The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1ga Headlights wont go down automatically I have searched.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshky9

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 18, 2005
Canal Fulton, Ohio
After dropping the motor back into my brother's car the one listed in my profile the headlights will go up automatically but will not go down. They will go down with ease when doing so manually. I even re lubricated all the hinges just in case. I have searched multiple threads already and I have already checked these items. What is nice is I have just purchased a 91 eagle talon TSI with working headlight motors So I have been able to check all of these items.

1. The Driver side Headlight motor switch is not the culprit. Switched all three on that side without change in symptoms. The switch is also not depressed or on we have tried a multitude of different combination even trying to depress the fog light etc.
2. Checked the fuses in car and in the engine bay.
3. Checked and swapped all the relays in the engine bay involving the headlight assembly/motor
4. When Probing the wiring harness on the car while pressing the headlight motor switch we get 12 volts on the LY or up terminal according to this wiring diagram.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=142344&d=1342753970
-What is interesting is when I probe this same connection on my car the 91 talon which the headlight assembly's work this pin will show 12 volts then will go back down to 0 as compared to the non working car which it will just show 12 volts and it will stay 12 volts until we depress the switch again. The LR on the non working car therefore do not show 12 volt when we try to press the headlight motor switch again.

I apologize for this being so long but I have been frustrated with this so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could be the switch on the dash shorting out where it won't allow the main headlight switch to engage the 'down' position. One side of that switch could be bad.

Take off the dash pod , unplug the connector from that switch and see if the headlight doors goes up and down with the main headlight switch on the turn signal ass'y. If so, then the switch is definitely shorted out on one side.

I will try this but I already swapped this with my other talons pod which does work. I have some other problem solving to do and I will get back to you tonight. I think the headlight notor resistor could be the culprit because according to the fsm that is what switches that voltage to 0 when the headlight reaches its top position. However I'm bad at reading these diagrams. Thank you for your help.

So after doing some more testing with a multi meter. I tested the continuity on the up circuit and the down circuit according to this headlight motor wiring diagram. In comparing the two talons the one with the working pop up lights has continuity on both the up and down circuits for the headlight pop up schematic. On the non working pop up light talon the up pins have continuity but the down pins do not have continuity. I am probing the pins on the wire harness the down power pins are pointed to via blue arrows in the schematic. I have outlined the potion of the diagram I am referring to. My conclusion is this is that there is something open in this circuit.

-The question is what could be open?
-It could just be a broken wire in the harness but is there anything else that could be causing this to be open?
-Does the diode in the passenger kick panel have something to do with this?
-Has anyone had a similar problem?
-Does this circuit outline pretty much run from the drivers side under the radiator and to the other headlight motor? Is that the correct direction the current is flowing from or is it from the passenger to the drivers side?

Please keep in mind I have checked and swapped the headlight motor relay, the passing control relay, the fuses under the hood and in the drivers side fuse box. Thanks again for any help at all.

Attachments

• Pop up headlight schematic down circuit.jpg
    Pop up headlight schematic down circuit.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:
Well after organizing some wires around in the engine bay we started the car back up and the headlights started going up and down again. Our best guess is that a connector somewhere was not all the way seated. I am unsure what caused the open connection on the previously mentioned pin but I would assume it connects into some other harness before entering the headlight connector. So if you are having the same issues I would try and disconnect and reconnect many of the connectors in the engine bay and around the headlight connectors. You may also check the drivers side wiring harness as others have mentioned this could also be the culprit. We are just happy that the lights are working again. :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back