The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved 1g no start just clicking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 31, 2005
chicago, Illinois
Hello guys,
So I have been resurrecting my 1g back to life everything has been going well until now. It wont start just clicks, just put a new battery and starter in it checked all fuses but nothing I'm lost. Can anyone help? I hear possibly a starter relay bit I don't know how to test it and where it is. Thanks for the input

Solution
Fixed!

Unplugged the clutch switch everything is good to go now, thanks every one.

The weird thing is it has an alarm and still was able to start without the clutch pushed in with the sensor still plugged in. Kinda threw me through a loop there.

Anyway, I guess don't ever assume is the lesson here LOL Thanks!
'New' batteries sometimes sit on the shelf for awhile and need a charge. Other than that it could be starter relay, starter solenoid, starter ground, clutch switch, starter power wire not hooked to battery, etc. Double check the simple stuff first and go from there.

Ok, battery was load tested fine. Cables are not loose, no corrosion at all. I have power inside just not to the starter. The ground is tight to the bell housing and the other to the top frame of the car. How can I test the ignition switch?

Sorry let me clarify, the starter just will click as if it doesn't have enough power to engage. Both the relays inside are clicking, the one by the stereo and the other by the kick panel? I don't think I've ever heard them click before.

I am pretty sure my clutch switch has been deactivated because I can start without using the clutch this all started before the new battery and starter

My battery died it was old so I replaced it with a new one car started everything was good for a couple days then nothing just a click. So then I replaced the starter since it was the original. Anyway thinking I'll be right back on track then same problem occurs.

I'm having the same issue... If I run a jumper wire from the ignition wire on the starter touch the + battery it will start.
Please let me know what you figure out so I can try it, I will do the same

I just had this exact issue on my 2g; starter would click away every time I turned the key. I redid my grounds by grinding away a pit of paint and exposed bare metal on the frame. That did the trick for me.
in addition to this put a small dab of grease over the grounding point to prevent rusting of the bare metal.

Fixed!

Unplugged the clutch switch everything is good to go now, thanks every one.

The weird thing is it has an alarm and still was able to start without the clutch pushed in with the sensor still plugged in. Kinda threw me through a loop there.

Anyway, I guess don't ever assume is the lesson here LOL Thanks!

Solution
Is the clutch switch the sensor nearest the firewall or nearest the driver? Also, can you just unplug the thing in order to bypass? I'm getting conflicting info.

Last edited:
It's the one by the fire wall

Also check your signal wire it's a plug on the starter. I saw that mine was a little corroded also so I cleaned that up to ensure no other issues

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back