1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.
Please Support Morrison Fabrications

Street Build 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
  1. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009
    Oak Ridge, North Carolina
    So I'm back, and I've gone full hypocrite. Since my induction into DSM'ing, I've sworn it's automatic or nothing, and that I'd never use ECMlink.

Well, here I am. :D 5-speed GSX with no plans to ever auto swap it, and first mod for the car will be ECMLink V3 Full. :p This will not be a crazy build or anything more than 300-350awtq ever, but that'll be plenty for what it is. A fun weekend cruiser that will retain A/C, power steering, creature comforts, and all the benefits of a comfortable, fast with class DSM. :)

First things first will be to make sure all the maintenance is up to snuff and that it's mechanically ready to be modified. I've got an oil leak to take care of, and this clutch pedal is like..whoa. I have maybe 1/8th of an inch of clutch. LOL. So there's a few things, but overall..I'm excited.

Stay tuned! :p

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

14b   manual
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
    Kryndon and Pouffysubset like this.

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. bettfootball

bettfootball Proven Member

Joined Mar 7, 2010
    bettendorf, Iowa
    Cracked!!! you made the switch from Talk! I can't even login on Talk anymore, it just won't let me.

CrackedDSM likes this.
  3. ishnish

ishnish Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2011
    Modesto, California
    You have the exact same goals as me. However, mine are more so short term goals and I will be aiming for higher power much later on. That'll be the only difference. Can't wait to see what you do. Maybe we can help each other out. You're in northern Cali just like me!

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

16g   manual
    CrackedDSM likes this.
  4. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009
    Haha, yeah, I've been here for awhile. I was away from both sites for a long time focusing on family, career, bills..boring stuff. But now I'm back! And yeah the password requirements are straight up retarded, man. You need a lower case letter, upper case letter, capitalized ancient hebrew text that's blessed by a rabbi, and a virgin first born with blonde hair in order to log in...

Haha awesome. Only difference is I'm definitely not in California, haha. I'm in North Carolina. I couldn't deal with that SMOG you guys have to deal with, man!

Also, just as a minor update, I did this today. I took it for a drive and just shot a quick photo on my iPhone. God this car looks good.

edited_2gGSX.jpg

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
  5. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009
    Painted the BOV today. :) I think it turned out amazing. The red is super deep in the sunlight. I didn't spend hardly any elbow grease on it at all so I think it's amazing for the work I put into it. I'm also going to paint my valvecover in the same color as the red on top of the BOV. ;)

bov 1.jpg
    bov 2.jpg
    bov 3.jpg
    bov 4.jpg
    bov 5.jpg

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
    Mitsubishiown likes this.
  6. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009
    Whoa I’ve been gone for a little while. Some updates.

1) Got these things installed. :)

062DE100-4B4B-4F0C-AEA9-A5AC74D6C6EA.jpeg

Glowshift 10-color series water temp and boost gauge. Also, I found those gauge overlays in the junkyard for $20 and actually really like them. Idgaf if you hate them or not. :p. Now I just need a wideband.

2) and I did this!

FFD30605-9C96-427B-8839-6604EA2BBA62.jpeg
    88C63994-DB4B-4842-9FF4-33D61FCF4C13.jpeg
    7042E071-92D3-4DEE-A50F-14724A750BC1.jpeg
    B948A7AC-F7CB-44E7-9E54-21EE3992B3C2.jpeg

Apparently it was like the last vrsf style intercooler left in the country. I way overpaid but meh. I wanted and needed a fmic. Boy was this thing a pita to install. LOL. Cliff notes though: if you buy the eBay version and not vrsf brand like I did, go ahead and order another 2.5” coupler and two t-bolt clamps. It is missing them right off the bat.

The rest is easily searchable.

After effects? Man this thing made a huge difference. My stock smic looked like a bird hit it and it was full of oil. Immediately noticed an increase in throttle response, and power. Power doesn’t stop even until redline now, and it made a WAAAY bigger difference than I thought it would. I’ve installed fmic’s on my 1Gs before but this one made a world of difference. This thing rips now man.

Drivability issues? None really. I have no ducting and both stock fans(I got creative with the LICP) and cruising/highway/rolling is no trouble. Never goes above 190’s. Stoplights will creep up to 210-213 but soon as you get rolling again, it cools down. I have another 12” slim fan I’m going to install soon on the a/c condenser and last resort is duct work. But A/C doesn’t have any ill affects at all. :).

More will come as I get more cash. When I install the fan on the condenser I’ll update the driveability aspect. :) stay tuned!

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
    ErikTande likes this.
  7. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009
    I’m just keeping this up for posterity sake as I’m pretty sure no ones following this. But hey! To all my imaginary fans, here’s a small lulz update.

I was doing some odds and ends with the gsx today(mostly the door handle, ugh) and decided to finally remove this thing. It would explain a lot once I did.

936F8175-BDFA-46CC-8902-80C92A101D41.jpeg
    A6C5F01C-FE74-401F-B8CA-D7DAB22C959B.jpeg

Looks like a bird hit it man. Also there are some pinhole leaks. Nothing MAJOR, but would definitely account for some power loss, and start up issues that went away with the fmic install.

I just want to reiterate one thing though.

My God this car rips with the FMIC installed man.

Also, I totally dodged a huge bullet. On my way to work the radiator’s upper neck broke the hell off on me. I drove it about a mile or so down the road and shut it off. Was totally worried the motor was ruined but there was enough left to reattach the upper radiator hose, and refill about a gallon or two of coolant mix, and it was good to go. No power loss, no coolant usage, no smoke. Phew! ARP headstuds and shutting it down quick saves lives. Lol.

Stay tuned all you imaginary legions of fans. More will come later when I don’t have tickets to pay. Lol.

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
  8. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009
    So I finally found a part I’ve been searching for, for awhile. It’s the passenger side block off plate for the hole that leads to the smic. Since I have a front mount now, I don’t need it. So I found one from a 420a and popped it on. Cleans it up so much.

The plan is to make my own Air-dam/lip to block the bottom of the bumper clear to the engine, and I’m gonna block the fogs off too. So I’ll have OEM bumper shutters basically. :D get as much air as possible going through the fmic and radiator. Now, on to the pics!

B8CCCC38-6290-4F37-847D-3FE133E7BA55.jpeg
    3E1D8E21-119F-4C23-B54C-135089BAA4AE.jpeg

:) looks so much better. Stay tuned folks!

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
  9. boostdawd

boostdawd Supporting Member

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    Very nice ride!

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

GT35   manual
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (sold)

Street Build

16g   manual
    CrackedDSM likes this.
  10. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009
    Thank you my friend. :)

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
  11. buddahboost

buddahboost Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2007
    CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Illinois
    Yeah, what he said.

Clean up those headlights, please. Thank you

12. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009

No. :p unless you wanna come do it for me and/or buy the stuff for me.

I’m usually so beat up on the weekends when I’m actually free that I delegate my time to really important stuff. Like duct work, installing spare pusher fan, or driving it. Lol.

As a random update, I got my first thumbs up today from a random motorist. That was a pretty awesome experience for me.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. :) it’s not anything world breaking but I love it to death.

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
  13. boostdawd

boostdawd Supporting Member

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    It is to us. We love these cars. I get 2nd looks on my 2gb talon quite a bit. Ppl dont know wat it is LOL

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

GT35   manual
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (sold)

Street Build

16g   manual
    CrackedDSM likes this.