The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G tubular control arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FYI - These arms fit the Evo1-3 and are EXTREMELY similar to the 1g lca's. They're made in New Zealand by Racefab. They cost mucho $$$ but they are designed properly. If you are serious about road racing or autocross then these are the arms for you.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

For more pics check out their webpage: RaceFab New Zealand

Pete

Not only that but something like that can be made extremely simple with a proper jig.. If that cost more than a few hundred it'd be over priced..

I just got a PM from member coltsleeper4g63. These are the arms he made for himself and he wanted me to share them in this thread.

These are 1" DOM tubing .120wall 3.5lbs lighter per side.

Attachments

• dsc00191g.jpg
    dsc00191g.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 321
  • dsc00190qq.jpg
    dsc00190qq.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 292
  • dsc00193d.jpg
    dsc00193d.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 383
^^Those arms look pretty good^^

For anyone that cares about proper design, eliminating compliance from the LCA's, adjusting caster the right way, adjusting roll center using interchangable ball joints, and widening track width properly then these arms are for them. Even if these arms did weigh slightly more than other arms (waiting on response about weight), the benefits of these arms FAR outweigh the bad.

I agree that something like this can be made with a simple jig BUT NOBODY HAS DONE IT! Thats what this thread is about. The original arms offered NO adjustability, used OEM balljoints, and was poorly designed. The design and fabrication of these arms is FAR superior. Heim jointed pickup points and interchangable ball joints?!?! This is what 1g road racers and auto-xers have been asking for!

- These arms give you the oppurtunity to adjust caster PROPERLY. 1g's suffer from a lack of positive caster and the ability to add caster is something any 1g could benefit from.
- Interchangable ball joints are hard to come by in the dsm world. First, you have to locate all the supplies you need then you have to fabricate them into your OEM LCA's. While this isn't the most difficult thing to do for some, it is out of the realm of possibilities for most. Anyone could buy these arms.
- By adjusting both heim joints you can also adjust track width without the issues of running large wheel spacers. This allows you to run wider wheels while minimizing the change in scrub radius from stock. This keeps the steering effort down and makes the car easier to drive at the limit. This also alleviates many of the extreme forces faced by the power steering system. Ask any dsm road racer/auto-xer about power steering issues...
-Due to the use of Heim joints, compliance is basically elimated from the LCA. For a road racer or auto-xer this is of the utmost importance because it keeps your alignment true under all conditions, not just straight line.

I think the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

No doubt that they're a great design, and fully functional. But also keep in mind that not every single person that wants a set of tubular control arms is interested in road racing and auto-x. There's definitely a demand for both; a fully adjustable arm set like what RaceFab offers, as well as a simple, lightweight drag racing arm set with no bells and whistles. I just figured this was worth noting, because we have pictures and discussions taking place here about two entirely different designs for two entirely different applications, and comparing them is like apples to oranges.

I couldn't agree more :)

That could be quite a bit of shear load put through that one heims end. I'd hope the radial load rating of the heims end exceeds 10K

I'm not sure which heims anyone is using, but your cheap, general purpose, 2-pc economy rod ends would probably be plenty strong in a drag application at least. A higher-end heim might be better suited in a road race or auto-x car though. Specs from Aurora:

Economy 5/8: 9713 lb radial load capacity
Economy 3.4: 14207 lb radial loadcapacity

3-pc 4130 5/8: 17955 lb radial load capacity
3-pc 4130 3/4: 28081 lb radial load capacity

Shear load limit is 20% of the radial. A typical car can see 1G (1xcar weight) of loading during braking which is translated into a shear force running through mounts points (heims end) on the front end. Assuming 100% weight transfer to the front and dividing it by 2 to get each side, you are looking at a minimum of 15,500 radial load rated heims end for a bone stock awd (assumed weight 3100 lbs)

Point: Don't skimp on the heims end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found an expensive alternative.
Tubular Control Arms Mitsubishi EVO 5-6 - PeeBee Motorsport
EXTREMELY lightweight. Provisions for roll center adjustments, sway bar mounts, spherical bearings and bumpsteer spacers. They use only top notch materials. I would be willing to send my arms out for them to make prototypes. Cost drops to $1150/set if we can get 5 buyers. I'm doing this no matter what...who wants to jump on the bandwagon?

^^^ Those look great. But they sure don't look any lighter than the OE arms.

I am pretty sure they are 25 millions times stronger than that pile of shit stamped steel control arm. Weight won't hurt even if it's a lb heavier its the lowest thing on the car.

Also I doubt anyone will be buying that its.

$1100nz plus freight.

Out of the two designs above the race fab LCA is by far stronger than that curved tubing.

Really things like control arm parts are better in 4340 thin tubing because they can be heat treated there is vat info on those sand runner forums since they build suspension for their rigs they also sell some good product ( special 4340 HT rod ends etc).

2.2 kgs is pretty damn light. And I'm in the camp of people that want to spend the extra money for something that is well engineered and will last a long time. Everything they do is CNC laser cut, tig welded and again the finest quality I've seen yet. I may be alone and if so I will splurge for these but wanted to extend the discount to other crazies like me who will actually shell out this kind of dough that will improve unsprung weight and solve the roll center issue.

Holland's Performance here in spokane made these for his race car

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back