The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1997 gst camshaft sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm1997

Probationary Member
Jan 8, 2011
Windsor, ON_Canada
hey guys my buddy needs help here, he changed his block from a 97 to a 96 because he had a walk and he got the 96 block for free and its in good condition. now we setup everything but when we try to install the camshaft sensor which is under the cam gear, we dont find any harness that fits it. and also when we tried to start the car theres no spark. so basically theres no spark to start the car. and yes the crank sensor is hooked up. help PlEASE URGENT.
thanks

edit. wait. if you used the 97 head on your 96 build, then all you have to do is use the crank angle on the block, and then just re-install the 97 cam angle sensor, and plug it into the origional harness plug in. you can just either leave the 96 style(behind the camgear) cas there, cut off the wire to it, it pull apart the timing and remove the entire sensor!. i suggest just leaving the wire tuck out of site, and away from the pullies

Just use the cam sensor off the 97 and you'll be fine. If you choose to use the 96 sensor you will have to get the plug for it and splice it into the 97 wiring harness. Also you will not get any spark without the cam sensor hooked up.

the problem is someone steped on the sensor and broke it while we had it on a side. and since i live in canada it will take long for the sensor to come in, like 5 business days at least. so we got the 96 sensor thought there was no difference LOL, but is there a way to get spark from the 96 camshaft sensor (behind the gear) to the 97 plug and how please
thanks

the problem is someone steped on the sensor and broke it while we had it on a side. and since i live in canada it will take long for the sensor to come in, like 5 business days at least. so we got the 96 sensor thought there was no difference LOL, but is there a way to get spark from the 96 camshaft sensor (behind the gear) to the 97 plug and how please
thanks

you will need a 95-96 cam intake cam GEAR. Not the cam shaft, just the gear. It has a plate on it that runs through the magnet to send a signal for spark.

If both cam gears are oem from the year of the car, they will be different. For example, the oem 97 intake cam gear is identical to the 97 exhaust cam gear. The 95-96 intake cam gear has that cam sensor plate that sends signals to the ecu. And the 96 exhaust gear looks exactly the same as the 97s intake and exhaust gears.

Right.. 97-99 cam sensors are on the passenger side of the intake cam while 95-96 are under the cam GEAR on the intake cam. You'll need a 2ga cam gear, wire the sensor to the original plug then invert the plug wires as the signals for these seperate sensors are opposite..

wire the sensor to the original plug then invert the plug wires as the signals for these seperate sensors are opposite..
ok you said wire the sensor which sensor the 96 or 97 cam sensor? sorry dont know alot about electrcity in dsms. if you can tell me, which wires to invert? like the color of the wires please.
thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back