The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 1g 7bolt Auto questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek232

Proven Member
Jun 9, 2016
Thornton, Colorado
I am putting a 1g 7bolt motor into my 91 GSX auto while I finish building my 6bolt so that I can drive the car this season. I can't find anything for the 1g bolt for sale. I know I will need a flex plate out of a 92.5-94 and I will need a pilot bushing for a 1g 7bolt. Is there anything else I'm missing? any help is appreciated.

I have heard Jaffromobile on youtube talk about this topic. I believe he said that the 6 bolt transmission did not bolt up to the 7 rear main correctly, due to some play in the mounting, due to a missing bolt. He said that if you used the 7 bolt tranny, that it would require the utilization of axles from a 2G as well. I'm new myself, but check out his channel, very knowledgeable.

I have heard Jaffromobile on youtube talk about this topic. I believe he said that the 6 bolt transmission did not bolt up to the 7 rear main correctly, due to some play in the mounting, due to a missing bolt. He said that if you used the 7 bolt tranny, that it would require the utilization of axles from a 2G as well. I'm new myself, but check out his channel, very knowledgeable.
That sounds like more 1G, 2G differences then it does 6 bolt vs 7 Bolt. There is also nothing that bolts to the "rear main".

Having done the swap over from a 1g 7-bolt, to a 6-bolt 4G64 (sourced from a 92 Mitsu Expo LVR) many, many years ago, I can say that it is a direct swap (shy of needing a 6-both flexplate). I reused the 7-bolt pilot bearing & starter plate from the OEM 7-bolt that came with the car. Everything else was a direct bolt in.

There were a few minor things that didn't line up, but I attribute those to the increased deck height of the 4G64 block, and not a 1G 6 vs 7 bolt difference.

I might still have the factory 1G 7-bolt flexplate laying around somewhere... if you can't find one, jlmk & I'll look for it

Im swapping 1g 6bolt into a 1g 7bolt car(93 talon)right now. As long as both are 1g its an easy swap... like mentioned just need the 6 or 7 bolt flex plate.

Attachments

• 537416176.jpg
    537416176.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 63
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back