The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Carbon Fiber Sunroof

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWR-DSM

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 5, 2008
Schenectady, New_York
Still needs clear coating!!

Its thin light and strong...

Carbon weight... 2lb 5oz
Glass weight... 11lb 5oz

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Are you going to be able to use the stock seal on this also did you add any support ridges looks a bit flmsy if it doesnt, you may have high speed issues.

The front will be secured by the oem hooks and secure the back with (L brackets). Im going to use the stock seals and then take a bead of black silicone and fill the gap(if any)

Looks pretty good. How many layers and what did you use for core?

in the picture of it on the trash can it looks lumpy, like it needs smoothed. Is that how it's gonna finish too? or is there some way to sand that smooth without damaging the carbon fiber?

Its smooth now LOL :thumb:, that was done earlier in the stages.

Thats fine on the seals. But what have you done to keep it from flexing soo much it might pop out? If you have no ridged supports (like under a hood) the pressure in side the car at speed may pop it out of place due to the fact there is a low pressure zone over the sun roof (moon roof in this case LOL) the faster you go the lower the pressure in that low pressure zone gets. The pressure in the car will stay mostly constant. Thus pushing up on the moon roof. This will be even more of a problem if you drive at high speeds with the windows down you will be raising the cabin pressure even more and push harder on your new moon roof. The air has to go some where! Path of least resistance!

This may not happen and would like to know your results. But I personally would not just build a sheet of carbon fiber and call it a day. While it is strong it also is designed to flex. A glider (not hang gliders but real aircraft made out of fiberglass and carbon fiber) with a 70' wing span each 35' wing can flex up to 4' yes four feet! This is using a carbon fiber square tubular main spar that is over 1/4" up to 1/2" in wall thickness. I can personally attest to this flexing on the wings I have flown gliders all my life.
I have also designed and built small scale fiber glass aircraft (Remote Controlled). I have also taken classes on aerodynamics in college while in school for Aeronautical Science (airline pilot).

My father is also an aerospace engineer and In upper management. So I have been around these type of things all my life.

I know you might think I am a bit crazy about it. But I would hate to see that sun roof pop out at highway, or drag speeds and break your expensive piece of work not to mention that it would scratch or dent the roof on your car or even break the back glass.

I know you might think I am a bit crazy about it. But I would hate to see that sun roof pop out at highway, or drag speeds and break your expensive piece of work not to mention that it would scratch or dent the roof on your car or even break the back glass.

I don't think you are crazy at all, it seems to make sense to me. What do you suggest I do :hmm:

Well its a bit late in the process. If you can rough up the backing enough to get really good adhesion you could add a backing layer you can use either dowel rods or 1/2"x1/2" balsa wood which I would recommend b/c it lighter.

Make an x in the middle of the sun roof use a little epoxy to hold the balsa or dowels in place let that cure for a bit then add a layer or of fiber glass or carbon fiber. If you use fiber glass you can always paint it black or put head liner material on it. If you use carbon fiber you will have weave issues due to the fact the balsa or dowels are raised. you will need an extra layer or two around the joint of the x do these first. You may also need a strait piece around the edges I would defiantly do it on the longer part. Will see if I can figure out how to make a drawing.

Ok so here is a rendering I know it not great but it was done quickly with paint. Brown is the dowels or balsa wood. Just so you know balsa is a bit on the expensive side and will have to be found at a craft store or hobby shop. But if you go though and find the lightest pieces you can you might only add a few dozen ounces of wight just for the balsa. You will have more luck finding dowel rods you will need at least 3/8" dowels. But they do weigh more.

The red circles indicate areas you will need to beef up with extra layers before you put the final layers on. Also the ones on the small side I would say are optional but I personally would put them in.

There is another option that is lighter than balsa but does not work with fiber glass resin. There are types of foam that you can get that will not melt when you use epoxy this will be more time consuming b/c you have to cut equal width and height strips to make it look good. You will also need to beef up the foam areas with more fiber glass. So wight savings may be null.

Don't forget about the lip for the seal while adding these supports ether make them smaller than the opening or if you go with a thiner balsa wood say 3/4"x1/4" you can make it so the 3/4" wide balsa sits on the seal. Either way you go make sure you do some measuring.

Attachments

• moon roof.jpg
    moon roof.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,348
Next time just use core mat instead of woven mat in the structure layer. Not too expensive and will make it ridgid.

Looks good!!

i would be slightly worried about it poping out. I saw it happen once on pinks LOL Gasp:

i dont see why you couldn't attach it securely enough that i cant pop out. even without the flex reinforcement.

this is a much smaller thing than that glider. you are talking about 4 foot over 35. this is what 2 1/2 feet. I would be surprised if you put you hand in the center and braced the two sides that you would even get an inch of deflection. BUT if it does want to flex then yes something must be done.

Here are more pictures of the CF Sunroof. Its going to be wet sanded and clear coated more. Excuse the Iphone and the dust LOL......

looks good. guys why cant he just fiberglass mat the underside for more structor and flex? I would and I know it would adhere to the CF

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back