The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

1G AWD starter removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motox-010

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2007
Spearfish, South_Dakota
Okay, need to replace my starter, I have everything disconnected, but for the life of me CANNOT figure out how to get the damn thing out! My friend said drop it through the bottom, but that's impossible, as there's an exhaust pipe and driveshaft to close together.

The starter motor is no where near the downpipe exhaust.

You don't need to get under the car. Just remove the battery and the battery tray and you can go from there with a flex wrench.

ive exchanged my starter at least a million times (or around that) and yes if you remove the battery and tray you should be able to get your hand between the coolant hoses and wiggle it out. be careful as i thought it was lighter than it was and ended up with a smashed finger. and thats no fun. whats wrong with the starter anyway?

What I was saying, is my friend with an FWD pulled his starter through the bottom. But I got it out. Oh yea I've got a 6 bolt.

Well I got it out and in once, so I think I can do it again.

Ah a beautiful guide dude, it helped me so much! Made it really easy to change out the starter

Great guide with pics, made this process much easier. This is my 3rd 1g DSM, but my first starter swap. Mine wasn't rusty, but quite oily, probably from my recently blown 14b experience, I blew a crapload of oil out of the BOV after I got the new turbo back on.

I would have preferred a rusty one, that was one slippery SOB, I had a helluva time maneuvering it in there. My abnormally large forearms were not a help there. I have big forearms from, you know, turning wrenches.

Great guide, thanks for posting it.

**so when I got to autozone, they tested it and it passed with flying colors...WTF?

Re-installed and it fired right up. It looked original, so I'm hesitant to throw it out.

Last edited:
Reviving this because I have a newb question: on the two bolts that connect to trans, does it matter which one the ground wire is connected to? Got new starter in and now it makes a belt rub/squeal-type noise when clutch is pressed in.. about to switch the bolt its connected to, if that doesn't work, will put old one back in and see if noise goes away.

edit: switched the bolt that ground was connected too, this time made the noise soon as car started. will put old starter back in and see if new noise goes away.

Last edited:
Reviving this because I have a newb question: on the two bolts that connect to trans, does it matter which one the ground wire is connected to? Got new starter in and now it makes a belt rub/squeal-type noise when clutch is pressed in.. about to switch the bolt its connected to, if that doesn't work, will put old one back in and see if noise goes away.

edit: switched the bolt that ground was connected too, this time made the noise soon as car started. will put old starter back in and see if new noise goes away.
Pressing the clutch in has no effect/relation to the starter.

Got both starters off to compare and something is sheering off on the housing (top right of spindles). Can't see a thing down there.. Any ideas/advice? One friend said could be loose flywheel (fingers crossed not too bad).

Attachments

• starters.jpg
    starters.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 129
You do not have the trans fully bolted down. Do you have the starter plate installed also? Do you have the small trans mount bolt in place the goes in from the opposite side? Whatvyoure seeing is the flywheel rubbing the trans. Something isn't assembled correctly. Did you just recently install this trans?

Worst case, if the trans is fully seated, starter plate is in etc. It may have crank walk. @pauleyman us prolly right on with it not being bolted down all the way.

Trans hasn't been touched in the 3 yrs I've had it. But for old starter to have same (old) marks.. Put a mirror down there (can't see much) and felt nothing loose or wiggling. Put old starter back and started fine, no noise. So maybe I can get away with a couple of thin washers on mount bolts to prevent that scraping on the new one (bolts are long enough, they'll still come all the way through).

It may be the flywheel then, since that's what's scraping on starter housing. How can I see if there's a starter plate? Feels like there's one but can't see a thing down there. Or do I need to get it up on stands and check from underneath?

This is what it looks like out of the car....it is about 1/8" thick and will be between your block and your transmission.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back