The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 1g torque converters and trans upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian9397gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 28, 2008
sioux city, Iowa
Alright I have my auto trans on the stand. Im having a hard time tossing it in all stock with my built motor and Im wondering what alot of you guys suggest I should do before tossing it in.

What I have is a built 6bolt 2g head evo3 intake gsc s2 cams.
Turbo tdo5 20g in a 7cm housing externally gated off the manifold not that that matters.
Ecm link
I have an hy35 and erl t3 that will go in in the future.
For trans control i have the stock tcm then after i have everything sorted ive got a smart 100 tcm that ill be installing.

The thing im wondering is id like to future proof this thing since its a pita to get in and out off the car. Previously the car was a manual im used to removing that but man this auto is friggin heavy.

The trans was rebuilt before i received it ive pulled the pans and covers everything looks good.
But im thinking about a shift kit, possibly the kiggly clutch upgrade either the 5 or 6 that uses the stock basket. Then the big question is torque converter. Ive emailed sinister and ipt. Im looking for some other thoughts from others who have been here before.
The main goals for the car is weekend toy that i can take to the track without trailering. The whole car is new nothing hasnt been fixed replaced or restored nothing has been spared on this turd. I want to enjoy it when im done not fix it all the time ive had it 15yrs.
My background is im a 15yr master auto technician so taring into a trans will not be an issue im just wondering for my current goals if itll be worth while.

I would do the shift kit and kiggly clutch upgrade for sure.

The Sinister 8" core 2 converter would work well with your setup. Don't bother with a stock re stall converter unless you plan on using nitrous.

Ive gotten an email back from mike at sinister. He recommends the spoolinator. He claims only 3% slip at couple. At 950 it seems like alot im just curious if theres anyone with personal experience with this that could chime in.
Theres alot of old threads and i know that theyve made updates some im curious of some more current information. I dont really want something thats going to ruin drivability of the car as its not a dedicated track car.

Ive gotten an email back from mike at sinister. He recommends the spoolinator. He claims only 3% slip at couple. At 950 it seems like alot im just curious if theres anyone with personal experience with this that could chime in.
Theres alot of old threads and i know that theyve made updates some im curious of some more current information. I dont really want something thats going to ruin drivability of the car as its not a dedicated track car.

I drive mine on the sinister all the time without any issues. it literally drives like stock LOL. but just like scott suggested kiggly front clutches and a shift kit would do well for you along with that converter. scott and I both run that converter.

Yeah thats about what i was figuring. Ipt just got back to me they quoted me 469. Sounds like a deal but im wondering which would be the better option. I thought ipt stopped doing 1g converters but i figured id email them just in case.
depends on your tuner. I can get on the two step on mine w/o nitrous to 4100rpm in about 7seconds. but I have tuning done in the stall area.

Yeah thats about what i was figuring. Ipt just got back to me they quoted me 469. Sounds like a deal but im wondering which would be the better option. I thought ipt stopped doing 1g converters but i figured id email them just in case.
with the ipt prepare to use nitrous.. every one ive seen has had to use nitrous to stall.

Alright then thanks for the input. Ill avoid the ipt. Just covering my base s want to get the right combo without wasting money.

I run the draginator converter and I can get up on the 2step antilag and hit 20psi in just over 3 seconds. I definitely recommend getting a sinister converter.

Sinister 8” core 2 is the best option for up to a 62mm turbo without breaking the bank. Best bang for the buck as far as converters go...

Should you want to upgrade to a 62-67mm turbo you can add a simple 35-50 shot and be up on the converter in seconds.

Sinister 8” core 2 is the best option for up to a 62mm turbo without breaking the bank. Best bang for the buck as far as converters go...

Should you want to upgrade to a 62-67mm turbo you can add a simple 35-50 shot and be up on the converter in seconds.
the 8" is good for 64mm and smaller turbos

My stock 1g converter will stall to 3100 on brakes, takes about 8-10 seconds tho. I think I have built 11 psi before I can't hold on to her anymore. Been awhile since I stood on her, but I am currently tuning my 1120's in it (with stock auto cams....) and will do a test soon to see.

Also see post #8 for info on your IPT converter :)

My stock 1g converter will stall to 3100 on brakes, takes about 8-10 seconds tho. I think I have built 11 psi before I can't hold on to her anymore. Been awhile since I stood on her, but I am currently tuning my 1120's in it (with stock auto cams....) and will do a test soon to see.

Also see post #8 for info on your IPT converter :)

Yea I spray my car, that's the only way to get it on 2 step. Looking at other converter options. Jeff Bush or Sinister.

Dry or wet and if dry do you enrichen with link? Just wanted to know in case I get that far.
Thanks, not trying to derail this thread.

Dry or wet and if dry do you enrichen with link? Just wanted to know in case I get that far.
Thanks, not trying to derail this thread.

I now use a dry shot, car is on AEM. DSMLINK (used a wet shot) lets you use an output to have a n2o controller, you can use link to spray at a certain rpm. It's very simple to setup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back