The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1g Wheels and Tires Size Questions [merged]fit fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdst29

Probationary Member
Apr 29, 2002
Pennsylvania
All 1g wheel and tire size questions from the newbie sections are merged here.

hi,
i am interested in putting 18" motegi MR-7 wheels on my 1991 plymouth laser. my only problem is i do not know if they will fit in the wheel well with tires. if anyone out there has 18" wheels on their laser....please let me know so and also tell me what size tire you have on the wheel. i would also like to know how snugly they fit in the wheel well. if 18's dont fit i guess i will have to go for 17 inch wheels. what is a good size tire that would fit a 17" wheel?

thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me

jerome

I want to order tires online for stock aluminum wheels(swirly ones?:confused: ). What size should i go with? Looking for low profile tires by the way.

i would actually buy 205's man...

I am getting a full set of 205/55WR16 Yokohama AVS ES100... clean ride on my friends WRX.

:confused: I went to Town fair tire and the guy said if i get 17" rims then i should go with 245/45 R17 for a tire size. Is this to large??? I looked and tires that i have on the stock rims are 225/45

alright so my question is what is the best size tire to put on a 16 inch rim? i know the stock size is 205/55/r16 but is that the best size to go with or is there one better? the tire im prolly getting is going to be falken ziex and the size of my american racing wheels are 16's

there 7 inches wide i think.... and i also have another question.... what exactly do the numbers mean, i mean besides the 16 i know that is the tire diameter but what do the other numbers represent ( in easy to understand terms)

the first set-a 225 will be wider than a 215
second numbers-the smaller the number the less distance from rim to tread=better handeling i.e 225-50 will be wider and the over all diameter will be less(not much)than a 215-55

LOL i dont get it.... maybe im just stupid when it comes to tires... so basically then tell me how a 205/55/16 tire is different then a 225/50/16 tire you mentioned one had a larger diameter but there both 16 inches and how can one be wider if there both 7 inches made for a 7 inch rim???

Originally posted by XxXEcLiPsE93
LOL i dont get it.... maybe im just stupid when it comes to tires... so basically then tell me how a 205/55/16 tire is different then a 225/50/16 tire you mentioned one had a larger diameter but there both 16 inches and how can one be wider if there both 7 inches made for a 7 inch rim???

205 is the width, 55 is the sidewall height, 16 is the rim size. If you go 225/50/16 it will be wider, but shorter sidewall.

wait i think i got it after some minor research LOL... ok so now the second number say for instance the 50 as opposed to a 55 means that the "height" distance from the edge of the rim to where the tread actually starts on the tire is less so that means that the tire will handle better because there is less distance from the rim to where the tire bites the pavement so the "meat" of the tire will seem thinner... ok i think i got that part(correct me if im wrong) but what im not too sure about is the first number... so if a 225 is "wider" than a 215 that means that the width of the tire as a whole is wider? See i dont get that part cause if both tires are made for a 7 inch width rim then how can one be at all wider than the other?

225 is wider than 215, 205, etc. As long as they use the same rim size (16), it will work. You don't want to go alot wider than stock unless your rims are wider than stock, because it will give alot of flex. I say no wider than 225 for stock 16's.

ok so i guess i got it now so basically
wider tires = better handling
and
less sidewall hieght = better handling

and you can go wider than 205 but you shouldnt go wider than 225 cause then theyll flex (not sure what that means)... so then basically the best handling tires are the 225/50/16 for a 16 inch rim with a 7 inch width then am i correct?

225/50 R16 is probably the best size for our cars. You can put 225s on the stock rims, but they are going to hang over the sides of the rim a little. Wider does not always mean better handling, you have to make sure your rim is wide enough to handle the tire otherwise if the sidewall isn't strong enough, the tire will roll on the rim if you corner too hard and come right off. I think the stock rims are only 6.5" wide but I'm not sure. I have 225s on my 7.5" wide rims and they still stick out over the rim. The bonus to this is that I'll probably never curb a rim unless I slam into one.

If you're only putting tires on the stock rims, I would just go with stock sizing. Wait till you get some wider rims to deal with wider tires.

Here are the details of the 205, 215, etc numbers.

195 is designed for a 6.5" wide rim.
205 is designed for a 7".
215 is designed for a 7.5".
225 is designed for a 8".

Those are for normal applications. Not performance applications. When you are running large wheels (16" and up) you have a smaller "profile" tire, so you want more "grip" with it. That is why you buy aftermarket wheels/tires, anyway, isn't it? Better traction/performance??

Most people go with the "PLUS 2" idea. An example of this is:

You have a 17x7" rim. Normally, you would buy a 205/45/R17 tire. When you are looking for more performance, you increase the width of the tire, going with one or two sizes wider. Like a 225, in this case. A 225 is designed for an 8" wide rim, but you will get better traction and cornering stability with it on a 7" wide rim as opposed to the 8" one. This is known as Plus Sizing. When you plus size tires, you put wider tires on your rims than the actual width of the rim itself.

Don't exceed more than a PLUS 3 (going 3 sizes up) and you will be fine.

I wrote a page or 2 long essay about this once on here somewhere, but I dont feel like finding it all right now.

If you have any questions about it, I'll help you out. Hopefully you can understand all of what I said. :thumb:

Later.

alright well right now my tires are 205/55/16 and they arnt on stock rims they are on american racing 16 inch rims.... BUT im not completly sure about the rim width and i dont feel like taking the tires off just to check that and i tried measuring it but the tire gets in the way and im not sure its completly accurate... SO i was also looking at tire prices and regardless the falken 225/50/16 is way too expensive so i was thinking and looking and i want to get the 205/50/16 tires.... so will this work with my existing rim since the tires on now are 205/55's and will it be an improvment to the 55 side height in terms of traction and handling or should i just stick with the 55 height... basically should i go with the 205/55 or the 205/50... which is better or will it not really matter?

There's nothing wrong with the stock size 205/55/16. 205 is plenty wide for traction since you've got AWD. If you were to go with a shorter sidewall like 50, it would look really funny unless your car is lowered.

I'm going to go with 215/55/16 for my next set of tires. I've never had any traction issues with my current 205's, but wider tires always look better.

225 = width in millimeters.

50 = apect ratio, this means the sidewall is this percentage of the width, in this case the sidewall is 112.5 millimeters.

16 = the diameter of your rim.

total over all rim and tire = 2 * sidewall + rim = 24.86 inches

another example using your current tire,
205 = width in millimeter.

55 = apect ratio, 112.75 millimeters.

16 = rim diameter.

total over all rim and tire = 2 * sidewall + rim = 24.88 inches

these tires are almost the identical overall height, if you want wider go with the 225, either size is fine. I personally went with 225/50/16 on my stock rim.

Originally posted by 90LaserTurbo89k
Here are the details of the 205, 215, etc numbers.

195 is designed for a 6.5" wide rim.
205 is designed for a 7".
215 is designed for a 7.5".
225 is designed for a 8".

This varies from tire to tire and different aspect ratio's. For example I have 225/50/16 Yokohama AVS ES 100, they spec tthis tire for rim width of 6"-8".
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=AVS+ES100

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back