The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1g fan wiring with switch and relay

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAW91

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 16, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong here? I drew up a diagram on paint of how I have it wired up and its not working. The switch gets power but the fan doesn't kick on when I turn the switch on.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have the switch power wire going to the lighter positive and the fan positive going to the 87 terminal on the relay and everything that says ground or ground/negative is grounded to the body.

JAW91, Just can't get my brain around your diagram and explination, sorry, I know it has to be me.... Whenever I run into electrical issues, first check all the components to make sure they are working. Power the fan directly from the battery, then power the fan through the relay, and so on. When it quits working, then you found your problem. Could be just bad contact pads on the relay or the relay coil is open???

The Relay is brand new from advance discount, I think it might be that I didn't go to battery from the fan. I went to the relay instead but that's what I thought I was supposed to do.. :(

Last edited:
Nobody on here knows how to wire a fan in with a relay and a switch?

Yeah but that's not how to wire it with a switch, that's how to wire it to the stock plug. I don't have the plug so I can't do that. Do you think that Relay #'s 85 and 86 are wrong on my diagram and maybe that's whats making it not work when I turn the switch on? Because that's pretty much the only thing I did different. They go to the switch on my Diagram.

Yeah but that's not how to wire it with a switch, that's how to wire it to the stock plug. I don't have the plug so I can't do that. Do you think that Relay #'s 85 and 86 are wrong on my diagram and maybe that's whats making it not work when I turn the switch on? Because that's pretty much the only thing I did different. They go to the switch on my Diagram.

This is the relay switch sytem I bought. I din't get to test it yet because the car still isn't running yet. Buy it has a pretty easy diagram to follow depending on if you have the same wires or not.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/700/764/764-30101ins.pdf

My relay isn't in parallel and it doesn't plug into its self, The relay I have looks like this one
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The thing I was wondering the most is if the negative on the switch goes back into the negative on the relay or maybe another explanation for it not working.

Honestly my car only has a down pipe on it right now so its LOUD but tomorrow I'll have somebody kick the switch on while I listen and let you guys know.

I don't know why I said anything about it having only a down pipe on it... I guess I forgot that you didn't have to start it to check for the clicking... Lol, anyways yes the relay does click when you switch the switch to the on position. And the light works to the switch so I know that's getting power. I'm just still not sure why the fan is not getting power while the relay is working :(.

Is your fan shot?

The fan is brand new out of the box. (Its a Mishimoto fan)

I just tested the fan and I know for sure it works.

Yes it is.

The switch is lighting up, and the relay is clicking but like I said I still just don't get while the fan isn't coming on?

There is an easy fix, it should be a little more straight forward than this

Test the fan - pos on battery pos, neg on battery neg

Test the relay with your ohmmeter

Your first diagram looks good to me it should work assuming "relay trigger" is jumpered to battery positive in some way. Which looks like the case with your switch.

When you flip the switch you should be able to easily hear the relay click

Also, test all your assumed grounds with a voltmeter, IE DMM positive lead on cigarette positive and negative lead on wherever you want to test for a ground. Or a test light would be even better

I keep thinking that it should be an easy fix but I can't figure it out for some reason. The relay is brand new and clicks when I flip switch in my car but I'll test the ohms on it tomorrow anyways. The switch positive is wired into my cigarette lighter positive and the switch lights up like it should. I'll test the negatives with my test light tomorrow and see whats up with them (I know the fan ground is good because I put the positive connection on the battery and the fan worked great like it should).

I don't care for those lighted switches, maybe the switch isn't wired up to the right terminals? Two pictures...

Just giving you suggestions, only thing I can think of

Attachments

• switch1.jpg
    switch1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 3,018
  • switch2.jpg
    switch2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 12,363
I was going to wire in a switch too, until I found out that if you turn the blower on to the first notch, and press the little button with the snowflake on it, both fans come on anyway. There's literally no point in wiring a switch, unless your mixer is stuck on heat or something. -LOL.

I was going to wire in a switch too, until I found out that if you turn the blower on to the first notch, and press the little button with the snowflake on it, both fans come on anyway. There's literally no point in wiring a switch, unless your mixer is stuck on heat or something. -LOL.

That's the Air Conditioner button ;)

Ok, I'm. Not exactly sure what your doing here, but here is an easy solution that I used on my talon. Fused. Power wire from battery to relay. Using 10ga wire. Then from the relay to the fan. Ground the relay. Your switch should be fed from an ign wire. I used the ign wire from my radio as a. Source as my switch is in the cab. Then ign to switch. Input. Ground to ground (I used the radio bracket) and then the output to the relays trigger input. This way you never have to worry about being stupid and leaving your fan running while your out of the car because the ign off means power is off. And the relay is only triggering power. Directly from the battery or disconnecting it. Just make sure your fuse and relay are capable of handling the amperage your fan needs, and also make sure you use the proper. Wiring as well. The feed I suggest 10ga, but the ign trigger can be smaller as it doesn't have much draw to trigger the. Relay.

Those Diagrams are for if you have the stock connectors and fan and I don't have the stock connectors and I have a Mishimoto slimfan. Lol @TurboLaserRS man I have no comment for that xD. I don't have a relay in the spot for my fan because I did not plan on using it anyways. And also, the switch has labels on the side of it telling me whats what so I don't think that's it. I think I have one of the terminal's in the wrong place or something. My problem is that the relay clicks on when I flip the switch but my fan still gets no power.

I'm out of fast fix ideas, you should be able to find the fault with a DVOM though

First take your DVOM and make sure you have +12V at terminal 30. If no voltage on terminal 30, your fuse is blown or the wire before terminal 30 is not connected to +12V.

If good, flip the switch so relay clicks (if it clicks, your relay coil ciruit is correct). Now you will have +12V at terminal 87. If no fan operation, the wire between 87 and fan is open, or the fan ground is open, or fuse just blew

Fixed it, had a broken connector on the fan power wire that I replaced and had the fan power on 87A instead of 87 -_-. Thanks for the help though guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back