The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Talon AWD Auto - 59k Original Miles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Car now has 62k miles on her. Still running fantastic as you would imagine a low mile DSM to drive. Idles perfectly, all gauges still work, never overheats in traffic, and starts first crank even after sitting in storage all winter. However, the car will now start it's journey to what some people might call OEM+. The stock exhaust manifold finally gave out and it developed a lovely crack. Could it have been my heavy foot? It's possible. Could it have been it's time to go after 32 years? Probably a combination of both. I included a picture of the manifold, you can tell it's seen better days. Obviously the only solution to this problem is a 14b swap.

I'm curious to see the spool time difference between the 13g and 14b. But I am also looking forward to finally having some top end power. The 13g is just a dog above 80mph.

Attachments

• image000000 (34).jpg
    image000000 (34).jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image000000 (37).jpg
    image000000 (37).jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 22
Spool difference is negligible but power is so much more noticeable. Especially turning the boost up. If you don't have a MBC, look into the freemods. Pull the restrictor out of the BCS, pull the "silencer" out from behind the sensor portion of the MAF(don't touch the MAF or the honeycomb itself, just the ringed silencer thats in the back of the can), and when you do get some kind of boost control rewire your fuel pump and run 16lbs. When you eventually go ECMLink, 21lbs on a 14B, on an AWD Auto 1G will run consistent 12s and is one of the most fun setups I have ever had. It was my first real AWD DSM waaaay back when I was like 18, and man was that a fun setup. No idea why they didn't come that way from the factory. 0-60 time was like, very low 4's thanks to the AWD Auto brake boosted launch when it was on 21lbs. Good times.

This thing is clean AF.

Spool difference is negligible but power is so much more noticeable. Especially turning the boost up. If you don't have a MBC, look into the freemods. Pull the restrictor out of the BCS, pull the "silencer" out from behind the sensor portion of the MAF(don't touch the MAF or the honeycomb itself, just the ringed silencer thats in the back of the can), and when you do get some kind of boost control rewire your fuel pump and run 16lbs. When you eventually go ECMLink, 21lbs on a 14B, on an AWD Auto 1G will run consistent 12s and is one of the most fun setups I have ever had. It was my first real AWD DSM waaaay back when I was like 18, and man was that a fun setup. No idea why they didn't come that way from the factory. 0-60 time was like, very low 4's thanks to the AWD Auto brake boosted launch when it was on 21lbs. Good times.

This thing is clean AF.
Car currently has manual ecu, BCS pill removed, MAF silencer removed, K&N air filter, and 3 inch downpipe with 3 inch cat delete connected to stock exhaust piping with muffler. It's running slightly more boost than stock due to the downpipe I believe. I always run 94 octane Sunoco whenever possible. Very fun for a 13g right now. I plan on running about 12psi on the 14b until I can get ecmlink + more supporting fuel mods and tuned properly. Swap should be completed in the next few weeks and I'll let everybody know how it feels after.

Currently have the following parts waiting on installation:
14b turbo
2g ported manifold
450cc injectors
Boost Controller
Boost Gauge
New bolts/gaskets

Car currently has manual ecu, BCS pill removed, MAF silencer removed, K&N air filter, and 3 inch downpipe with 3 inch cat delete connected to stock exhaust piping with muffler. It's running slightly more boost than stock due to the downpipe I believe. I always run 94 octane Sunoco whenever possible. Very fun for a 13g right now. I plan on running about 12psi on the 14b until I can get ecmlink + more supporting fuel mods and tuned properly. Swap should be completed in the next few weeks and I'll let everybody know how it feels after.

Currently have the following parts waiting on installation:
14b turbo
2g ported manifold
450cc injectors
Boost Controller
Boost Gauge
New bolts/gaskets

15lbs is perfectly safe on the stock ecu and stock map. The factory afr maps call for like 9.9:1 AFR in some spots and very low 10’s in almost all the boost parts of the map.

You’re not gonna make it go lean or hurt it. On the 13G it’s not gonna really make a huge difference but on the 14B trust me. Run 15lbs. You’ll love it.

Also: change the FPR to a manual one or an Afpr. The 1g auto FPR runs at like 43 base FPR instead of the 38psi that the m/t ones do. You’ll run even more rich if you don’t with the 450s in there.

Also: change the FPR to a manual one or an Afpr. The 1g auto FPR runs at like 43 base FPR instead of the 38psi that the m/t ones do. You’ll run even more rich if you don’t with the 450s in there.
Thanks, this is good information to know! I'll add it to the list of parts I need.

It trips me out how easy the factory went on the auto transmissions and now that’s what we are using to make big power.

That's probably why DSMers from back in the day thought they would explode at anything higher than stock factory levels. I remember guys back then would throw them away or almost give them to you in brand new condition because they swapped to a manual. Never have I felt so justified as I do in the modern DSM world how Autos finally get the recognition they deserve, because back in the early 00's I can remember guys telling me "that 16G is gonna destroy that auto trans" and "It's on borrowed time man, just manual swap it". Lol.

Really hope to see a renaissance happen with DSMs. Seeing all the modern tech for modern Hondas and how fast it makes them, makes me wonder what DSMs could be doing with that kind of attention and focus.

Some older pics from when I first did some cleaning. A little elbow grease goes a long way. 25 years of dirt and grime wiped away to reveal perfectly fine paint underneath. First picture shows a before and after result.

I had some some mildew growing on the rubber molding of the sidemarker lights. One tip for cleaning these easily and fast is to use blue painters tape. Apply tape to rubber and press firmly. Let it sit for an hour and then simply remove the tape. All the mildew will instantly come right off without any chemicals or cleaning products.

beforeafter1.jpg

0717171432_HDR.jpg

0717171421b_HDR.jpg

0626171547a_HDR.jpg

1024201615b_HDR.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back