The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Talon or 2G Eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

97' GS-T

Banned Member
Jun 8, 2006
Hesperia, California
I know I told you guys I already bought the GS, It was only for clearing up purposes not to lie. I just wanted to talk about modding it without the discussion of wait til you get the car.

Well, I am at the break point.

Heres my problem.

1G Talon -Pros-

6- Bolt engine = No crank walk
I can get the TSI Turbo AWD for the same price as the N-T GS.
I love the steering wheel :D
I love how the headlights come UP in the 90 version.

1G Talon -Cons-
I HATE the rear end compared to the rear end on the 2G Eclipse.
Older so more miles and tore up
Not my favorite style Nor looking car
Have already owned one in the past

2G Eclipse - Pros -
ABSOLUTLY BEAUTIFUL LOOKS. FRONT END REAR REAR REAR END AMAZINGLY AWESOME
I LOVE the body shape and style my absolute favorite looking car ever.
Newer so less miles and less tore up.
Way better looking in my opinion

2G Eclipse - Cons -
7 Bolt engine so more prone to crank walk
Non turbo, and CANT afford the GSX so GS only Meaning much slower
Steering wheel basic and boring LOL :boring:

What do I DO? I can buy a eagle talon Turbo AWD For 3,000 with 150,000 miles or I can buy a non turbo 2WD 2G eclipse for 3,000 with 90,000 miles on it. Also, which talon year is the best? Any thing different in the years? What do you guys think. :) :dsm: :talon: ??

I'd go with the 1g and do all the proper maintenence. I beleive you can do a 2g front and rear conversion?

dsmmayhem said:
I'd go with the 1g and do all the proper maintenence. I beleive you can do a 2g front and rear conversion?

Can you explain that a little more?WTF

umm fyi...2gnt's are not classified as 6/7 bolt, and we're not prone to cough cough crankwalk ;)

Re-time
Water Pump
Timing Belt tensioner
plugs/wires
compression check
leak down
check for boost leaks
all that good stuff

i'm pretty sure all of the body peices are interchangable(front/rear bumper,tail lights etc.) except for the hood because of the flip up headlights, and the 1g and 2g hatch design is a little different.

So if you like the 2g look then do the conversion, and you will have the best of both worlds.

Crankwalk/7 bolt started in the 3rd gens.

Also dont assume you have a 6bolt just because it a 1g 92.5 and up have 7bolts. Crank walk sure does scare people. Its like going around and thinking every hot chick is going to get aids.

dsmmayhem said:
Re-time
Water Pump
Timing Belt tensioner
plugs/wires
compression check
leak down
check for boost leaks
all that good stuff

i'm pretty sure all of the body peices are interchangable except for the hood because of the flip up headlights, and the 1g and 2g hatch design is a little different.

So if you like the 2g look then do the conversion, and you will have the best of both worlds.

I have never heard of that. The body on 2gs and 1gs are very different and I its not as easy as swapping bumpers and hoods.

No matter what car you buy, you better be ready to perform preventative maintenance...otherwise even a brand new corvette off the showroom floor wouldn't last :roll:

Now before I take a nice chug of my hater-ade...I like the 1g's as well, can be made very quick for cheap, and the aftermarket parts selection for the 4g63 is plentiful.

As for the 2gnt...I love my car and wouldn't sell it even if I found an awesome deal on a 1g awd. For the money I've put in my car, I have still spent less than if I got a 2g turbo model, and definitely don't pay for it on the insurance bill. Sure I had to do a lot of work to get where I am, but no simple modded 4g63 will walk all over me anymore. Plus I got the sexy body style :p The entire process of turboing the 420a along with many other endeavours I've come across have helped me learn more about my car and others in general in more ways than I could have ever imagined possible for me :thumb:

The choice is yours young skywalker :spam:

dsmmayhem said:
blah blah blah
i'm pretty sure all of the body peices are interchangable except for the hood because of the flip up headlights, and the 1g and 2g hatch design is a little different.

Are you kidding me WTF

I'm not even gonna get into the whole chop shop of trading body panels. Crankwalk started in the 3rd gens huh....as in the 2Fast2Furious Tyrese 3rd gens, or are you just a tad bit confused on your generations and the evolution of the dsm :toobad:

nevermind

i was thinking of it differently, sorry

1g- flip up headlights
2g-no flip up headlights
3g- rounded body as in fast and the furious 1

DSMMAYHEM, you cannot convert a 1g to a 2g, the body parts are not interchangeable. Also, your info on the C word not starting until the 3g's??? Are you kidding??? 92.5-99 had 7 bolts, this means EVERY 2g that rolled out of Normal Ill. had a 7 bolt.

Crankwalk is overrated, period. It's always in the back of every 2g turbo owners mind (minus those who did the 6 bolt swap) But I mean you could be hit by a meteor too, doesnt mean it will happen.

2gnt's had Chrysler motors in them, the 420A, so again, they arent classified as 6 or 7 bolts, because theyre completely different.

The pop up headlights were on 90 and 91 dsms, not sure about those pre 92.5 92's (that confuse anyone). The 90's had some parts that werent comaptible with the 91-94s, so if i was looking for a 1g, I'd be trying to find a 91, because of the 6 bolt, and I too love the pop-ups.

PLEASE DONT EVER DECIDE BETWEEN TWO CARS BECAUSE THE STEERING WHEEL IS DIFFERENT!!!!!

All in all though, I wouldnt get another NT unless it was strictly for gas milage purposes. I'd go 1g awd all the way, because 1g's are the hawtness, and well awd owns.

1ga - flip up lights 90-91
1gb - fixed lights 92-94
2g - round body 95-99

dsmmayhem said:
nevermind

i was thinking of it differently, sorry

1g- flip up headlights
2g-no flip up headlights
3g- rounded body as in fast and the furious 1

maybe you should "refresh" yourself on which generation is which.
Dont bring up that movie around here, and FYI, that was a 2g. the 3### was in the second movie:beatentodeath:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/sub.php?page=modelguide

sorry
i feel dumb now
im new to the forums and didnt really catch on to the 1ga and 1gb.

so if i have a 93 talon es it was a 7 bolt?

if you read xmasta's post above mine he refered to the movie first, so i did also.

Oh ok, sorry about the confusion, I have a 93 es, but i swapped a 91 tsi longblock into it.

yup...I referred to the movie LOL.

I own a 420a so it's all good, I'm allowed to :p

I'm glad you finally came to your senses and realized I was right and you were being dumb ahahahahhahahah LOL j/k

FYI:
95-96's - 2ga
97-99's - 2gb

unibody is t3h hawtness, and fwd pwns drivetrain loss on the highway :rocks:

/rant ... back to the 420a forum hehe

97' GS-T said:
I know I told you guys I already bought the GS, It was only for clearing up purposes not to lie. I just wanted to talk about modding it without the discussion of wait til you get the car.

Well, I am at the break point.

Heres my problem.

1G Talon -Pros-

6- Bolt engine = No crank walk
I can get the TSI Turbo AWD for the same price as the N-T GS.
I love the steering wheel :D
I love how the headlights come UP in the 90 version.

1G Talon -Cons-
I HATE the rear end compared to the rear end on the 2G Eclipse.
Older so more miles and tore up
Not my favorite style Nor looking car
Have already owned one in the past

2G Eclipse - Pros -
ABSOLUTLY BEAUTIFUL LOOKS. FRONT END REAR REAR REAR END AMAZINGLY AWESOME
I LOVE the body shape and style my absolute favorite looking car ever.
Newer so less miles and less tore up.
Way better looking in my opinion

2G Eclipse - Cons -
7 Bolt engine so more prone to crank walk
Non turbo, and CANT afford the GSX so GS only Meaning much slower
Steering wheel basic and boring LOL :boring:

What do I DO? I can buy a eagle talon Turbo AWD For 3,000 with 150,000 miles or I can buy a non turbo 2WD 2G eclipse for 3,000 with 90,000 miles on it. Also, which talon year is the best? Any thing different in the years? What do you guys think. :) :dsm: :talon: ??

Lets get back on track. Are you going with with the 1g turbo?

Go NT and you'll regret it. Maybe not now, but soon, and for the rest of your life.

reliability = 2GNT (in part because the car is just newer)
speed = 1G turbo

my 1G was a maintainance nightmare... every week some kind of part went bad. I barely got to drive it. I absolutely do not regret going the 2GNT route and would avoid 1G's of any kind... though I'd still get a 2G turbo if the price was right.

97' GS-T said:

The old addage comes to mind about opinions. You will ultimately be driving, maintaining, insuring and paying for the car, so it's really up to you to decide which of these completely different (yet similarly named) cars you would be happiest with.

I've really enjoyed my 1G AWD having trekked thru snow (Vermont), sand (Florida) and VHT (local drags :D ). Other than failures due to performance enhancements, has been a pretty reliable car, and beign well-maintained (by me) still is after 16years ownership ;) :dsm:

I need to just venture back into my forum because apparently this place is dominated by 4g owners :sosad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back