The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g Wheels and Tires Size Questions [merged]fit fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdst29

Probationary Member
Apr 29, 2002
Pennsylvania
All 1g wheel and tire size questions from the newbie sections are merged here.

hi,
i am interested in putting 18" motegi MR-7 wheels on my 1991 plymouth laser. my only problem is i do not know if they will fit in the wheel well with tires. if anyone out there has 18" wheels on their laser....please let me know so and also tell me what size tire you have on the wheel. i would also like to know how snugly they fit in the wheel well. if 18's dont fit i guess i will have to go for 17 inch wheels. what is a good size tire that would fit a 17" wheel?

thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me

jerome

I'm thinking about buying a 98 white spyder and I was wondering will 1g rims fit 2g cars? the reason I'm asking is that I want to keep my wheels off my 1G. Also any ever bought a car of ebay is this risky? Any imput would be great. P:S my bid is $7050 for a 98 gs. 86k.

I bought mine off of eBay. Michigan to New Jersey and back, 29 hours. 1700 miles.

I paid 2000 for it. I got the guys phone number and called before placing the bid also. And ask a lot of questions. Then have your friend call and ask more questions saying he is from somewhere else. Stuff like that....

I just bought my GST off ebay. I think I was lucky I had an honest seller to deal with. I'm in Japan right now, and he's in Brazil, and the car in Florida. Needless to say, it was a pain and took 6 weeks to close, but the guy was very communicative and it worked out. Just make sure you have the car inspected thoroughly...we discovered minor issues even he wasn't aware of at the time.

ROW

Wondering if it's possible to fit a 19x8 rim with a 245/30 tire up front and a 19x10 rim with a 275/30 tire in the rear.

This is on a 1G AWD. I'm guessing I'll have to roll the fenders at the least.

that's just rediculous. 8 inches in the front and 10 in the rear? why on earth would you want to do that.. do you have a supra?..

and on top of that .. 19's on a 1g!! wow. pretty spacy idea but yea.. i'm sure 10 inches wouldn't fit... spacers maybe?

And be ready to play hell on your center diff. Go with the same size wheel and tire all the way around. If you want staggered fitments, buy a RWD car.

I got a set of gsx 17/s and what size to use?
rim is 17x6.8 i think.

215 45 17????

ive been thinking about getting 18 inch rims for a while now and i was wondering what kinda tires would i need so that the car doesnt look like a monster truck? i know ill need some sort of low profile tires, but what size would be good? also, will the difference between a 17 inch rim and an 18 inch rim be very different so far as comfort is concerned? i think im only going to use the 18s for the summer time, so i am not too concerned about pot holes, but i do plan on racing this car as well as having it at a few car shows. can anyone offer any advice? ive already searched the forums and i couldnt figure out what to do.

btw, a picture of the rims im thinking of getting are attached... i think they are basically the same as the ones from the lancer in 2f2f, except in gun metal, and i thought those rims were hot.

Attachments

• ff5gm.gif
    ff5gm.gif
    85.6 KB · Views: 429
It's not just wheel diameter and tire size, it's also width and most importantly OFFSET. On 1G DSM's you get the wrong offset and your tires will rub against the strut. I still got stock suspension and I'm sporting 18x7 +45mm offset tires are 225-40-18. Fits just right and my speedo is more accurate than with the stock 16's. :thumb:

Originally posted by TSi92
It's not just wheel diameter and tire size, it's also width and most importantly OFFSET. On 1G DSM's you get the wrong offset and your tires will rub against the strut. I still got stock suspension and I'm sporting 18x7 +45mm offset tires are 225-40-18. Fits just right and my speedo is more accurate than with the stock 16's. :thumb:

oh, good point. well is there a list of the standard off sets, sizes, and so forth somewhere that i can see? what kinda offset would i need for 18x7.5?

Groomz that helped me out a lot, I guess its just a matter of me deciding what I want. The thing I am tryin to avoid is gettin some nice show rims and then some good tires for my stock rims and have a double expense. I just wanted the wide tire because I thought a wider tire was good. But it looks like I might just have to get show rims with descent tires and then just goood tires for my stock rims...

Also another question for the 18s...how would they be good on the street with those size tires you mention. From either highway pulls or from a stop? Thanks for the feedback! :thumb:

I own a 91' Eclipse GSX, I bought a set of 5x114.3 18" wheels that are 8" wide and have a 45mm offset. My first thought was 225/40-18's but have been questioning whether they will contact the struts ( due to the offset ) and I'm now confused whether these will in fact work or not. So much for a good deal? My other thought is 215/35-18's? Thanks for any info... Jeff

I have 225/40/18 on mine and they don't rub but I think my offset is 40mm. If you are buying your tires from a local tire store you could ask them to test fit one on the left front then you will know for sure. If you are buying them off the internet then I don't know.

I bought a used 1g talon, but it came with wheels with mitsu center caps on it, and they don't look like the wheels in pictures of stock 1g's (they have a curved spoke swirl). The strange part was when my girlfriend measured them and said they were 17". I thought that stock wheels were all 16". Is this measurement off, or how can i tell what size my wheels really are. thanks
-Jon

Originally posted by eclipsed95
Unless they're 2G GSX wheels, they should be 16's.

I think the 2Ga eclipse/talon came with 16" swirlies, even on the GSX/AWD models.

It tells you the size of the rim on the tire bro. It will read something like 215/55/16. The 16 means its a 16 inch rim. If it says 17 for example, then its 17 inch rim.

I hope this is what you are talking about...

Thanks for the help, they're the wheels on the blue car in the picture, so i guess they're 16. I needed to know so i could buy tires...(yea the car came without tires...but it didn't have brakes or front bumper either)
-Jon

The strange part was when my girlfriend measured them and said they were 17".

If you measure the part of the wheel you can see when the tire is mounted, it is about 17" for a 16" wheel. To get 16", you have to measure the distances between the inside lip where the tire actually sits.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back