The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1995 eclipse gsx rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul plevney

Probationary Member
Aug 27, 2014
brainerd, Minnesota
Alright so I recently started blowing smoke so I took my car in and it was the piston rings. Now everything on my car is stock and I wanted to one day put a t4 turbo on. Now I was thinking since the engine is going to be all the way down in the internals now is probably a great time to build up the engine, if I'm going to put a crap ton of money and time into the engine I figured I mine as well build it the way I want. So I was wondering if anyone could write me a list of parts I'll need (i want good quality parts) is there like a kit to build it up or where can I find the parts. My friend was going to help me build it up but he moved away now, but he said the way he learned everything is through YouTube haynes manual and u guys, he said u guys were the best way to go to learn and get advice. So yah if someone could help me with what parts I'll need to get it built up or if anyone has any suggestions for a better setup that'd be helpful. I have a backup car that I'm going to use to drive to work and stuff, winter is coming up anyways so I wanna work on the eclipse this winter and hopefully get it back on the road (with a lot more power) by summer, thank you.

Well if you are gonna do the engine you mine as well swap to a 6 bolt. You can probably buy one off someone in the forums already built for a decent price. I believe a guy is selling one in washington for 500 not a bad price with build rods and pistons. The real question you have ask is how much do want to spend. 1000 2000 3000 its all gonna depend on how deep your pockets are. If you let us know we can give you better ideas of what to buy and how to spend it.

+1 on the 6 bolt swap. You can even find companies who will sell you a built short block for around $1000. But Marc is right, it's difficult to tell anyone what they should get without knowing a budget. For a starter parts list you need some decent rings and bearings. I like using ACL, they make some pretty decent stuff. May be a little overkill but a cometic head gasket isn't a bad idea either. And it should go without saying but a balance shaft eliminator kit is a must to avoid headaches down the road.

Honestly I wouldn't really say i have a budget because i have nothing better to spend money on this winter, I would like to keep it 4000 or under but if I had to go b more for a REALLY good set up then i would. And yah I was thinking about the 6 bolt swap because i read that the 7 bolt is really likely to get crank walk if it's built up. I should also add I'm thinking a goal I want to achieve is around 400 hp. I was originally going to look around for an engine already built up for sale and buy it, but I can do pretty much everything externally on an engine but I don't know much about the internals and I want to learn so that's why I want to build one up, and between you guys and some friends at work that are very mechanically inclined I'm pretty confident it can be done. So yah just aiming to get around 400 hp so need to know things like (u guys already brought up gaskets pistons and rings) valves and such. Injectors I should get to run a t4 fuel pump I'll need. I'm guessing I'll need 3 in exhaust and dsm link. Just any advice u guys could give on parts good brands and ways to achieve that goal. Also another question is the transmission ok to run that much power or do I need to get a different one. Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Well if 4000 is your number. Buy a good put together engine 1g bottom end 2 g head. 1g intake 2g throttle body. as for internals cams 272/262 are good and most people do decent amount of work to heads so you should be able to pick one up with all that done already. 6 bolt with 2g pistons and 1g rods can handle 400. But Weisco pistons and eagle rods are usually a good setup. Doesnt have to be an after market crank. The stock 1g cranks can handle upwards of 500. But this is gonna be a good slap of money but while you have the engine out take the tranny out and put a Quaife differential in it. http://www.quaifeamerica.com/qdh8b.html It may cost a shit ton of money but this will save you money and heart ache. LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF MONEY. I cannot express the point of how weak the diffs are in these cars. Having learned going through 3 with less then 400 hp. You break a diff its most likely to blow a gear through the trans case and bam you are out 500-1k if you get this it makes the trans almost bullet proof. Next Walpro 255lph in tank and a fuel pressure regulator. Along with 800-1000 cc injectors. DSM link v3 is another MUST HAVE. Intercooler and turbo. I would also upgrade to a GM maf translator and get rid of the maf that comes with the car. I would recommend a http://store.forcedperformance.net/...FP&Product_Code=NTDSMFPGREEN&Category_Code=SP or something similar for a turbo. Well that should keep you busy for a while researching and more people will post so. Good luck!

Thank you that was a big help and yah should definitely keep me busy for awhile looking up parts and stuff.

Expect no more then 400 hp. As far as places to shop I most frequently go on extremepsi or STM. You can get rods, pistons, cams, many bolt ons for 4gs but the parts you wont be able to afford under your budget will limit you around 400 hp.[DOUBLEPOST=1409703276][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well if 4000 is your number. Buy a good put together engine 1g bottom end 2 g head. 1g intake 2g throttle body. as for internals cams 272/262 are good and most people do decent amount of work to heads so you should be able to pick one up with all that done already. 6 bolt with 2g pistons and 1g rods can handle 400. But Weisco pistons and eagle rods are usually a good setup. Doesnt have to be an after market crank. The stock 1g cranks can handle upwards of 500. But this is gonna be a good slap of money but while you have the engine out take the tranny out and put a Quaife differential in it. http://www.quaifeamerica.com/qdh8b.html It may cost a sh** ton of money but this will save you money and heart ache. LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF MONEY. I cannot express the point of how weak the diffs are in these cars. Having learned going through 3 with less then 400 hp. You break a diff its most likely to blow a gear through the trans case and bam you are out 500-1k if you get this it makes the trans almost bullet proof. Next Walpro 255lph in tank and a fuel pressure regulator. Along with 800-1000 cc injectors. DSM link v3 is another MUST HAVE. Intercooler and turbo. I would also upgrade to a GM maf translator and get rid of the maf that comes with the car. I would recommend a http://store.forcedperformance.net/...FP&Product_Code=NTDSMFPGREEN&Category_Code=SP or something similar for a turbo. Well that should keep you busy for a while researching and more people will post so. Good luck!
The diff is a good idea but for 200 more tmz will do a stage 1 rebuild. Besides his axles will limit him slightly before the diff.

TMZ wants 2650 for a diff that is stronger then stock i will pass. I can get a rebuild of all new stuff and put this diff in for less then 2k. Over inflated prices on their part.

Alright well now I found out I'm not moving across the state soon so now I can pretty much save any money I need to do anything since I'm staying at this job. What do u guys think is the best hp for the price. Because u know as like an example let's say just hypothetically that around 4 grand could get me the parts for a 400 hp build but then I find out 5000 in parts could have gotten me to like 600 hp. You know what I mean? Not saying that's the prices just making an example that I don't want to put a lot of time and money into it and find out o hey if I would have just went a little higher I could have gotten a big difference. And also (since I have a lot more money to work with now seen how my bills are only about 400 a month and I'm making a grand every two weeks) I'm really interested in learning about the short block route, what are the big benefits of that route.

if i was you go for around 400. Trust me 600 seems great but SO much trouble happens with that much power.400 you might break axles and small shit. 600 you start to worry about the engine internals new or not. I don't care if you have brand new shit you put down 600 i have seen rods thrown less then 1000 miles and boom you are out another 2-3k
I would build the engine up to 400 or so and then build around it aka Suspension, brakes, and big one is fuel management. there is so much money to spend other then power to get a car to run right and fast so.

Yah that's true I guess I didn't really think about that, i know there's a lot you can do with dsm link to but from my point of view though that is beyond confusing, when I get everything built up and get the dsm link I will probably end up starting a new forum on just how to use that

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back