The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1998 Eagle Talon TSI slow build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98_tsi_

Proven Member
Feb 6, 2013
Lebanon, Tennessee
I purchased my 1998 Eagle Talon from a florida woman last winter some time around christmas. The car had NO mods, but it had a blown head gasket. I picked the car up for 3000 and took it home. It took me a long time to get the head gasket replaced I kinda went against general rule and put some mods on it before fixing the head gasket....I would just keep coolant on me or in the car and fill it up when it would begin to get hot. I should have started a build thread a while back but since I am only continuing with the build I can start a little late ;)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/welcome-forum-member-intros/457114-decided-join-forums.html

That is the link of when the car was completely factory and I had just picked it up.

First mod I did was a cat back from ebay, I had plans to gut the exhaust system anyways. I could have went to a exhaust shop and had them bend up a straight piped exhaust, but I had a 1g with a straight pipe exhaust to a gutted can and I liked how that sound a lot so this my plan was to gut the canister on the cat back and just make it look like a exhaust is on the car. I bought the cat back for 80 bucks shipped. Was very happy with the price since I was just going to cut it up. Next I found a down pipe on ebay, the auction price was 80 bucks. I bid and won, it is 2 1/2 inches from the o2 housing to the flex, after the flex it is 3 inches all the way back. I scrapped my cat once the down pipe was on for 80 bucks so the dp was basically free.

My next mod was a front mount I got off a evo 8. I figure if the inter cooler works good for the oem evo 16g it could work great for my little T-25. I ordered a piping kit off of ebay and a HKS SSQv 4 bov waited for them to all show up then got to work. The piping was a pain in the but to cut and get right, but I finally got it the way I wanted. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=162822&d=1386169441

The time came for the T-25 to go, the car was so slow with the T-25 so I picked up a 14b from a friend for 75 bucks. My manifold was cracked so I looked around and found a FP used for 150. Once it was here I put it on and left the boost on wastegate pressure.

The car was way too quiet so I finally got around to taking the axle back off and gutting the can. I cut the back of the can open and then pulled it apart took out all the packing and anything else in the can. Then took it to a exhaust shop had them weld it back up put the axle back on the car and it sounds really nice. I am very pleased with how it sound.

With the set up I had the car was taken to a local dyno day. It was my turn to go on to the dyno and I installed a boost controller. Got the boost up to 16psi and made my pulls. The car made 272hp 272tq.....I was VERY impressed with that but was very surprised as well. We did another pull and it made the same numbers...the third pull the coolant system pressurized and I had to shut it down.

There is more, but I am running out of time so I will continue this later on.

Attachments

• front mount.jpg
    front mount.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 0207131528.jpg
    0207131528.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 53
Scrapped a cat for $80 dollars, I need to ship my scrap to you because that's a bit unbelievable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back