be the right rpm.. i drive a motorcycle so i pretty much know where abouts i am rpm wise and it sounds and feels about right. I think you are right on about the sensor it def sounds like that is somthing this guy would have done... but thanks so much ill try to find the sensors and get that replaced.

alright.. i did a search on ebay.. no luck does anyone know where i can find one of these? and what would it be called/ listed as?

thanks so much guys

brainlessher0 said:
alright.. i did a search on ebay.. no luck does anyone know where i can find one of these? and what would it be called/ listed as?

thanks so much guys

Part number...
M04671044 at a Mitsu dealership, and
04671044 at a Chrysler/Dodge dealership.

I believe they're around $80. I'd check with the Chrysler/Dodge dealership first...

Check to see if anyoen has a spare on 2gnt or here. No sense buying a new one. I used to have spares but people needed them.

Also take a close look at yours, check to see if it is a round pin or flat pin. Flat pins are sold by the dealer or parts store. If you have the old round pin, you will need to change the plug on your harness. Even better reason to look for a good used one.

Terry

alright... um LOL its a noob question but where is it located?

On the back of the tranny. If you remove the windshield washer bottle, battery, and intake, you should be able to see it. It faces straight up and is held in with one 10mm bolt. There are three wires coming from it. Also, there aren't any other sensors on the tranny in the same general area, so it is hard to get it confused with something else.

Talon ESI-T said:
None of the sensors on the motor are the problem. That is the worst advise i have ever heard. Crank, Cam ect ect Come on.

I will bet you the sensor in my car that you have a Neon sensor in that trans. Remove it and install one for a 2gnt. Problem solved.

Backround: The Neon sensor read 2X the speed when compared to a 2gnt sensor. Some genious figured it was the same sensor and replaced it.

ECU? Gauge Cluster? Come on guys.

Terry

ARE YOU DRUNK? j/k. You only stated the possible correction for the tranny which was the speed sensor which was ALREADY mentioned for this symptom.

The other suggestions where for the sputtering and stalling. they had nothing to do with the speedometer misreadings.

the car hasnt sputtered in two days.. im wondering if i was just passing dirt and stuff through the fuel pump. It sort of seemed like it wasnt gettin fuel hense the engine dieing and when i keep pumping on the gas it came back to life... so im hoping i no longer have that problem. Once it stops raining (tropical storm shit) ill check the sensor

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back