The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1g 1.8 DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayswag

Probationary Member
Feb 20, 2012
Kelso, Washington
look i dont want to get a 4g63 i love the 1.8 it is reliable. the ? is what do i do about the big ass map sensor on it. how do i replace it or maby mod it so i can put a complete cold air on it. trying to build my 1.8 slow due to money but it is hard finding parts. and relabel segmentation help

A welder is your friend!!!!!!!!! Or take it to somebody to weld you a fitting.

Hi
Seen you have not post an updated to your build, and I am interested in what you are doing or your plans for the car, as I have a friend w/ 2 g which will like to do a 1.8 for road racing.

I know it it frustating that you can not find much info on the 1.8 but for this class it will work fine.

I need you to do me a favor and take a picture of the engine bay to see how it is set up as I have never seen one if you can take a picture of the valve cover

Thanks.

What is the benefit of a 1.8 vs the 2.0? Is there that much weight difference between the two?

What is the benefit of a 1.8 vs the 2.0? Is there that much weight difference between the two?

That is what he has and likes.

In my case I have a friend that would like to build one for road racing and in his case is class rules and break downs.

I dont think there is that much weight difference maybe 60 to 70lbs.

an ITB setup and a crazy ass exhaust mani/header to start with.

contact wiseco and see if you can have a set of pistons made for it, then, seeing as how they now own k1 technologies, you can send them a rod for them to make up or get a bunch of different 4g series bottom end parts and see if anything is cross compatible. or see what mitsu used overseas.

i did hear back in the day that the 1.8's VE was better than the 2.0's

what is a 1.8VE?

i took a picture, the red ones mine and ill take a picture of the engine bay tomorrow,

by VE i am referring to volumetric efficiency. from what i read a few moons back, the 1.8's had a better VE than the 4g63. also, if you do decide to stay N/A and my individual throttle body idea intrigues you let me know.

Last edited:
1.8 is non interference motor. Right? I miss mine.. I took the 2.0 intake right off and put on my 1.8 was doing injectors from 2.0 but deal was broke.

i did hear back in the day that the 1.8's VE was better than the 2.0's

The problem is their blocks can't handle the power a 4G63 can. Their block cracks around 250-300whp, not to mention the time, money, and effort it takes to get a 1.8 to that level you could just swap in a N/T 4G63, slap on a basic 14B setup at 15-16lbs of boost, and beat the ever living hell out of the 1.8.

But it's your car, so more power to you. It's a waste of money, but you'll see that in the end. Until then, enjoy it.

I would join dsm1eigths.org , it was quite helpful when i had my 4g37.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back