The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g ISC Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tec_41

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2008
West Bend, Wisconsin
I'm working on figuring out a wiring mess on a 92 TSi AWD. From what I can tell, there's a bunch of 90 stuff swapped in here - ECU, Engine Harness, coil pack, etc. The driver chip in my ECU fried so I figured it'd be smart to replace the ISC with a newer one. However, the install was not exactly a breeze. I had to take the throttle body completely off to access it, and the new one looks a little different. The original ISC had a pigtail coming off of it with a connector, where this one has the plug built right into it. From what I'm reading the only ones with a pigtail were from the 90.

So judging from this picture, do I have a 90 throttle body? You can see the new black ISC installed right behind the fuel line. Will I have issues using a 91+ ISC? It fits and seals flush with a new O-ring, but I've been reading mixed things about it...What I'm doing now is swapping in all 92 stuff - New engine harness, ECU, coilpack, and whatever else I find is mismatched.

Thanks!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks for the help! I don't see a 2 wire sensor like that...but I am wondering what this single pin thing is with the crusty/cracked connector. It attaches to the throttle position sensor -

The 92 harness I'm swapping in doesn't have a spot for it in the TPS connector, but there is a single wire connector coming out of the ISC connector that looks like it would match up pretty well...

Perfect, thanks. I'm just going to keep the questions rollin'...

This sensor appears to be different from 90 to 92...what might this be?

Here are the connectors. 92 on the left, 90 on the right-

Ah yeah, I believe you mentioned that in my other thread. Thanks! I'll snag the correct one off of ebay.

Stay tuned for more "what connector is this" posts! Slowly chipping away.

Very helpful, thanks a lot!

I'm sure this info is in what you linked to, but I'm in the middle of putting my dash back in and just seeing if anyone can save me some time. I've got these 2 sensors hanging out by the coil pack/power transistor:

This has a single black wire with a white stripe. I thought it was related to the tach noise filter. I have the 2 pin connector and filter from the 90 harness, but don't really know what to do with it.

Then this guy, same location -

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

This one is on the interior, under the passenger side dash. 2/3 connectors are the same, but the big white one is slightly longer. It looks like there are the same exact wires, so I could cut and solder in the connector from the 90 harness I have. Unless I'm missing something?

Cutting and soldering is not necessary. The connectors can be unlocked, pins/wires released, and swapped. But you are correct, the wires are the same (C-58).

You've been a great help, thank you!

I've discovered another clusterf***- The interior harness has a wire that completely fried allllll the way from the fuse box to (I think) the radio harness. It is red with a black stripe, like many others in this harness haha. But I'm pretty sure it was just the 12v power for the radio. I also noticed a solid green wire that was cut midway in the harness, no clue where it is supposed to go. Additionally, the fuse box is missing the cover. I looked it up online and the fuses are all sorts of wrong. 30a in 10a spots, etc. More were wrong than right, hence the fried wire.

Fried wire picture for your enjoyment-

Last but not least, there is a connector in the car (90 harness) which has fewer wires going to it than the 92 harness. I forgot to take a picture, but I believe it was in the center and connects to the interior harness next to the ECU. I'll try to snap a picture tonight. The colors in the 90 all have matches in the 92, but there are 3-4 extra wires.

Rather than continuing to trace these issues all around I'm thinking it might just be easier to get an interior harness from a 92. When searching craigslist/ebay, is this what I'd be looking for? Or does it go by a different name?

Oh and I definitely will be wanting to replace the radiator fan harness. Somehow they're wired up to be constantly on full blast, and they were shorting out somewhere the last time I had the car running...Is that the proper name for that harness?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back