The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1GB Talon TSI 16G, on methanol

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

got the car done finally.. have to take picks of the cage and a few other things I've changed and get them up here for you guys.

382hp/369tq dyno vid (stock bottom end)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDmJvzC9FtI]16G Record 1G: Pre-season 2013. - YouTube[/ame]

Drove the car to the track made 2 passes and drove it home..
first pass was 10.43@128 with a 1.41 60ft
2nd pass was a 10.53@128 with a 1.44 60ft

next time I go I'll trailer it up there so I can let some air out of the tires and try for a 1.3* 60 ft.. in the mean time i'll try to get my 11:1 engine back together and in. when I broke the record I had a 1.51 60ft.

couple pics from the track:

5983_10151641598589074_1499871507_n_zps1a32befa.jpg

936124_10151641672139074_56651101_n_zpsbe4f1b8a.jpg

946753_10151641671739074_66185778_n_zpsb2f4f4b0.jpg

Video from the weekend:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM0BCiZRaEQ]FORCE Engineering Midnight Madness/Dyno Day - YouTube[/ame]

Man does that thing stage nice and then get up and move out quick. :hellyeah: Looks absolutely beautiful too! :thumb: Nice work!:)

Thanks man! I'm very heppy with how it has turned out so far.. Lots of time has gone into this to make it an easy car to race, so far it's working

Love the way the car launches, wow. When my car is complete I might have to take a trip to Michigan and see it in person.

Thought i'd throw up some pics and a video. Have been driving the car aound a bit. I have to do something to quite the fuel pump down if i'm going to drive it allot. I've been experimenting with a couple things with no real success but still have more things try.

034B1DF2-2400-4F66-80CC-4CFBA8F7F2D3-7300-0000018E3E8BEE0C_zps25bc52f9.jpg

talons_zps248b26b8.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhLbdJ3r47A]Tyler Hassing's stock block 16g - YouTube[/ame]

Last Saturday I drove the car to my local track (US 131 Motorsports park) and went bracket racing. I hadn't run brackets for a couple years and wasn't very confident. Had to back the launch RPM down so I could concentrate on the lights rather then the brake pedal. Ended up losing in the quarter finals with a .0004 red light! The class had 50 cars in it, and I made it to the last 6 with the only car in the class that was driven to and from the track. Had a couple good races, and a couple easy ones, but I sure did have fun. Had traction issues on the boost hit.. with the launch RPM at 2700 it would only make 8 psi on the limiter, roll out about 15 ft. and spike to 40+. The boost came on so hard I had to drive the car a couple times. After the fact, my buddy said he didn't think I was in the grove, and I hadn't even thought about that the whole night, so I'm sure that had something to do with the inconsistent 60ft times. I'm thinking over the next couple weeks I'll go through my drive shaft and buy Magnus's billet T-case cover so I can do a little burn out. Hoping with a burn out to clean/heat the tires a bit the 60ft times will be much more consistent. Anyway I thought I'd let you guys know what I've been doing with the car. Also my aluminum rod (11.5:1) short block is about ready to go together, might toss that in soon and make another crack at the record. 60 ft time were from 1.54 to 1.61. ET was 10.67-10.73 depending on the 60 ft. MPH was 127.1 to 127.6.. BTW the car gets around 11 MPG :)

why the 26 inch tall slicks instead of 24.5s? Do you not think you would gain a cpl mph and maybe a bit faster et? I ask because i'm in the market for slicks and all the og's say to go 24.5 at my power level (fp 71hta with full supporting mods).

With the 26in. Tire I'm going through the traps around 7500 at 128, and 7800 @ 133. This is in 3rd gear of the auto (1:1) with the stock converter.

Thought I would take a second and update this for every one. I've been bracket racing the car off and on, and cruising it a bit as well. Now that Shootout is around the corner I'm trying to get a hand full of things ready. The biggest being the new BME rodded lower end. I have a list of other things to change/add to the car before shootout as well. On that list are things like deleting active toe, Magnus billet t-case cover, and a few others. The new bottom end is a BME aluminum rod/Wiseco piston combo. Standard rod length, 11:1 compression, Kiggly main girdle and a windage tray i'm currently working on.

Pic from bracket racing last week:
10660_10151717146639074_283005722_n_zps66158538.jpg

New bottom end:
1044876_10151749101644074_1122155548_n_zpsa9d73567.jpg

nice tyler gonna have to get out to the track to see it, soon, love 1gs ive been watching you and john with the cars nice, builds. See you in ohio.

Thought I would take a second and update this for every one. I've been bracket racing the car off and on, and cruising it a bit as well. Now that Shootout is around the corner I'm trying to get a hand full of things ready. The biggest being the new BME rodded lower end. I have a list of other things to change/add to the car before shootout as well. On that list are things like deleting active toe, Magnus billet t-case cover, and a few others. The new bottom end is a BME aluminum rod/Wiseco piston combo. Standard rod length, 11:1 compression, Kiggly main girdle and a windage tray i'm currently working on.

Pic from bracket racing last week:
10660_10151717146639074_283005722_n_zps66158538.jpg

New bottom end:
1044876_10151749101644074_1122155548_n_zpsa9d73567.jpg

Big dome pistons are so sexy. I can not wait to see what it will do.

Have you thought about welding the combustion chambers and shaping them like a clover leaf? It is a lot more work but it will keep the piston weight down. I like to see that 16g with 13:1++. I seen how much more power on low boost 12.5:1 (calculated after the cc process and compression tested 265psi) can do. I built many 13:1 b20/vtec engines for Honda guys and always wonder what they would do if they were boosted.

Tyler... You were at 131 sports park holiday weekend? How did you place?

I didn't go this past weekend. They had a double race and I thought about making the second one.. Decided instead to work on the short block a bit, then we (G/F and I) got invited to the lake with some friends.

nice tyler gonna have to get out to the track to see it, soon, love 1gs ive been watching you and john with the cars nice, builds. See you in ohio.

Thanks man! see you in a few weeks :thumb:

Big dome pistons are so sexy. I can not wait to see what it will do.

Have you thought about welding the combustion chambers and shaping them like a clover leaf? It is a lot more work but it will keep the piston weight down. I like to see that 16g with 13:1++. I seen how much more power on low boost 12.5:1 (calculated after the cc process and compression tested 265psi) can do. I built many 13:1 b20/vtec engines for Honda guys and always wonder what they would do if they were boosted.

I kept the compression ratio lower on this because I don't know what path this car will go down in a year or so. Thought it better to keep the compression where it wouldn't limit me. I build a lot of crazy N/A stuff as well, never have welded to a piston though. Usually I'll make a mold of the combustion chamber and send it to the piston manufacturer. They cut that into the piston, then I'll finish them by hand.

I stopped by the shop Monday, I must say I was impressed, a lot going on in there! Good things happening!

It was nice talking to you Tyler. I appreciate you showing me around the shop and discussing things about the cars and setups. Those pistons/rods are wicked! I'm sure my talon will be spending some time in there this winter.

so much awesomness in this car and build. always wanted to do a FF 16g set up but never got around to it on my 1g LOL, keep up the good work man!

Thanks man!

I stopped by the shop Monday, I must say I was impressed, a lot going on in there! Good things happening!

It was nice talking to you Tyler. I appreciate you showing me around the shop and discussing things about the cars and setups. Those pistons/rods are wicked! I'm sure my talon will be spending some time in there this winter.

Thanks Shane! its was nice chatting with someone that is working with a another small charger. It'll be neat to have both our cars here.

Do you still have the stock center diff/viscous coupler in that auto?

Viscous couple delete and welded center.

Its about time I updated this.. I have been very busy on the car. Took the week off of work last week to get the car ready for testing.

Things we changed;

Rear toe eliminator
all 3 U-joints
Driveshaft yoke (twisted it)
LR wheel bearing
Front axles
Finally got the new engine & turbo installed

I've had the new combo on the dyno once so far, its looking promising. I've already exceeded my previous power number by a bit. The biggest issue right now is the converter, I was thinking I'd be able to stall the new combo, and I was wrong. I can make 5psi on the converter, but that is no where near what I need to make. I sent a converter and a check to Bradco on Friday, hopefully I'll get it back in time to make a test pass before shootout, but that isn't looking good. I'm hoping to have the car back on the dyno tonight, and see what its got. I'll post up a dyno sheet tomorrow if i'm able to get it done tonight.

new short block:

photo_zpsac52b9af.jpg

Swapping everything over

photo_zps87e69ae6.jpg

New shiny stuff :)

photo_zps087e8b11.jpg

well, ran out of fuel pump.. I'm now thinking I should have went with a mechanical setup originally but its to late for that. so, I added another pump.

fuelsystem_zps258dcf1f.jpg

John and I working late along with Paul Volk, and Joe Whalen..

latenight_zps9c4a862c.jpg

Turns out my converter will be here Wednesday.. I'll put that in during the day and make a test hit that night. If everything goes well John and I will be loading up and heading to Norwalk Thursday night. Nothing like waiting for last minute to build a whole new combo :)

Well I've got the tune close on the dyno, time to make some test hits. Car made 376TQ @ 6700 and 509HP @ 7500. The dotted line on the graph is what the previous combo made. I'm going to pull the engine out Tuesday night in preparation for the new converter (which will be here Wednesday). Also have an oil leak at my crank case vent fittings that I'll have to fix.

photo_zps57d17b2b.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back