The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1999 eclipse gs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I just wanted to share how I unprofessionally repaired my rust damage on my strut tower, with pictures.
20171128_114116.jpg

So in this picture u can see the extent of the damage.
20171130_133654.jpg

Here is what it looks like mostly cut out. I used a pneumatic die grinder with a metal cutting disk attachment, a sanding disc, and a metal brush attachment on a drill. I cleaned it up alot more the night before I got it all welded up. I didn't take a picture unfortunately but obviously all the rust needs to be removed and any paint around where u will weld.
20171130_133648.jpg

I decided to weld a sheet of metal on the top and underside. Here u see a bottom piece that I fabricated(I used a pair if fixed vise grips and a hammer). I also cut a small piece for the gap on the top right. However that didn't really need and major fabricating so I don't have a picture of it.
This piece was welded from the top because doing it from the bottom would've been too much of a hassle.
20171201_171929.jpg

So here is the top piece that I fabricated with many a hits from a hammer. I decided to make it out of a single piece. I don't know the thickness of the metal but it was pretty tough stuff so it should provide plenty of support.
20171202_123323.jpg
So here we see the top piece welded on. The right side edge was trimmed and a cut was made on the center right side so that the metal could form the proper shape. Also a small square was cut out to make the bolt hole available.
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the underside piece welded on. But I cleaned it up and sprayed a rust preventative primer over it all.
20171202_152930.jpg

So after I cleaned up the area with a metal brush drill attachment and some wax grease remover, then smeared on some fiberglass bondo. I did this on the underside as well.
20171206_140715.jpg

After sanding the fiber Glass bondo, I then applied plain bondo over top of it and sanded that as well. After that I cleaned it up and spray painted it with a rust preventative paint.
20171206_152544.jpg

And here is the finished product.
20171207_141455.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back