The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 1997 gst transmission rebuild kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keegan Ruck

Probationary Member
Oct 15, 2014
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
I have a 1997 eclipse gst spyder with a shot transmission. I want to buy a rebuild kit preferably high performance one. I was wondering what exact transmission I have in my car, and where I could find a good quality rebuild kit for a good price.

I don't think I've seen a "Kit" for the manual transmissions. They tend to have specific problems rather than need a general overhaul like an automatic might, so those brave people who enjoy repeated assembly to adjust preloads, order whatever is needed after tearing it down and identifying the damaged parts. You could look at what what the various transmission shops typically replace to make a list.

It seems the intermediate shaft bearings are under more stress as they are usually bad in the 5 awd ones I have taken apart, not sure if the fwd are effected in the same way. And yes steve is right about adjusting preload... its a pita. You replace the input and intermediate bearings and then have to set the preloads which means assembling and reassembling multiple times. That is not the problem its finding and ordering the required shims and then waiting for them to arrive that gets annoying. It wouldn't take me long to assemble and replace the shaft bearings if I had a stack of various shims. If synchros are bad its a tedious job disassembling the gear cluster and you need a bearing separator that will allow you to press off the bearings to begin with.

I do all my own work: maybe its a sick form of torture I enjoy, pride in doing it myself, being a total cheapskate or acquiring a new skill. But, in reality, the price places like TMZ and TRE charge for a rebuild (they replace a ton of stuff) is well worth it. I prefer to rebuild myself bc I don't want to wait weeks/months for a shop to do it. What ever you decide there is good info floating around to help you with the rebuild.

It seems the intermediate shaft bearings are under more stress as they are usually bad in the 5 awd ones I have taken apart, not sure if the fwd are effected in the same way. And yes steve is right about adjusting preload... its a pita. You replace the input and intermediate bearings and then have to set the preloads which means assembling and reassembling multiple times. That is not the problem its finding and ordering the required shims and then waiting for them to arrive that gets annoying. It wouldn't take me long to assemble and replace the shaft bearings if I had a stack of various shims. If synchros are bad its a tedious job disassembling the gear cluster and you need a bearing separator that will allow you to press off the bearings to begin with.

I do all my own work: maybe its a sick form of torture I enjoy, pride in doing it myself, being a total cheapskate or acquiring a new skill. But, in reality, the price places like TMZ and TRE charge for a rebuild (they replace a ton of stuff) is well worth it. I prefer to rebuild myself bc I don't want to wait weeks/months for a shop to do it. What ever you decide there is good info floating around to help you with the rebuild.
I take my hat off to you bro! If you need any advice let me know I also have tons of fwd tranny gears and stuff just laying around if you happen to need anything just pay for shipping and you can have it:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back