The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1999 GSX Black Betty

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I do too man. I was just getting the feel for the tires and was working on smoothing out the runs. Can't wait till we kick ass again next event. Already have some plans for before the next event but we will see if money allows for that.

We had our regions 3rd points event on Sunday and again had a blast. Had some pretty good competition and we had to run 3 run groups which is pretty rare for our region. Had a great time with great people and once again I came in 2nd. Was told for a decent/somewhat competitive run you should run at least a 48.00 after working first. First run was 47.9 which felt pretty good. Over the day I kept my spot of third place in SM until my last run which was a 46.2 which shot me into 2nd.

37B49F6A-EA02-48F6-AD8E-B05334D59263_zpsoqtdvxii.jpg

Last edited:
So the other day my buddy Aaron and I went all in as far as working on my car and gettin it tuned. We swapped out the stock injectors for my FIC 850cc tht have been sitting around for over two years and got DSMlink to connect. We tuned it and currently running 21 psi with no boost fade (not many t28s do that) and knock so I'm happy. Had a tiny little studder and swapped out the spark plus for some BPR7ES and is running great now. We set launch control at 5500 and she takes off pretty good now. We are gonna tune more before our race on Sunday and hopefully I can get 1st place because I'm sick of 2nd LOL. I can wait to throw the cams in and see what they do. So far I'm pretty happy with everything I've done and even thought its been a long road it's been worth it every step.

Well after the event on Sunday I'm not very please with the car. I'm not sure what was wrong but the car was very inconsistent all day. My times would swing from 44.6 to 46.3 all day long and the car felt like it was RWD the entire day. I'm not sure if I broke something or if my camber/toe is off. Was not a very fun day at the track but I'll get under it tomorrow and get her ready for the shootout. I'm not sure if I'm just gonna autox or run max effort. If I don't find anything wrong with the car and it still is acting like this then I might just not run at all. Regardless the car will be at the shootout. Feel free to come up to BS.

3D52DFF4-43B8-4F5C-892D-91E8E2ED699F_zpsunjwtwno.jpg
101273CF-3F61-4729-A329-2CB7E1B27360_zpsfwfhupmy.jpg

Well its been awhile since I've updated this but a few good things have happened since. I desided to run at the shootout and ended up taking third place in autocross. Every year I go with my buddy Dayo that drives a dodge colt and he placed 3rd in max effort and I came in third for autocross which was pretty cool that we both came home with hardware. 344874A8-C1F9-4750-B198-6B5894F3F167_zpstmi1wng7.jpg
6CCB2B5C-FC65-4141-910E-381C2CD93100_zpssxgyxs7d.jpg
9B282C89-EC30-42D8-954B-CA016F629D2A_zpszi07zumv.jpg
As far as the rest of the year with my local autocross region I wasn't overall happy about the year but I think its because I'm being too hard on myself. Came in 4th in the street modified class I run in. As soon as I herd my name I knew what I had to do for next year. I have a few plans up my sleeve but I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I've been saving up for a house so well see if it gets done or not.

Last edited:
Yeah me too. I want to get a set to go with the blue bulbs i have. Just dont know where to get em.

Will it fit in a 96.? Im not sure when they changed interior

Car looks good. Hopefully mine will be done for this summer and I will see you at some events in the Lake Erie region.

Where you located in Cleveland?

That would be awesome to see another dsm there. DSMs clean house in our region. My buddy Aaron I hope will be attending events all the way from medina ohio so maybe you guys could meet up for the ride

Damn right man! Very much looking forward to this coming season.

Where you located in Cleveland?

I am from the East Side, Lake County. But I am currently in LA for work and have my fingers crossed I will be back in the Mid West this summer to run the Talon. I would like to have it out here in Cali and run some events but the emissions people would crush that car the second they saw it haha.

So with the warmer weekend coming I decided to dig out the dsm from all the snow and ice. The battery was a little low so I put it on a slow charge for a few hours. I put the battery in after a few hours of charging and went to start it. I got nothing. I went back to the batter and checked and it instantly dropped to 5 volts. So I took the battery back out and now have had it charging overnight. I'm gonna go home tonight and hope that I get to hear her for the first time in 4 months!

A3E9AB23-B18D-46EC-85C9-20A1475FD8CE_zpsdydwggzb.jpg

E3F9B989-E66A-4E27-9379-DD47D900296E_zpsmoyxj49p.jpg

I can't wait for the snow to melt away so I can start tearing into the car to get her ready for may 3rd. Our neighbor reigon WNY SCCA's first event. Hopefully get the car on track for the misery bay region.

After I got home from work I went out and put the battery in and she started right up like I put her away yesterday. I let her run for about 40 mins just to be sure nothing would happen while I was working outside by it. All I have to say is that is been way too long since I heard her running!

Last week I had some down time and got tired of looking at a hole where the stock radio should be but not wanting to deal with putting a radio in. Not that its hard but I only drive the car to races and around where I live and would rather hear the exhaust and BOV. I orders some plastic online and cut it to fit my opening. Not the best job I've ever done but here it is.

892868FF-0252-44D6-B2F5-DFD60AC33B2F_zpswzrlrovk.jpg

I've also me modded my wastegate. Now I'm running a custom setup thats a mix betwin my actuator arm and holset spring. (Ill get pics next time I'm working on the car)

I've torn the suspension of the car almost completely apart as of today. Unfortunately it go dark before I could take pictures. I've decided that if I want to be more competitive in autocross its time to get a real race suspension so I've been in contact with FEAL suspensions and came up with a great custom setup which I'm Hoping it will be here soon! Also redoing my upper control arms with spc adjustable ball joints so I can get a little more camber in the front. Steel braided brake lines and I figured I'd repaint my calipers while I'm in there. After everything's in and I know that's all squared away I'm gonna throw my cams in and switch to e85. Very much looking forward to this year and the group of people I race with.

So nice little update today. I've been waiting for about a month for these baby's to come in. FEAL suspension custom specs at 650/350 front and rear. Custom valving and hoping these pay off at autocross events this year. 97541650-70C1-4FEC-83A8-8A9671CA920D_zpszejzgoye.jpg

Also bought SPC ball joints to gain a little more negative camber for handling and as I went to put everything in I realized they sent me one correct ball joint and one wrong one. I sent it back and it took about two weeks to get back to me but today I finally got the car back on all does and have an alignment in the AM. Took here down the road and back and she's pretty darty so I didn't even try to push it or she how she handled but I will say they are close to as comfertable as my illuminas on their softest and I can still go softer.

AE11193F-BEB4-495E-A5C2-B17574ADD475_zps6vt8cwyd.jpg

I'll post the resualts of the alignment tomorrow and more feedback on both products.

Attachments

• 97541650-70C1-4FEC-83A8-8A9671CA920D_zpszejzgoye.jpg
    97541650-70C1-4FEC-83A8-8A9671CA920D_zpszejzgoye.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I went for my alignment and unfortunate the bolts for the rear toe adjustments snapped. I'm going back this Friday to get the rest of te alignment finished. I order new toe arms to insure I'll never have this problem again. I'll post pictures after install.

On another note, I have a friend that I autocross with and he's been wanting a DSM for a long time. I finally found him a decent 96 talon AWD with only 95k on it. It needs a little work but nothing major. Hoping he sells his normal autocross car and starts racing the talon. I'll post pics soon of his car with mine I'm sure!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back