The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1997 2gb gsx

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostKrazy

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 3, 2012
PHX, Arizona
Hey everyone,
New to the forum, and DSM world really.. so i thought this would be the perfect place to start my entrance into the DSM world and get to know people, so here it goes.

The name is Tyler and i used to be into old muscle cars (chevy v8's), i currently own a 1997 gs eclipse (daily driver) 1997 gsx (project) and a 1972 chevy chevelle (trying to sell to fund the gsx build) FORCED INDUCTION FTW:thumb:

I just bought the gsx last week, it has some tranny problems (5 speed), it grinds and kicks me out of 1st when i let off the clutch, and it grinds into reverse, ANY ADVICE ON THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL
So after buying the gsx, ive been thinking what i wanted to do with it.. but ive came to the conclusion that i want a 450-500+ awhp street machine that i can daily drive and take to the strip on the weekends.. :hellyeah:

So i went onto MAPerformance this morning, and bought alot of stuff, so once i get the trans taken care of, im going to do the timing belt (water pump, maintenance, etc) first off, seeing as how they are notorious for slipping/breaking and bending valves, and as i see it, instead of buying a new head or having mine rebuilt, that $900+ that i can put into other things.. :cool:

Next i will start putting all these new parts on, and yes i spent almost $600 on gauges alone, because im protecting my investment :thumb: and after i get everything on, and all little problems taken care of and my maintenance done, i will be going with DSMlink to get the most out of my upgrades and i will go from there... better fuel system and a bigger turbo will be in the very near future

So let me know what you think so far, im very open to advice and would appreciate it.. im gonna try to put up some pics also, nice to finally be apart of the DSM community, and killing hondas one ricer at a time. :tease:

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 150
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 153
I personally wouldn't have bothered with an EGT gauge. I think they're 100% pointless.

Also I wouldn't have wasted money on one of those outrageously priced intake setups. seeing as you're shooting for 400-500+ street car, and bought your wideband. I would've just got link and the SD cable from ecmtuning and gone SD right away. I feel you'll go that route in the future anyway :thumb:

yea, i dont really understand DSM/ECMlink yet... now since i have a 97, would i need the $150 socket fee? and with the $550 v3 kit, do i just buy it, hook it up to my OBD and my laptop and just start tuning? any advice helps guys, trying to learn :sneaky:

Yeah you'd pay to have that one socketed (or buy a '95 EPROM if you can find one for less), get link v3 and but the SD cable that plugs into your factory maf then into your mdp on top of the manifold. The only hard part (which isn't even that bad) is to have a bung welded to your tb elbow just before the throttle plate for an IAT sensor. Plug it all in and go into link and check the required boxes. That's the most installer friendly way of SD

Ok, well as i said, DSMlink is my next upgrade, ive heard great things about it... and FML for spending $100 on a POS gauge.. :ohdamn: can i send it back and put that money towards DSMlink? :D

it was lowered on springs when i got it, but i know they're just springs, not coils :(

Once i sell my chevelle, ill hopefully have upwards of 10 grand to spend on my GSX, any ideas?

Attachments

• 0514011914.jpg
    0514011914.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 136
LOL well thank you for the compliment.. and i cant lie, it was fun taking it to friday night meets and smoking hondas.. but ive wanted a gsx since 5th grade, and couldnt pass this one up

LOL a buddy and I role in his 500hp beamer and do the same thing so I cant blame you there, it is a good pile of fun. at lest you know what you want, I learnt a long time ago I wont be happy with out a dsm either. Cant wait to see the finished product man, sub'd for sure!

your more than welcome to buy the chevelle bro.. brand new engine in it, the stall converter just went out in it but i have a new torque converter that will go to new owner. :)

Sounds tempting, But I will have me a '66 one day. Besides, You talked about having 10k to modify the Gsx and if that is what your asking for it.... I don't want one that has already been restored, I am looking for a POS that I can restore myself.

Good luck with the sale, And nice cars.

Jayson

looking to get 8k for it, interior is all done, gauges, shifter, steering column, carpet, seats and head liner.. exterior needs paint, top is new.. engine bay needs paint, brand new engine (heads are old but still in great cond) but its a great car.. just want something to haul ass and not get 8 MPG

I personally wouldn't have bothered with an EGT gauge.

Yeah the EGT gauges are old school. Which is awesome because it makes for a cleaner setup.

I have that intake. You might find it difficult to recirculate after you upgrade your bov, but if you vent to atmosphere then that's nothing to worry about.

I already have an upgraded bov, greddy, isn't it just 2 inch hose that will connect them? And I don't wanna blow into the atmosphere ### I'll be running way to rich, correct?

According to your power goals, i would immediately return the intake, no need for that as i'm sure you'll end up using a 3 or 4" intake when you upgrade that turbo.
Also return the egt gauge.

Use that money instead to find yourself a 95 eprom ecu.

According to your power goals, i would immediately return the intake, no need for that as i'm sure you'll end up using a 3 or 4" intake when you upgrade that turbo.
Also return the egt gauge.

Use that money instead to find yourself a 95 eprom ecu.
So what intake do you suggest I buy? And is there any other gauge I should buy/will need in the future?

Like everyone else said ditch the egt and intake. After you get all your maintanence out of the way look into a forced performance 4" intake, dsm link, bigger injectors and holset turbo set up.

Beautiful cars btw. My talon shares a garage with my 69Charger. Im suprised you're getting rid of the muscle for the tuner especially after you finished building(for the most part) your chevelle. Either way goodluck!

Hey everyone!! Just bought a brand new Turbo manifold (no its not a $1,200 one) but its nice LOL..

and yea im gonna send them back and get dsmlink..

and the reason im selling the chevelle is because im 20 years old, married and live in an apartment right now and own 4 cars.. the wife has finally took a stand and told me one has to go, and since the gsx is the newest toy, it cant go :nono:

and thank you for the compliment on my cars, im not a big mopar guy, always been into chevys.. go just as fast for a little less dime ;)

Moving from one money pit to another LOL. But hey man, its a curse we are all under on. GL with the car and beautiful chevelle

thanks for the compliment on my chevelle bro,

so guys i just sent mason at MAP a reply to his email and told him to take the intake and egt gauge off the order, i really want a another gauge because i bought a total of 5 pod spaces and dont wanna look tacky with 4 gauges.. any other gauge i could use now or in the future? and im buying dsmlink once i get my car back from tri city transmission and get my water pump/timing belt done

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back