The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1g talon boost problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattius

Probationary Member
Oct 29, 2014
Ottawa, ON_Canada
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and this is my first turbo car. It's a 1990 eagle talon tsi awd turbo. I picked it up today and when I was driving it home I noticed when I would hit boost it would go to 20psi and if I didn't let off it would fuel cut I think. It came with a turbo smart bov but I'm pretty sure it has no mbc. It's a stock turbo. There is also a "T" with some brass fittings and has a cylender that says turbonetics but there is no dial and the person who sold me it said it don't have a mbc. I'm very confused! The other mods on it are, cast header, 2.5" exhaust all the way, stage 3 clutch, oil pressure,air fuel, and boost gauges

Last edited:
Welcome! There are so many ways you can find out your problem, the search will help but lets see, when you say "fuel cut I think" can u describe what's happening?

What's the wastegate setup on the turbo? Is it spiking to 20psi or actually holding there? Pics would help a lot bro! And take some time to learn your car and what's in it! To many 20psi hits and fuel cuts and things could start to get mad at you! The t with the brass fittings is prob a HDR mdc LOL. Let me see a pic please?

Holds 20 psi for a bit but if I hold it to the floor for it cuts out after like 3 seconds. Feels really weird but no odd noises.[DOUBLEPOST=1414613746][/DOUBLEPOST]Also what would be a normal oil pressure reading?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I have the same problem, but right now im having a bigger prblem with mine so im in it for the outcome[DOUBLEPOST=1414614731][/DOUBLEPOST]I have mine turned down to 15 psi right now and it doesnt surge like that anymore, would love to get a wisemans help with this, ive read the best way to connect the mbc, (looks like how mine looks in ur pic) is to go from the j pipe to the bottom nipple on the bc and from the side nipple to the wga, no t fittings running to the bov[DOUBLEPOST=1414615104][/DOUBLEPOST]The stock oil pressure guages on the cars are not to be trusted, at curb idle speed oil pressure spec according to the manual is 11.4 psi or more

Last edited:
First thing is you should connect the wastegate actuator directly to some boost source. Circumvent that brass fitting entirely and plug up all the hoses. That should get you back to stock boost levels. Then if that works, replace that thing with a proper boost controller

(Im assuming that brass piece is hooked up to your wastegate, although i cant really tell)

I see Home Depot mbc!! Why not just turn boost down bro? And nothing wrong with the HDR mbc I've been using mine I made for years now and no issues at all! My gvr4 boost 17-18psi solid with no issues! Either take everything out and run stock boost or learn how it works bro! Also you need a bov that can be recirculated properly like stock! And replace all those dumb worn gear clamps with proper t-bolt clamps. I bet you eliminate some leaks and make the engine bay look a lot better!

Last edited:
You clearly have no idea what you are doing. Don't run anything over stock boost with out knowing what you are doing. No matter what any dumb shit tells you, it is NOT safe AT ALL to turn up the boost to ANY level past stock boost unless you have AT LEAST a way to data log and check for knock.

If I were you I'd run wastegate pressure since it's the easiest. Run a vacuum line from the wastegate nipple to the nipple on the J-pipe coming off the turbo. Once you know what you are doing and have the supporting mods to do it, then turn up the boost.

The biggest problem you have right now is you have a modified car you know nothing about. I can't clearly see where the routed the boost controller to, but it clearly has one. One thing you will notice is you don't have the stock J-pipe anymore and it looks as though yours does not have a nipple on it. Which isn't a problem just drill a hole in it and put in a barb fitting. Just make sure you find one that is roughly the same size as the opening on your wastegate.

The very last thing you want or need right now is a boost controller of any kind.

The top part of the mbc screws out bro! If you give me a better pic of the top I can help you more! But I would honestly just take it off and run wastegate pressure! Atleast so you can see how the car runs on stock boost! But it will always run like crap with the bov vta and not recirc like it's supposed to be. Almost looks hooked up backwards to me!

Last edited:
Yeah I'm gunna run stock for sure. I do have lots to learn I appreciate the comments. I didn't know much about the car I just knew they were kinda quick, traded my 03 saturn with 280,000 on it and 500 bucks for it. 144,000 on it. Not a bad deal everything works haha[DOUBLEPOST=1414628571][/DOUBLEPOST]Couple pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
You clearly have no idea what you are doing. Don't run anything over stock boost with out knowing what you are doing. No matter what any dumb sh** tells you, it is NOT safe AT ALL to turn up the boost to ANY level past stock boost unless you have AT LEAST a way to data log and check for knock.

Thats just not true. Theres no reason to try to scare anyone into the right way. You can turn up boost with everything else stock if you do it within reason.

What part of it are you thinking is the knob? The brass fitting on the right spins easily, the left side of the T is just a bolt plugging it and it doesn't budge I'll get another pic[DOUBLEPOST=1414637240][/DOUBLEPOST]What side?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
What part of it are you thinking is the knob? The brass fitting on the right spins easily, the left side of the T is just a bolt plugging it and it doesn't budge I'll get another pic[DOUBLEPOST=1414637240][/DOUBLEPOST]What side?
My bad, the black ring around the bolt made it look like a knob.[DOUBLEPOST=1414639214][/DOUBLEPOST]
My bad, the black ring around the bolt made it look like a knob.
Open up the T (the bolt)and see what kind of restriction is use.

Last edited:
Just screw the whole top part (bolt with black plastic washer) in or out that's how it works! It's what's pushing on the spring and ball inside. It's super simple bro. The other option is take it apart and get a new spring that isn't so stiff. Then put back together and adjust the whole top piece by threading in or out. That is your controller! Just have to start out more and do a pull and see what boost hits. If it's low tighten the top piece and it will raise boost! Just start by doing a half turn at a time and so a few pulls. Write down what boost is for 3-4 pulls and doing a half turn on the top part at a time. Then you will know how many turns it takes to get what boost. Make sense?
See how in this pic the black Allen bolt is used to push on the spring and ball. This this is what you use to adjust your boost! All the ball does is pinch off air going to the wastgate. The more you pinch (or tighten the bolt) the higher boost. It keeps that boost signal from getting to the wg and holds it closed longer! Make sense

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Yup got it figured out now! Just gunna keep it at 10 for now till I service everything and get it running mint. Then I'll start thinking about what's next! Thanks for the feedback

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back